Bank Holiday cycle tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
AirTime

Bank Holiday cycle tour

Post by AirTime »

Hi all
i was thinking of doing something with the mrs this bank holiday. now she isn't really a cyclist (not yet anyway!) and the furthest she's done in one day is 30miles. now can anyone think of a suitable tour that we could do for fri / sat / sun and come back to london on monday? camping is fine. (we're based in london).

was thinking of trying to get across to france but knowing me i'd either get lost, run out of food and thoroughly put her off cycling for life! so need to think of somewhere that would be 'easy' touring.

i've also just got a garmin 800 so would like to download a route and plug it into that! any help much appreciated!
Big T

Re: Bank Holiday cycle tour

Post by Big T »

Whereabouts in London are you?

You could head out from east London into Epping Forest and on up towards Cambridge if you have the time. Or head out towards the Surrey hills, or there's some nice countryside west of London heading into the Chilterns via Maidenhead and Henley.

If you're willing to catch a train, then the world is your oyster. Norfolk has some delightfull lanes, you could catch the train to Kings Lynn and explore the lanes around Sandringham and on up towards the coast at Wells and Sheringham (not flat but no massive or steep hills).
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
AirTime

Post by AirTime »

I'm in north london so the option of heading into east Anglian sounds appealing. I'll look into routes to cambridge! Cheers
binsted

Post by binsted »

Devon coast to coast ? 100 miles in 3 days should be OK for novice cyclist.
salsafargo

Post by salsafargo »

have a look at the chiltern way think its about 120 mile round trip
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

There are a couple of series of books with routes around London - a guy called Nick Cotton wrote one set. Your library may have them.

For a relative beginner you are looking at something like Norfolk or Suffolk (or Kent/Sussex coast). Chilterns and Surrey hills probably too hilly [EDIT: see below]. For Suffolk try this about the Sussex Coast cycle route:

http://www.suffolkcoastal.gov.uk/yourfr ... ycleroute/
Last edited by andymiller on 21 Aug 2013, 2:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Here is our Cambridge ctc ride from Kings Cross to Cambridge blog, 60 miles. The map at the bottom may be interest, we followed the river Lea all the way from the Olympic Stadium to outside the M25.

http://blog.ctc-cambridge.org.uk/2013/0 ... -fast.html
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

If you fancy the Chilterns keep away from Reading on Friday, its the Festival. You can easily access the new Chilterns cycleway from Twyford or Henley. On the Chilterns there is one long easy slope up to the ridge which is steep but short. I wouldn't agree that the area is outside the compass of a novice. Unlike many other areas there is hundreds of miles of narrow car free byways. It's a magic area to cycle and the views with the yellow wheatfieds are stunning at present.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

al_yrpal wrote:I wouldn't agree that the area is outside the compass of a novice.

I've just realised I was thinking of the Cotswolds. So thanks for picking me up on that. :oops: