Netbook for touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
al_yrpal

Re: Netbook for touring

Post by al_yrpal »

Sweep wrote:I crossposted mr jemm.

No not you :)

Yep was using it outside - no joy at first - see above for some progress again outside.

previous post!
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

al_yrpal wrote:Why does nobody look at previous posts properly?

Al

I think there's been some crossposting/folks typing at the same time Al.

These things happen

all the best

thanks all for input
Sweep
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Glad things are looking hopeful.

Am using the screen keyboard on my tablet, so is a real pain an probably slowing me down drastically! Going to have to get a keyboard like Al's, in Windows version of course.

Don't know if garmin basecamp is available for Android, but I'm downloading some open maps now...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

>>At one point something popped up saying that google couldn't link to what it wanted

I should maybe point Al that this occured after I got it all working - sometimes there are bugs/oddities, not features - the technology isn't always right - we are free men, not just data/numbers :)

(apologies to Patrick)

If anyone has some nice maps other than cyclestreets/memory map I'd be interested.

Pretty sure Basecamp isn't available on Android.
Sweep
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Sweep, does the Hudl gps now work with location switched on?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I'm using a sony xperia z ultra with ipbike and where necessary a portable external battery. A cycle mount is available and the phone is waterproof. I've found the setup very usable.. Without the portable battery I can get 4+ hours depending on various settings. It is expensive. You can do similar with a Sony Xperia Arc S but that's not so nice as a tablet substitute. Of course I don't go touring so you have to take my input with a pinch of salt. I'm happy enough with my setup that I've stopped using my Bryton 50. The screen is big enough that using normal websites is perfectly possible (assuming you have cell or access to wifi).
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

al_yrpal wrote:Sweep, does the Hudl gps now work with location switched on?

Al

Yes it does work

I don't really think this was the issue though.

A quick google search will show other folk have had issues with the power of the Hudl GPS/its ability to lock on.

(other internet searches by the by will also find that the volume is also an issue for many on certain media feeds - there are some very helpful folks on the internet)

So in summary my first summary of experiences of the Hudl for touring.

GPS maybe needs a bit of kicking - now working - not as good as the Garmin Etrex20 of course and it couldn't reasonably be expected to be - a useful adjunct though - can see myself using it at cafe pit stops or outside the tent of an evening.

Sound issue with built-in speakers - pity the onboard software system can't make full use of the speakers (I wasn't expecting Sensurround) but though I don't really like using earphones they can be used for stuff like iplayer.

Left side intermittent screen block/failure - definitely an issue but it appears so far that it can always be resolved by just turning the screen off (sleep) and then back on. This only takes a second and does not I stress mean that you are rebooting/exiting apps. I was in a Tesco the other day and asked two folk at customer services who both actually had Hudls whether they had any knowledge of this. Both said no but to be honest I had the impression from the expression of one that that one was bluffing somewhat. This is of course one of the reasons why I research stuff on the internet and garner user experiences and also ask (hopefully) helpful folk on forums. This screen lock might be an issue if you are a gameplayer but I can live with it.

Generally very pleased with it and would recommend it. Build quality seems excellent. Spec also very good - in particular mini SD card slot and built in mini HDMI. Some more expensive tabs won't take cards and instead charge you over the odds for added memory models. And the Samsung Tab 3 10.1 inch actually forces you to buy an extra hub device to plug into the mini USB if you want HDMI capability. In a unit that is so much bigger (and expensive) that really is taking the P. The Hudl can also access BBC iplayer downloads - as yet the Samsung can't.

So with a hudl you can merrily sit in a Wspoons, download some progs, navigate merrily back to tent (but using Etrex) and then view whatever with the headphones on.

So in general a thumbs up.

Hopefully the sound issue and ther left screen issue will be sorted in a future update.

PS - on folks' apparent ignorance of your posts Al - this I'm pretty sure is because, unlike some forums, this one doesn't seem to tell you that someone else has posted to a topic while you are typing - or maybe mine was affected by a noscript thing I'm experimenting with. NB - I'm not criticising this wonderful generally peaceful forum.
Sweep
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Well, my tablet gps doesn't operate at all if location is switched off. I have the latest version of Android because the Nexus is an Asus/Google tablet. Never had a left side screen problem or speaker problem. Get the Tesco bods to play a music file through the speakers on a demo tablet. It does sound as though yours is faulty and should be replaced under warranty. My daughter just got a free Samsung tablet with a camera, they are giving them away because the design is now out of date.

Al
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the reply Al.

I checked out the online Tesco help yesterday and there is a very recent new post from them (at least they are onto things) which pretty much confirms that I'm not alone with this left side issue.

I then spoke to a generally helpful Tesco bod and they said a software update was being prepared to address this issue.

Of course the problem with updates is that they can solve one thing while ***ing something else and sometimes there's no easy way to go back.

I don't think it's vital to have the latest version of anything - software or operating system - just a box of tricks that does what you want.

I have also (and I stress that this is not a "mytech tech competition" found stuff online in my Tesco trawl about earlier issues with Nexus units.

I must also admit to a certain dislike of Google's attempts to tie itself into folks' lives and certain other practices so have a certain reluctance to give it money.

I have also by the way (!) discovered that the Hudl is very poor indeed for Skype - discovered this after someone Skyped me - didn't even realise Skype was on thanks to its mucked around software - have used it a lot in the past on an aging XP machine - its more recent app-approach on tabs and on my Windows 8.1 laptop are not usability advances in my view.

So the Hudl does have certain drawbacks - suppose I have to ask myself how much I am likely to use it for Skype.

Having confirmed with a somewhat evasive (on this issue) Tesco bod that it can be returned until end of January I am still musing whether to return it.

As a touring tab I would still give it strong consideration - the issues I ave outlined might not really be a great drawback for many.

The £15 non leather Tesco case for it is excellent - protects it very well - I would have no qualms about putting it in a pannier.

Thanks for your posts Al
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Hope I'm not taking things too off topic but couldn't help myself.

Linked to my point above.

On the subject of google's less than wonderful instincts, this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25680010

Already p'ed off with their efforts to link youtube to my life online and otherwise. Despite my best efforts and creating a special semi obscene email for youtube they have still managed to link it to other stuff.

Time to start checking their promised opt outs.

Don't want this hassle when pedalling through glorious countryside for sure.
Sweep