Any tripod tourists?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
1982john

Any tripod tourists?

Postby 1982john » 3 Nov 2013, 11:29am

Hey everyone,

Does anyone take a tripod for touring? If so could you recommend one. I want to take my three thirds camera and to really make the most of it I will need a tripod.

Couple ive looked at so far are

Zipshot ultra-light very good value and super lite but seems to only have one height...

Hama traveler 1.4kg but still very cheap and can move up and down.

or something like a gorillaPod only small height but very flexible ie make use of walls etc.

thoughts?

1982john

Re: Any tripod tourists?

Postby 1982john » 3 Nov 2013, 12:03pm

I think i will get one of those either way as it could be wrapped round your handlebars for a bit of video shooting. Would be nice to see if anyone using full size tripods :)

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 3 Nov 2013, 12:08pm

I just got one of those tiny ones in Aldi, seems OK and has a quick release vee at the top that eliminates unscrewing

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

DaleFTW

Postby DaleFTW » 3 Nov 2013, 12:12pm

1982john wrote:I think i will get one of those either way as it could be wrapped round your handlebars for a bit of video shooting. Would be nice to see if anyone using full size tripods :)

My post is missing the text I put with it.

I quite like the couple of cheap Chinese Gorillapod knockoffs I've got - I've got a small one and a bigger one for my big bridge type camera thingy. I bought them because at a couple of quid it was no great loss if they were rubbish, but brilliant if they work. And they do! If you understand their limitations, they're a great bit of kit - Small, light, cheap. Spotty dog.

BeeKeeper

Postby BeeKeeper » 3 Nov 2013, 12:13pm

If you want something very compact but with the performance of a full sized tripod then this takes a lot of beating - but it is by no means cheap: http://www.ephotozine.com/article/velbo ... view-16820

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 3 Nov 2013, 1:41pm

I use two tripods....

The first and heavy duty one is the Manfrotto MKC3 lighter than the Velbon, but slightly longer (15 cms) , and a not an issue as it fixes to the top of the rack.

IT is a fifth of the price of the Velbon if you shop around and has a brilliant one handed locking and movement system that makes framing a doddle. I use this when I am featuring churches, abbeys cathedrals etc on the tour or day out.

For lighter travel I use a cheap Velbon summit, about 300g and about 25 cms long. It is a little flimsy but used with a remote is fine.
Last edited by Cunobelin on 3 Nov 2013, 8:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

1982john

Postby 1982john » 3 Nov 2013, 2:21pm

I like the look of the manfrotto model as its only £38 at amazon, I dont think im going to find anything under 1kg with as much flexibility.

PH

Postby PH » 3 Nov 2013, 7:05pm

I use a mono pod, bungee cord and bike. Most times just the mono pod is enough on it's own, other times it needs attaching to the bike. In theory there's also places that will let you use a mono (Or not notice) which won't let you use a tripod, I haven't put this into practice yet.

fausto copy

Postby fausto copy » 3 Nov 2013, 7:07pm

1982john wrote: I dont think im going to find anything under 1kg with as much flexibility.

Well that's one function of a tripod you definitely could do without! :wink:

Sorry, I'll get me coat....

Mattie

Postby Mattie » 3 Nov 2013, 8:16pm

I took a SLIK Sprint Mini II, it is compact and light but still a proper tripod with a ball head.

Used it for this and many other pics:

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 3 Nov 2013, 8:32pm

1982john wrote:I like the look of the manfrotto model as its only £38 at amazon, I dont think im going to find anything under 1kg with as much flexibility.

£40 in Dixons / Currys etc.

Good news is that you get a chance to play and ensure that it is what you want.

Whet amuses me is that Manfrottto designed a compact travel tripod called the Befree - only 2 cms shorter when folded and 300 g heavier......and again 4 -5 times the cost!

I never really intended to tour or travel with the present one, but it is a real winner on weight and reducing the length by a few cms is not worth £130

phil parker

Postby phil parker » 3 Nov 2013, 8:46pm

I have used my Manfrotto 190 carbon for day trips, where taking photos was the priority, but I take a Gorillapod when I'm cycle-touring (camping) and it bungees externally along side my tent. Great bit of kit; I've not yet used it wrapped around the handlebars?!

RonK

Postby RonK » 4 Nov 2013, 10:01am

Tamrac Zipshot for my Sony RX100.

And a XSories Big Ushot for my GoPro.

The theory is simple: a) cycling is inherently fun, and b) the less weight you carry, the more fun it is.

Tour Journals, Articles and Blog: Whispering Wheels

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 4 Nov 2013, 10:45am

My new camera (Panasonic Lumix LF1) has WiFi. When you want a 'self' shot you can mount the camera on its tripod, start the wifi and link to your smartphone. You can then adjust the zoom to frame the shot and control the self timer, white balance, iso and shutter from the phone. This function will no doubt appear in many new cameras soon. If you want to avoid getting a picture of you staring at your phone you must use the self timer!

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?