charging gadgets

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
patpalloon

charging gadgets

Postby patpalloon » 6 Nov 2013, 3:34pm

Any tips on charging gadgets while cycle touring in UK and Europe? I'm doing a mixture of hostels/camping - how do you keep your gadgets charged up while camping? I'll be taking phone, Garmin, mp3 player, Kindle (lasts ages :D ) and possibly tablet.
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.

gloomyandy

Re: charging gadgets

Postby gloomyandy » 6 Nov 2013, 4:48pm

I have one of those USB battery packs things, which can be used to charge up other stuff. I turn my phone off for most of the time, only turning it on for a short period each day to check for messages and phone home. With a combination of these are charging things at hostels camp sites, cafes, ferries etc. I can usually manage without having to try and charge things on the bike.

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 6 Nov 2013, 6:16pm

Why are you taking so much?

I take a clever phone - I can do pretty much anything with it, word processing, mapping, back up camera, gps etc and its only one thing to charge! Just had to replace my old faithful with a new thing that even has most of the stuff pre installed!

In my experience you can generally keep your kit topped up at campsites and any bricks and mortar give an opportunity for more intensive use and full charging. My best advice is get a dedicated power lead for where you are headed - they cost next to nothing and avoid lumping around assorted adapters which are likely to fail anyway. My new phone has come supplied with a 2 pin euro adapter as standard! :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

Ray

Postby Ray » 6 Nov 2013, 6:22pm

foxyrider wrote:I take a clever phone - I can do pretty much anything with it, word processing, mapping, back up camera, gps etc and its only one thing to charge! Just had to replace my old faithful with a new thing that even has most of the stuff pre installed! . . . . My new phone has come supplied with a 2 pin euro adapter as standard! :D

Sounds good - may I ask which phone this is?

Ray
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 6 Nov 2013, 6:30pm

I've ended up with a Blackberry Q5 as I hate using screens for typing!

http://uk.blackberry.com/smartphones/blackberry-q5.html
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

Ray

Postby Ray » 6 Nov 2013, 6:38pm

Thanks, Foxy - will have a closer look at one of those.

Ray
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell

skicat

Postby skicat » 6 Nov 2013, 6:41pm

foxyrider wrote:
I take a clever phone - I can do pretty much anything with it, word processing, mapping, back up camera, gps etc and its only one thing to charge! Just had to replace my old faithful with a new thing that even has most of the stuff pre installed!

The words 'eggs' and 'basket' spring to mind :wink:
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

Ray

Postby Ray » 6 Nov 2013, 6:52pm

skicat wrote:The words 'eggs' and 'basket' spring to mind :wink:

Well, yes, but there's always an element of risk. How many bikes are you going to take?

Ray
Ray

123ttam

Postby 123ttam » 6 Nov 2013, 6:58pm

I too just take my Smart phone (samsung galaxy s3) I have a 32gb micro sd card and store loads on that and have the kindle app for reading books plus about a 100 albums
it comes with a satnav, plus i run the UK atlas Lite app but if you cant get the internet then I also photograph the relevant maps and just zoom in using the phone is easy.
We take a Video camera my wifes phone and kindle. I can keep it all charged with my hub dynamo and a USB-werk from Rose we dont carry any other tech. its all kept switched off untill needed.

Matt

nmnm

Postby nmnm » 7 Nov 2013, 12:22am

I'm using an iphone just now - no replaceable battery so I used an external battery pack on last trip, allowing about 3 recharges. Meant that I could sometimes leave the battery charging in toilet blocks, unattended.

You'd need a bigger version maybe, with all the devices!

jamesgilbert

Postby jamesgilbert » 7 Nov 2013, 8:00am

On a similar thread a while ago someone mentioned using one of these adapters (http://www.amazon.fr/XLPT-adaptateur-%C ... B00BIGYDSU) for plugging in directly to campsite electricity boxes (the ones used by caravans). For me this would just be unnecessary extra weight, and campsites usually charge you extra too.

With my basic phone (only turned on occasionally to send a text) and a camera being my only gadgets, I get by very easily, especially with an occasional night in a youth hostel or B&B. I've always left the camera battery charging in campsite toilets overnight with no problems.

Tigerbiten

Postby Tigerbiten » 7 Nov 2013, 8:52am

You really have 3 options for charging devices ......
Mains, Dynamo, Solar.
Either charge devices directly or charge a battery pack then charge the device via a usb cable.
Each has it own advantage/disadvantage with regards cost of setup and ease of use.

I've found that it helps to have a battery pack that will keep you going 2-3 days just incase you cannot find mains, a couple of days off cycling, suns behind clouds, etc, etc.

So just mix and match as needed ..... :D

patpalloon

Postby patpalloon » 7 Nov 2013, 10:41am

foxyrider wrote:Why are you taking so much?

I too have a clever phone, so I probably won't take the tablet as is quite bulky. Th problem is battery life. I have to have music. my mp3 player is tiny and holds my entire music collection :D my Garmin is the edge 500 which just records your ride and gives you speed, gradient, direction etc. I like the Kindle as the battery lasts ages, I prefer reading books on that rather than a LCD display. Also I have the old 3g version which means you can use it to get free internet anywhere.
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 7 Nov 2013, 12:22pm

I agre about adaptors. If only going to one plug style country/region, then buy the correct unit. Cheap and better than all those adaptors. Unfortunately I need, US style (Taiwan), 3 pin (Malaysia) and two pin ( Thai), for this trip. All that lot weighs more than the tablet!

Re chargers, a good light fallback is a plug in car type. Small and light and if you get chatting on a campsite anyone with a car can give you a charge. I used this on recent short UK camping trip for smartphone. Better than leaving in the loo or kitchen.

If you are thinking of taking all the devices listed above, maybe take a car to charge them in.

andymiller

Postby andymiller » 7 Nov 2013, 8:29pm

A power pack is useful. If you are planning on staying in a hotel/hostel say one night in three or four then it might be enoughI have a NewTek one which I bought because it didn't need a dedicated charger (my previous one did). They are heavy but very useful. Bear in mind that they take quite along time to charge - as much as 24 hours if you've run them down completely - so overnight in a hotel may not be enough.

On the subject of chargers it's worth getting a universal charger with interchangeable tips. Asda (no don't mock) do a good one for £6 (you'll find the same one on sale elsewhere at twice or even triple that).

You might also want to look for a charger that will charger more than one device at a time - I got a USB charger from Amazon with four outlets.

Whatever charger/power pack you get, make sure it charges all your devices. some charge at 1.1a and some charge at 2.1 (numbers from memory so don't beat me up).

If you are planning on spending a lot of nights camping then one of these will be very handy:

$(KGrHqZ,!lQFJ!gYpJZbBS(rIVfyPQ~~60_35.jpg
$(KGrHqZ,!lQFJ!gYpJZbBS(rIVfyPQ~~60_35.jpg (8.49 KiB) Viewed 2408 times

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/240v-3-Round- ... 0746689897