charging gadgets

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
randomblue

Re: charging gadgets

Postby randomblue » 8 Nov 2013, 9:59am

Regarding having to take lots of different adaptors, you can get 'worldwide' adaptors like this which have all the slots in the top for multiple socket types which is handy if you pick anything up along the way that needs charging and saves stacking different adaptors! And you press a button on the side and slide the sliders down and for each one a different set of pins comes out the other end so you can do pretty much any socket to any socket =) I'm sure there will be countries it doesn't cover but at least it combines most of them!

brianleach

Postby brianleach » 8 Nov 2013, 5:12pm

Here is another not cheap and not particularly environmental alternative.

It gives you the facility to charge all devices from 4 x AA batteries. Unless you are going somewhere really exotic they should always be available locally.

I've never found solar chargers particularly effective.

https://www.powertraveller.com/en/shop/ ... erchimp4a/

andymiller

Postby andymiller » 8 Nov 2013, 7:08pm

If you're planning on spending much time in the rest of Europe it's worth considering simply getting a continental two pin charger (or chargers) so you can leave the adapter at home.

brianleach wrote:Here is another not cheap and not particularly environmental alternative.

It gives you the facility to charge all devices from 4 x AA batteries. Unless you are going somewhere really exotic they should always be available locally.

In an emergency maybe, but AA batteries are very bad for recharging other batteries - a lot of the energy is dissipated as heat and the voltage falls off quickly so you end up with half used batteries. A dedicated power pack with a [lithium polymer???] battery works much better.

jamesgilbert wrote:On a similar thread a while ago someone mentioned using one of these adapters (http://www.amazon.fr/XLPT-adaptateur-%C ... B00BIGYDSU) for plugging in directly to campsite electricity boxes (the ones used by caravans). For me this would just be unnecessary extra weight, and campsites usually charge you extra too.

I have an adapter which converts from the three round-pin triple phase to continental round two pins. It's one piece with three outlet sockets. It weighs 130g so the weight isn't really much of an issue. These are very common in Italy but I couldn't find a picture or anything similar in the UK (it would help if I knew what it should be called. If I remember I might post a photo.

Many campsites include electricity in the price - but I always resent having to pay the same price as someone running a campervan with airconditioning, but sometimes the convenience is sometimes worth paying for.