Route to Portsmouth ferry

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
stevelr51

Route to Portsmouth ferry

Postby stevelr51 » 19 Nov 2013, 11:00am

Hi folks,

I'm looking to pick someones brains ok, I'm looking for a cycle route from Swindon Wilts to the Portsmouth ferry, has anyone here done this route ???

Many thanks

Steve

AndyK

Re: Route to Portsmouth ferry

Postby AndyK » 19 Nov 2013, 11:20pm

Not in one go, but I've done Swindon-Winchester and Winchester-Portsmouth many times. It depends what kind of a ride you want - fast, flattish* and busy, or scenic, hilly and quiet. I favour the latter, so I'd do something like...

Aldbourne - Ramsbury - Great Bedwyn - St Mary Bourne - Micheldever Station - Alresford - Cheriton - Kilmeston - Meonstoke - Soberton - Southwick then up Portsdown Hill, down past Alexandra Hospital into Cosham, head south for half a mile or so on the A397 Northern Road until I could pick up the cycle path that runs round the north shore of Portsmouth to the Mountbatten Centre.
From there you can either brave the main roads for the last 3/4 mile (not too bad but the final roundabout can be a bit intimidating) or continue to follow the signposted cycle route which is fiddly and slow but keeps you away from the traffic.

* flattish is a relative term. We don't do flat round these parts.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 20 Nov 2013, 6:14am

brianleach

Postby brianleach » 22 Nov 2013, 2:21pm

I live in Winchester but never cycle to Portsmouth. Always take the train and the traffic on the south coast can be grim.

Perhaps I'm just a lazy wimp!!

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 22 Nov 2013, 3:41pm

from Gloucester, I've been Wootton Bassett, Marlborough, Great Bedwyn, Vernham Dean, St Mary Bourne, Whitchurch, New Alresford, Cheriton, Exton, Soberton Heath, into Cosham on the B2177, past the station, and picked up cycle tracks into Portsmouth, avoiding the M27/A27 roundabout

[edit]
Seems to be much the same as AndyK's
Last edited by andrew_s on 22 Nov 2013, 10:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

phil parker

Postby phil parker » 22 Nov 2013, 9:34pm

stevelr51 wrote:Hi folks, I'm looking to pick someones brains ok, I'm looking for a cycle route from Swindon Wilts to the Portsmouth ferry, has anyone here done this route ?

Yes, I've done this route from just south of Marlborough, in 2010 when on my way to catch the ferry to France for a cycling trip. I didn't keep the route (I use Garmin) and BRT isn't working on my computer at the moment, otherwise I could have given you a route.

It depends what sort of route you are looking for: fast & busy or quiet and slower? Anyway...if it was me I would take the B4192 to Aldbourne; Ramsbury; Great Bedwyn; Oxenwood. Then you can take the flatter Bourne Valley route through Vernham Dean; Hurstbourne Tarrant; Hustbourne Priors; Long Parish; Barton Stacey on to the A272 into Winchester (no real way of avoiding this!). Then look at the B roads to Corhampton (these are still busy as there is a bit of a rat run to the South Coast) through Droxford down to the B2177 and then follow the signs in to Portsmouth.

stevelr51

Postby stevelr51 » 30 Nov 2013, 10:05pm

Hi folks a huge thank you to you all for your input, it is gratefully recieved :)