Where next after Provence ?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Therealsouthstander

Where next after Provence ?

Post by Therealsouthstander »

Looking to do another short 7 or 8 Day cycle/camping trip next Summer ish.

I've been on two fantastic trips over the last few years,one was to The Outer Hebbrides in Scotland and last year we went to Provence in the South of France.

We started in Marseille then headed up to Aix-en -Provence and on to the Luberon.We then made our way to Avignon then back through The Gorges du Verdon before arriving in Nice then on to Monaco.Had a fantastic time although it was on the cool side.We were there the last week of May and the first weekend of June.We saw some amazing sites and eat some truely wonderful food.

Anyway,was wondering where to go next year ? Was thinking about Corsica or can anyone recommend some other areas? It doesn't have to be France but I do like it there.We don't mind hills but not really hard climbs,we were up over 4000 ft in the Gorges du Verdon and that was fine.

Looking forward to reading your suggestions
Big T

Re: Where next after Provence ?

Post by Big T »

Fly to Geneva and head south into the Alps to see how far you get.

A few years ago we did a 2 week tour in this area, including a loop around the north side of Lac Leman, into the Jura mountains, then down to Montreux, Aigle and Martigny and back over to Chamonix, then Megeve, Flumet, Beaufort and Bourg St Maurice taking in the Col de Saisses and Cormet de Roseland, then over the Col d'Iseran and down to Briancon, then Cols de Lauteret, Galibier, Madelaine, up to Albertville and Annecy and back to Geneva. You may not get as far south as we did if you only have 8 days.

You said you don't mind a bit of climbing :D .
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
ScotchEgg

Post by ScotchEgg »

Down the western coast of Italy from Livorno. Fly to Florence then ride out and then down the coast, its sensational!
Therealsouthstander

Post by Therealsouthstander »

Wow - Over 6000 views to this post and only 2 replies ,looks like there's plenty of lurkers on here :D

Not sure if we're keen on the Alps as it may be a bit difficult for us but I'm interested to hear more about Italy.
What road did you take to the coast and what road South ? We like going through little villages where we can camp and get some decent food.Are the roads quiet enough to enjoy the area ?

Any tips regarding routes would be most welcome.
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

I have a soft spot for France. I'd suggest the Pyrennees. If big hills and tough passes aren't your thing, stick to the foothills. The Languedoc region is also lovely for cycling and canping that time of year. Spain and Italy are too warm for me, but if you found Provence too chilly in late May early June, maybe you'd be fine in Italy. Tuscany and the Marches have great scenery and food like Provence and lend themselves well to touring on a bike. The white villages of Andalucia is another great region for touring but really way too hot then.
hillspecial

Post by hillspecial »

http:/
Last edited by hillspecial on 6 Apr 2016, 12:01pm, edited 2 times in total.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Wow the world is your oyster so to speak; Alps, Pyrennees, Cevannes/ Gorges of Ardeche, Tarn etc., Border area; Rhine / Black Forest. Corsica is beautiful and well worth it, there are other threads on here that have talked about Corsica.... but remember it is hilly and has it's own ski season, it is also French prices + a bit.. (or it was last time I went). After that; Ireland, Southern Poland / Tatras, Dolomites, Peloponese/Greece, Northern Spain, Southern Spain and Andalucía..... List is endless...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
hillspecial

Post by hillspecial »

Yeah Corscia is on my 'to cycle' list too.

Eileithyia , liking 'Horwich Which is Lancs :-)'

But so then is Bewton, Darren, Southport, the whole of Furness, Liverpool & Manchester etc ?

As you leave Blackpool there are signs saying 'Welcome to Lancashire'.

Is there no end to the money that national and local government is happy to waste?