Flying home from a tour - luggage

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
randomblue

Flying home from a tour - luggage

Post by randomblue »

Hi guys!

I'm looking at booking a flight home for the end of my tour next year while they're still super cheap and am stumped about which baggage option to select!

Obviously I'm going to want to book the bike itself, but for the rest of my gear I'm debating whether it would be possible to get it in as hand luggage?

I'm looking at possible flights with both Monarch and Ryanair and with hand luggage only they work out to be the same price.

Both have an allowance of 10kg with dimensions given and since I'll be flying home, I can thrown away a bunch of things like any leftover food, toiletries, fuel for the stove and possibly a few of the clothes if they're looking a bit worn. I'm also more than happy to wear any remaining clothes even if it means I look like a lunatic. I figure I can also stash certain things like bike pump and a few bits of my tool kit in/on the bike frame?

So the kind of things I'm going to need to get in the luggage are tent, sleeping bag, stove and kitchen gear, the panniers themselves and maybe a few electronics (kindle being the biggest at the moment) although I think I can get away with stashing mp3, phone etc in pockets if I'm close to the bag weight limit. I have either panniers I can use as a bag or a big stuff sack that I think should fit the dimensions. If necessary I can use luggage straps to hold in the bag slightly if its a little bit over size wise.

I know this is super vague and I'm probably going to get several replies asking about the weight of my kit but I haven't purchased most of it yet. This means I can light weight most of it, but I am also considering going for an inexpensive tent that I'm happy to throw away before the flight. Besically the gist of what I'm asking is whether anyone has flown with a bike and hand luggage only when touring and if this worked out ok? I think my main concern is the space the kit will take up rather than the weight?

Thank in advance for any tips/suggestions!
foxyrider

Re: Flying home from a tour - luggage

Post by foxyrider »

I did this last summer - you will struggle in terms of size if not weight.

Have you considered posting stuff back? I've done that in the past, it can work out cheaper than booking a bag on a plane and you don't have the issue of carrying the stuff either. A lot of foreign airports have post offices where you can even buy a box to use.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
randomblue

Post by randomblue »

Yeah I've also been considering this. I might as well take most of it on the plane since hand luggage is free but I might post a couple of the bulky but light items back like the sleeping bag.

I guess it's something I can see about at the time depending on the space/weight my final kit takes up and make the decision then. I think the thigns that might cause most trouble is my panniers because they're the Vaude ones with the solid back so they'd probably cause the post problems space wise.

Having looked into it I think it definitely isn't worth paying an extra £30 for a hold luggage if I can get most in the hand luggage limit and post the rest back hopefully at minimal cost!

Thanks for your reply!
Big T

Post by Big T »

Just a thought. Can you put kitchen equipment in your hand luggage? Wouldn't things like knives/forks be classed as weapons?
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

also consider possible security restrictions on hand luggage - for example tent pegs
randomblue

Post by randomblue »

Two very good points!

I think I'm only going to be using cheapy cutlery and tent pegs so I would have no problem throwing those away if necessary but I guess tent poles and other kitchen kit, like the cooker itself, might also be a problem.

I can always resort to checking when I get there (planning to spend a few days in Barcelona before flying back anyway) and post anything I'm not allowed in hand luggage. I'll be moving back into a flat with all my normal stuff anyway so not like I'll need the tent or camping stove as soon as I arrive!

I'll just wait and see how it goes!! Thanks for all your tips guys!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Be careful with a used stove as depending on type it may be illegal to fly with it (vapour in tank).

Are you boxing your bike? You can often stuff some gear in there, but beware that some airlines/airports don't allow this, ie bike only in the box.

Also if flying with budget airline they are super strict on size and weight of hand luggage. It would be tough if you were denied boarding unless you paid to have your overweight stuff put in the hold.

To be honest, for only 30 quid I would buy the luggage allowance and not have to worry. Postage may be more than you think and then cost of replacing stuff you throw. If the tent is even half good, isn't it worth keeping?
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

I've used Raynair, Jet2 and Easyjet regularly and all over the past 18 months. I use a cardboard bike box and tape it, with good packing tape and a belt & braces approach. I never let the tyres down and I pack all sorts in the box, tools, clothing etc Right up to the weight limit, anything left over is carry on. Never a problem.

Yes, be careful re tools, I accidentally left a little multi-tool in my panniers (they were my carry on luggage), confiscated at check in.
legsonabike

Post by legsonabike »

I did the same thing in May this year, cycled to Geneva then flew easy jet back to Manchester. I took 2 of those blue Ikea bags, they are cheap, light and tough. I managed to get all four pannier bags in one then put the other over the top to form a cube. I cadged some extra packing tape when I bought a cardboard bike box at Geneva airport. I made sure I had fully drained my Coleman duel fuel stove so had no worries about it going in the hold. I just scraped under the 20 kg. limit. I used my bar bag as hand luggage. I hope your trip goes as well as mine did.
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

legsonabike wrote:I did the same thing in May this year, cycled to Geneva then flew easy jet back to Manchester. I took 2 of those blue Ikea bags, they are cheap, light and tough. I managed to get all four pannier bags in one then put the other over the top to form a cube. I cadged some extra packing tape when I bought a cardboard bike box at Geneva airport. I made sure I had fully drained my Coleman duel fuel stove so had no worries about it going in the hold. I just scraped under the 20 kg. limit. I used my bar bag as hand luggage. I hope your trip goes as well as mine did.

Those Ikea bags are so useful, I put 2 panniers in one and carry on as hand luggage, Ryanair tried to catch me out with their slip over cardboard box , but you can squish it and use bungees to fit!
johnonhisbike

Post by johnonhisbike »

We take one of those £1-shop plaid laundry bags with us. They're light, fold away neatly and will hold 4 panniers and a tent quite easily. Just one bag to check in.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I've done the same thing with a large military type duffel. They will take two panniers and a single person tent, so there is only one bag to check, and no hanging clips and things to get caught in baggage handling equipment.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom