Sleeping bag and matt

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
patpalloon

Sleeping bag and matt

Post by patpalloon »

I've ordered my tent - one man Yellowstone Matterhorn. Just need to get sleeping bag and camping mat for this summer. Doing 2 tours - Spain and France and then UK and Ireland. So probably a 2 season sleeping bag? Any recommendations?
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.
crazyferret

Re: Sleeping bag and matt

Post by crazyferret »

You can get tiny ones rated to about 10 degrees in sports direct. They are warm enough for me until about 0, weigh about 800g and don't cost much at all. For a mat I use closed cell foam mats, probably not for everyone as they aren't that comfy but are bomb proof and last for ages.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

I can strongly recommend the Thermarest NeoAir range of sleeping mats. Two reasons - they pack down into a very small/light bundle and they're extremely comfortable. I've used self-inflating mats, including the Thermarest range, and I just get dead arms and sore hips etc. The NeoAir ones are superb. I suspect they're not particularly durable, but mine works so well that I'm prepared to go the extra mile to keep it in good nick, e.g. by making a footprint for my tent to try and keep any sharp stones/thorns covered over. I've had it for two years and used it on a few trips, including one where it was regularly stuffed into a crammed sea-kayak compartment, and it's still going strong.

(Re sleeping bags: I've got a two-season down bag, which packs down incredibly small and is okay on warm summer nights. However, don't be fooled - clear summer nights can be very cold: make sure you've got some layers to wear, or do what I do - take a 4-season bag and leave it unzipped if it's too hot.)
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

I would go for a 2-season down bag in conjunction with a silk liner, both to make the bag last longer between washes and also when very warm in the evening you can leave the sleeping bag open but keep the draft etc. off you in the liner. Good 2-season bags will weigh between 400 & 700 grams.

Although I don't disagree with the comments on the NeoAir mats, I would be tempted to go for a slightly more robust (& subsequently slightly heavier) Exped air mat as the sleeping surfaces in France & Spain are likely to be more abrasive than the green fields of UK.
hufty

Post by hufty »

My current set up for the stonier pitch: ultralight Exped in the tent, cheapo foam mat underneath to protect both the groundsheet and the mat. A faff maybe, but it has advantages not least having a foam mat easily to hand for siestas etc.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Decathlon do very good, and reasonably-priced mats and sleeping bags.

A lot depends on how high (altitude-wise) you want to go, but you should be OK with a bag rated to 10 degrees c plus a liner - and thermals. Personally I think it's better to get a more-summer bag and add layers if you need them, than use a winter bag (I think the term 'four-season' is misleading) - that could be too hot. Many bags don't have a zip so unzipping isn't an option.

Oh and on the subject of unzipping, quilts can be a very flexible alternative, but tend to be pricier. Not good if you tend to writhe around at night.

I don't have any experience with the NeoAir but my experience with other brands of inflatable mat (including Exped) has been disappointing in that after about 6 weeks to two months of use they start to develop leaks along the welds. (I think this is to do with the construction - not the punctures). I went back to a self-inflating mat and I've been fine. They may not be as comfortable as a fully-inflated inflatable, but they are considerably more comfortable than an inflatable mat that has become a self-deflating mat.

Oh and this should have been in the camping sub-forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
At £ 21.57p delivered thats not bad. Better head height than the solo gelert.
But a three season tent with a two season bag for even the hardy camper will give you some chills below 10 C :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

my experience with other brands of inflatable mat (including Exped) has been disappointing in that after about 6 weeks to two months of use they start to develop leaks along the welds.

I'm still using a Thermarest I bought in 1996 or 7, but I did buy a smaller, lighter Blacks version which 'let me down' on its first tour. Exchanged without quibble and it's replacement is still going several years later.
I saw NeoAir mats when I was touring last summer and rather covet one. There's a conversion kit so they are like an armchair too.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Bike-Rich

Post by Bike-Rich »

With a 4 pannier setup, what is the ideal amount of room a tent + bag should take up, 2 panniers?
Thanks,
meic

Post by meic »

For two to three seasons camping my tent and sleeping bag fit in one (small-medium) pannier except for the poles which have to go elsewhere.

That is the attraction of a down sleeping bag over a synthetic one.
Yma o Hyd
Bike-Rich

Post by Bike-Rich »

meic wrote:For two to three seasons camping my tent and sleeping bag fit in one (small-medium) pannier except for the poles which have to go elsewhere.

That is the attraction of a down sleeping bag over a synthetic one.

Thanks,

I thought down was the bigger (and warmer) compared to synthetic?
So, best to choose a down over anything else?
meic

Post by meic »

Down are more expensive, dont like getting wet and hard to wash.

They are lighter and pack smaller for the same amount of warmth.

I dont use my down sleeping bag for anything other than lightweight camping.
Yma o Hyd
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Down packs well. All those little fluffy bits inside can be squished to very small. I think it's probably the best warmth for the least weight & smallest packing size available.

However, it does take looking after, and damp can ruin down, if it's left packed up. It needs to be fluffed out to dry, and stay fluffed out until it's completely dry. Some down bags can be put in the tumble dryer (Alpkit recommends it). If you're careful, it's possible to avoid getting them wet, even in rainy weather, but if you will be camping in very damp places (rainforest? coastal areas with consistently high humidity?), synthetic might be a better choice.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bike-Rich

Post by Bike-Rich »

I understand, thanks guys.
:)
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

I use a eurohike down 500 sleeping bag weighs 1200gms £53 on offer from the shop. Had a happy nights sleep in it at -4deg C coupled with a £25 vango sleeping mat.Oh and a vango pillow for £6 too . dont overinflate it like a real pillow much nicer fairly flat.

Too bad my new xmas keyboards just failed on me ... thatd be the boiling hot water spilt on it probably...

Emma