Dawes Galaxy Touring bike start back ache

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
revenup

Dawes Galaxy Touring bike start back ache

Postby revenup » 2 Jan 2014, 7:13pm

Hi,

I have started getting ready for some touring after 5 years off bikes. I have picked up a small back injury over the years from martial arts (over used joint).
I'm getting back aches, a little on flats, but quite bad when cycling on routes with a lot of uphill.

I have a Dawes Galaxy 97, 19 inch frame, I'm 5' 5", 30" inside leg, according to Dawes this is the right size for me.

Do you have any tips for me to reduce back ache, eg core exercises, cycling techniques ...

Many Thanks

stephenjubb

Re: Dawes Galaxy Touring bike start back ache

Postby stephenjubb » 2 Jan 2014, 9:18pm

revenup wrote:Hi,

I have started getting ready for some touring after 5 years off bikes. I have picked up a small back injury over the years from martial arts (over used joint).
I'm getting back aches, a little on flats, but quite bad when cycling on routes with a lot of uphill.

I have a Dawes Galaxy 97, 19 inch frame, I'm 5' 5", 30" inside leg, according to Dawes this is the right size for me.

Do you have any tips for me to reduce back ache, eg core exercises, cycling techniques ...

Many Thanks

get a professional fitting session, tell them your problems and they will set the bike up (or confirm if it is correct) so it is the best possible position.

an example is here

http://www.hewittcycles.co.uk/bike-fitting

noel.shearer@uuplc.co.uk

Postby noel.shearer@uuplc.co.uk » 3 Jan 2014, 12:49pm

+1 for Paul Hewitt fitting. I was in exactly the same position with my Galaxy about 6 years ago. He identified that the seat (Brooks B17) didn't have enough rearward adjustment and the drops were too low. With careful selection of components to get the right fit, he made a bike that was marginally too small for me really comfy to ride and it has been great ever since.

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 3 Jan 2014, 4:39pm

You certainly do need some sort of bike fitting - those Dawes things are notoriously bad fits for most riders without changing stuff! Just because Dawes claim its your size doesn't mean it is.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

nmnm

Postby nmnm » 4 Jan 2014, 12:42am

From the low budget end of suggestions, if it were me, I'd put the bars up an inch and I'd focus on using the easy gears on the hills to avoid strain. You could do worse than seeing your gp to get referred to see a physio to get some simple back strengthening exercise pointers.

Tigerbiten

Postby Tigerbiten » 4 Jan 2014, 9:28am

If non of the above work then you may be looking at going to the dark side.

Recumbents tend to put less strain on the back.