Elephant Highway Botswana anyone?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
NoHangingAround

Elephant Highway Botswana anyone?

Post by NoHangingAround »

Hey guys,

I'm about to start riding up the Elephant Highway between Nata and Kasane.

Has anyone done this, can you recommend where to stop/stay? I'm maxing approx 120km per day so will probably need to do it in 3 days cycling.

Many thanks for whatever you can advice on here
Derek
NoHangingAround

Re: Elephant Highway Botswana anyone?

Post by NoHangingAround »

Hi again,

If anyone does pop in here over the next couple of days, I have been given advice as far as Padametenga but maybe someone knows from Pada - Kasane and more importantly from kasane to Vic Falls?

Thanks, hopefully someone has something :)

Derek
hufty

Post by hufty »

Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm one of the 2000-odd viewers of your post, but unfortunately my knowledge of Botswana comes from reading the Precious Ramotswe books so is not cycle-specific. You'll have to take it as it comes. The best tip I can offer (from the books) is to take some time to sit and watch cattle. :D
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
amaferanga

Post by amaferanga »

I cycled this road several years ago. I was doing 100 miles/day through Botswana from Namibia to Zambia via Francistown and I think the only night I didn't wild camp was when I stayed in Maun. It's very easy to find a quiet spot, but just be careful what food you keep in your tent given the likelihood of elephants being nearby.
groberts

Post by groberts »

I find it incredible that people cycle these roads, though am aware they do (ref 'Takeonafrica'). Of course my experience is a bit out of date and things may have changed? I last traveled (by vehicle) on the Francistown to Maun 'road' in 1981, at which time it was a dirt / sand road - road 'maintenance' consisted of a man driving a tractor towing a mid-size tree behind on a chain to level the sand; when the tree 'wore out' he chopped a new one down! Notwithstanding his efforts it was very deep sand and difficult to get traction.

Not wanting to travel at night we stopped half-way along and made a fire, cooked some food and then, not knowing how safe it was decided to sleep in the vehicle. When we awoke at sun rise and were just about to leave a cheetah walked straight past the front of the vehicle, our decision to sleep inside therefore vindicated. I wouldn't fancy meeting them on a bike!
takeonafrica

Post by takeonafrica »

The only place I camped on that road was at Elephant Sands Lodge - it's about 55km north of Nata. I ended up getting a lift through the middle part of that road because of some rabid lion attacking vehicles.
I wouldn't be too concerned about elephants while camping (although try not to scare them while biking) - lions however, may be a concern. Be careful. And make sure you've enough water.

Kasane to Livingstone is easily done in a day, about 80km I think. There are cheap campsites/lodges/backpackers places at both towns.

Wild camping is easy to find everywhere though...
http://www.helenstakeon.com
Books: Desert Snow and A Siberian Winter's Tale
takeonafrica

Post by takeonafrica »

oh yeah - it's worth staying in Kasane and going on an evening Chobe river cruise if you want to see lots of wildlife from the safety of a boat (elephants/hippos/crocs/various antelope/birds etc. Very tame, but rather enjoyable. I'd recommend taking a beer too :)
http://www.helenstakeon.com
Books: Desert Snow and A Siberian Winter's Tale
serbring

Post by serbring »

amaferanga wrote:I cycled this road several years ago. I was doing 100 miles/day through Botswana from Namibia to Zambia via Francistown and I think the only night I didn't wild camp was when I stayed in Maun. It's very easy to find a quiet spot, but just be careful what food you keep in your tent given the likelihood of elephants being nearby.

Really?! Which food you would suggest?
amaferanga

Post by amaferanga »

serbring wrote:
amaferanga wrote:I cycled this road several years ago. I was doing 100 miles/day through Botswana from Namibia to Zambia via Francistown and I think the only night I didn't wild camp was when I stayed in Maun. It's very easy to find a quiet spot, but just be careful what food you keep in your tent given the likelihood of elephants being nearby.

Really?! Which food you would suggest?

Fruit. Met a German cyclist who had his tent destroyed by an elephant trying to get to a mango.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Where I grew up in Africa, it was illegal (open to interpretation in Africa) to take oranges into the campsites because of the danger of elephants. They were known to try and wrench cars open, so tents were a doddle. Many campers used metal trunks. I personally had many more problems with vervets and baboons. Don't camp under a 'sitty'.

I once posted on here about a run in with a hyaena. I've also been chased on foot by an elephant. The same individual was shot a few years later because of continued conflict with humans. I also had a pair of black jeans damaged by a juvenile lion. Don't ask.
serbring

Post by serbring »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Where I grew up in Africa, it was illegal (open to interpretation in Africa) to take oranges into the campsites because of the danger of elephants. They were known to try and wrench cars open, so tents were a doddle. Many campers used metal trunks. I personally had many more problems with vervets and baboons. Don't camp under a 'sitty'.

I once posted on here about a run in with a hyaena. I've also been chased on foot by an elephant. The same individual was shot a few years later because of continued conflict with humans. I also had a pair of black jeans damaged by a juvenile lion. Don't ask.

Oh my god. Rather scary. What do you mean for "sitty"? I googled but it is not clear the meaning of this word.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

serbring wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:Where I grew up in Africa, it was illegal (open to interpretation in Africa) to take oranges into the campsites because of the danger of elephants. They were known to try and wrench cars open, so tents were a doddle. Many campers used metal trunks. I personally had many more problems with vervets and baboons. Don't camp under a 'sitty'.

Oh my god. Rather scary. What do you mean for "sitty"? I googled but it is not clear the meaning of this word.

Sitty: a place in a tree canopy in regular use by chacmas or vervets to relax....Seems so do their fruit retaining sphincters.

Not where you want your tent.