Scotland Is Getting Too Dear.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
georgew

Re: Scotland Is Getting Too Dear.

Postby georgew » 17 Jan 2014, 12:24pm

jezer wrote:I've cycle toured in Scotland a number of times in recent years. It was always more expensive than France, and the weather was worse. What will happen after September when the Scots vote for their future. Will the tourist trade go elsewhere :?

Good heavens no!

There are already plans afoot in the event of Independence to offer free food and fuel to all English tourists as we turn them back at the border. :roll:

DaleFTW

Postby DaleFTW » 17 Jan 2014, 12:34pm

Just getting to Scotland is a joke (and I live in Sunderland.)

Train prices are an absolute micturate take.

bob simpson

Postby bob simpson » 17 Jan 2014, 3:46pm

That will be because our London Government have privatised the trains. :D

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 17 Jan 2014, 4:29pm

DaleFTW wrote:
Train prices are an absolute micturate take.

micturate :)

Knowledge of this word I owe to this forum (or its prissy robot :)
Sweep

The Mechanic

Postby The Mechanic » 19 Jan 2014, 12:38pm

When we moved to Scotland 23 years ago, my wife complained then about the cost of food in supermarkets and the poorer quality of fresh fruit and veg. We are used to it now. However, you should try shopping in Waitrose!

Without getting onto the indy debate, my prediction is that it will get worse if Scotland goes independent. I will probably move to Berwick and commute. :lol:
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

Edwards

Postby Edwards » 19 Jan 2014, 1:02pm

The Mechanic wrote:When we moved to Scotland 23 years ago, my wife complained then about the cost of food in supermarkets and the poorer quality of fresh fruit and veg.

I thought that it was next to impossible to buy fresh stuff as it can not be deep fried. :wink: :lol:
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar

BeeKeeper

Postby BeeKeeper » 19 Jan 2014, 1:39pm

irc wrote:The cheap seat are released 12 weeks ahead. Even then you need to split the journey. An enq for Plymouth - Mallaig in early March on Trainline gets £250 single. But a Plymouth - Glasgow (no changes) single is £98 and a Glasgow - Mallaig single £15. Still not cheap but for one person perhaps worth it to avoid a 700 mile drive. Two people going the a car wins it for me.

The train could maybe be found cheaper with more changes but the journey time would be increased as well.

Thank you for that. The Dark Art of finding the cheapest rail ticket!

feefee8

Postby feefee8 » 19 Jan 2014, 2:48pm

Edwards wrote:
The Mechanic wrote:When we moved to Scotland 23 years ago, my wife complained then about the cost of food in supermarkets and the poorer quality of fresh fruit and veg.

I thought that it was next to impossible to buy fresh stuff as it can not be deep fried. :wink: :lol:

Is this where I'm going wrong with touring weights? Taking the pan to deep fry everything and carrying all that oil? Tsk, tsk!

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 19 Jan 2014, 3:28pm

Another thing about Scotland and prices .............
Please, correct me if I'm wrong, because I may be using Old Knowledge.

There is only one oil refinery in Scotland, and it's in Grangemouth. Therefore all the petrol and diesel has to go from the south side of River Forth to all over the country, and therefore costs more to get it Up North and Out West.

Fuel-costs impact on ALL costs.
Mick F. Cornwall

swscotland bentrider

Postby swscotland bentrider » 19 Jan 2014, 3:40pm

"Train prices are an absolute micturate take."

True but not at all times. During off peak periods the Scotrail Over 55 club enables you to travel anywhere (return) for £18 (I think). Yr. Stuffed if you are under 55 of course!

matt2matt2002

Postby matt2matt2002 » 19 Jan 2014, 6:37pm

swscotland bentrider wrote:"Train prices are an absolute micturate take."

True but not at all times. During off peak periods the Scotrail Over 55 club enables you to travel anywhere (return) for £18 (I think). Yr. Stuffed if you are under 55 of course!

Yes indeed it was. I want from Aberdeen to Inverness return for £18. Then biked down to Fort William for the weekend.
And being over (just) 60 I get a free bus pass for all over Scotland. Can't take the bike on though!
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
Lots more in hot countries.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.

ambodach

Postby ambodach » 19 Jan 2014, 9:51pm

Hi Pedalsheep. You may be interested to know that people in Tobermory now go to Salen and Dervaig for their shopping as any thing is better than the Coop in Tobermory where all the goods on sale are dictated by some oik in Manchester. You cannot even buy staples like oatmeal here now. Back to prices. Petrol here is 5p more than Oban which in turn is usually 5p dearer than Perth which in turn is a few pence dearer than Aberdeen. I get around quite a bit so compare prices often.You cannot just lump "Scotland" into one amorphous lump. There are wide varyations in price throughout the country mostly to do with transport cost but in some cases like the Coop its a case of what they think they can get away with. Having lived in Tobermory for 42 years now we have come to terms with the fact that some things will inevitably cost more and tailor our shopping to suit. In our travels in England and Wales frankly there is not a lot of difference anywhere nowadays so far as food is concerned. The main difference is in the amount of choice available. You will always find some wide variation in a loss leader situation but the total for a typical shop usually is not that different anywhere. I went to Tobermory initially to work in a "proper job" but ended up as a shopkeeper so have some idea how retail pricing works.

feefee8

Postby feefee8 » 19 Jan 2014, 11:20pm

If you know in advance you're taking the train then the advance purchase tickets are good value. £10 from Aberdeen to Edinburgh or Glasgow, or a return to Kyle for about £28. I think they release these about 12 weeks prior to the journey date.

Fuel on the East coast of Scotland is probably amongst the cheapest in the UK but if you venture into the rural areas, the prices rise quite sharply. This can also depend on how competitive the fuel market is locally.

nez

Postby nez » 19 Jan 2014, 11:29pm

Anyone who thinks Scotland is expensive should try a day trip to London.

bikepacker

Postby bikepacker » 20 Jan 2014, 9:55am

ambodach wrote:Hi Pedalsheep. You may be interested to know that people in Tobermory now go to Salen and Dervaig for their shopping as any thing is better than the Coop in Tobermory where all the goods on sale are dictated by some oik in Manchester. You cannot even buy staples like oatmeal here now. Back to prices. Petrol here is 5p more than Oban which in turn is usually 5p dearer than Perth which in turn is a few pence dearer than Aberdeen. I get around quite a bit so compare prices often.You cannot just lump "Scotland" into one amorphous lump. There are wide varyations in price throughout the country mostly to do with transport cost but in some cases like the Coop its a case of what they think they can get away with. Having lived in Tobermory for 42 years now we have come to terms with the fact that some things will inevitably cost more and tailor our shopping to suit. In our travels in England and Wales frankly there is not a lot of difference anywhere nowadays so far as food is concerned. The main difference is in the amount of choice available. You will always find some wide variation in a loss leader situation but the total for a typical shop usually is not that different anywhere. I went to Tobermory initially to work in a "proper job" but ended up as a shopkeeper so have some idea how retail pricing works.

Glad a local has criticised the prices in Tobermory including the Coop, I thought most supplies to be very expensive. As someone who likes to try out local chippies I found the one on the quayside there to be of very poor value. Chips were okay, fish was tasteless, added to them very small portions and high prices.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".