North of England trip

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Henrik_G

North of England trip

Post by Henrik_G »

I'm going to visit my cousin near Newcastle in the Spring coming up from Bristol by train. Thinking of combining with a good ride from Either York or East Riding, over the Nork Yorkshire Moors and a bit of coast, or from Windemere.

Any thoughts on which would be the most pleasant, or any other ideas?
DaleFTW

Re: North of England trip

Post by DaleFTW »

Loads of options really.

What sort of thing are you looking for? Wild and remote? B+Bs?
Henrik_G

Post by Henrik_G »

DaleFTW wrote:Loads of options really.

Wild and remote, free camping sort of thing.
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

What about from Windermere, through the lakes to Carlisle, then up through Kielder forest and along the Reivers route to Newcastle?

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/route-10
Henrik_G

Post by Henrik_G »

DaleFTW wrote:What about from Windermere, through the lakes to Carlisle, then up through Kielder forest and along the Reivers route to Newcastle?

It looks like a good route. Have you tried it?
DaleFTW

Post by DaleFTW »

Henrik_G wrote:
DaleFTW wrote:What about from Windermere, through the lakes to Carlisle, then up through Kielder forest and along the Reivers route to Newcastle?

It looks like a good route. Have you tried it?

Often. I live in Sunderland, the girlfriend lives in Carlisle. So makes it a nice two day ride across instead of a long one.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

What about doing the C2C?
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Henrik_G wrote:
DaleFTW wrote:Loads of options really.

Wild and remote, free camping sort of thing.

If taking the west coast line, Penrith Station, over the Pennines via Alston, dropping down to the River Tyne and following the Tyne into Newcastle is a fantastic ride. The main section of the route over the Pennines is A Road, though single carriage way with clear lines of visibility, fantastic mid way point at Alston for food & drink and stunning views back over the Lake District and Durhams / Northumberlands empty moorlands. The Lakes are definitely worth a side tour for a day or two.

Taking the east coast line, offers any number of gently routes up through the Vale of York from any of the stations, though once into County Durham, anything east of the A1 always feel post industrial and west of the A1, invariably involves a roller coaster ride up and down mini dales!
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

York is a good starting point. Head north (there is a Sustrans Route) through the N York Moors but I would suggest head through Helmsley, Hawnby and Osmotherley then west to Northallerton, Bedale, Leyburn, Reeth. From Reeth head up Arkengarthdale then at the CB Inn turn right over the moors to Barnard Castle. From there follow Sustrans Route to Bishop Auckland and then you can pick up various rail paths, the Brandon - Bishop, then the Lanchester Valley Way which will link up, at Consett, to the C2C for a lovely downhill swoop to Newcastle.

I hope you like climbing :)
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Henrik_G wrote:I'm going to visit my cousin near Newcastle in the Spring coming up from Bristol by train. Thinking of combining with a good ride from Either York or East Riding, over the Nork Yorkshire Moors and a bit of coast, or from Windemere.

Any thoughts on which would be the most pleasant, or any other ideas?

From Windermere and over the Pennines is a fantastic - but of course hard, ride. If you stay off the A roads and plan carefully you can have long stretches almost traffic free.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

A bit longer train journey but why not go up to Edinburgh and then Coast and Castles route down to Newcastle. The Northumberland coast is wonderful. http://www.coast-and-castles.co.uk/plan ... the-route/
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
johnsie

Post by johnsie »

Cycled Penrith to Morpeth in September via Kielder and Rothbury. If you get the chance, don't miss a visit to the Impromptu Cafe at Elsdon.
Screech like a Sirrus!