Aberdeen to Lerwick ferry

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
matt2matt2002

Aberdeen to Lerwick ferry

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Hoping to take the ferry from Aberdeen to Lerwick.
Don't want to pay for a cabin. Is it OK to sleep on the floor in my sleeping bag?
Northlink web page is a bit vague.
Reclining seats are £3 but I will have my camping gear with me so thought the floor would do me.

Don't want any big hairy crew waking me up at 2am.

Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
gloomyandy

Re: Aberdeen to Lerwick ferry

Post by gloomyandy »

Well you can try! When we went a few years ago we managed to sneak into the reclining seat area and get a bit of sleep there. I think there was also a cinema/TV room that it might have been possible to grab some rest in. The ship was pretty busy and we didn't get a lot of rest, but it didn't really matter to us on the way up (we had our car with us for this trip and rented a cottage for the week). I'm not sure how easy it will be for you to find a nice quiet spot to sleep. On the way back we had a very long drive home so rented a cabin. Had a really good nights sleep and a shower in the morning which made the drive home pretty straight forward.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

just pay the £3! Why would you want to sleep on the floor?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

foxyrider wrote:just pay the £3! Why would you want to sleep on the floor?

Well £3 is £3. And the same back, makes £6 saved. Not a lot to some folks, I know - but since I will be sleeping on the floor in my tent I thought I'd give it a go - if possible.
By the sound of it, it could be a lively crossing. Mind you - I will be doing it in the off peak season - so perhaps not too busy.

Many a Mickle makes a Muckle as they say up here in Scotlandshire.
:wink:
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

About 3 years back, I got on at Kirkwall to go to Lerwick and just curled up in a corner to sleep.
I had no trouble/hassle at all for doing this.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Usually on overnight ferries you have to take either a cabin or a reclining seat if they are available so you may not get the option. I don't know about this particular ferry though, its over twenty years since I last went to Shetland.
However, even if you have to pay the three quid, its still going to be a lot more comfortable getting your mat and bag out and sleeping on the floor somewhere. Outside on deck in a quiet corner is usually ideal for a good night's sleep,especially somwhere with a roof to keep the rain off.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Should have mentioned we sailed out on a Friday night and back on a Saturday night so possibly some of the busiest sailings. Lots of people wandering about, drinking etc. May be much quieter at other times. Good luck with sleeping out on the deck if the weather is anything like it was on our trip!
brumster

Post by brumster »

if it's a rough crossing & people are seasick you may regret sleeping on the floor ! :lol:
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

brumster wrote:if it's a rough crossing & people are seasick you may regret sleeping on the floor ! :lol:

OK
That's settled it. I'll be on the £3 seat!
:(
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

You can sleep pretty well anywhere as long as you don't cause an obstruction. Last time I took the ferry it was an extremely rough crossing. Lots of people who had planned on sleeping on the seats ended up renting cabins. I stayed on the seats close to the 'facilities' for a while (facilities were needed). After things had settled down I slept on the seats in the bar.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

I slept in the cinema when the last film had finished.

Did it there and back.

The people on the reclining seats for a 12 hour overnight crossing to Lerwick looked really uncomfortable.

Me, slept on my bed with sleeping bag and pillar. great nights kip. :o

If you've got the gear why not use it? And save money.

You could try the recliner, if no good then you have the option of your camping gear!
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Cinema? Sounds good. Was that on a seat or on the floor.
As you say, since I have the mat and bag I may as well use them.
Was there a risk of someone co ing along and telling you to leave the cinema?
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

matt2matt2002 wrote:Cinema? Sounds good. Was that on a seat or on the floor.
As you say, since I have the mat and bag I may as well use them.
Was there a risk of someone co ing along and telling you to leave the cinema?

On the floor. I don't think there was a risk as went in an hour after the cinema finished at about 11pm, everything had shut down, most were asleep. No staff were around. No signs saying don't sleep on floor.

To be honest I thought it was great. How often does a cycle tourist have the advantage? To those poor souls in cars who could not afford cabins, they had the most uncomfortable night

"we contemplate the daunting prospect of twelve hours of nothing but trying to get some sleep in the not so reclining chairs. They are not comfortable. We try the floor. Even less comfortable, horribly hard and cold. We try the seats again. We close our eyes hoping when we open them it will all be over. We open our eyes, it is only nine pm. Another ten hours of this. Groan. Back to the floor. Then the seats. Then the floor again. Finally the seats again. I throw my fleece over my head to cut out the lights and I must have passed out. I am awakened by an announcement that we are one hour out from Lerwick. No idea how long I have been asleep but I do not feel too bad."

from

http://blackaudibirding.blogspot.co.uk/ ... t-but.html

To be honest, it felt really great!!. All the car drivers who think I'm crazy for doing what I do. Well that night I thought they were crazy on uncomfortable seats and there was me, warm, comfortable, in a sleeping bag on my soft bed, refreshed in the morning travelling a lot cheaper than them and more comfortable and I had even taken sandwiches on board!. Who was the craziest that night! :lol:

I had the kit to make my crossing comfortable so would have been crazy to not at least try! :D
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I don't know who runs these ferries but my experience of night trips or even long days trips with Calmac is that people just curl where they have a space.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I reckon sleeping on the floor is better than trying to curl up on those torture chairs:

1. Use your sleeping mat
2. Sleeping bag
3. Ear plugs
4. inflatable pillow if possible
5. something to cover the eyes like a beany or similar neck roll thingy, you can just wrap it round your eyes to keep the light out.

I have not done this on this service but out of Dubrovnik on the night ferry, worked a treat.

Good luck !