Ctc plastic bags - Ryanair

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
stu247

Ctc plastic bags - Ryanair

Post by stu247 »

Hi,

A group of us are doing the Camino route to Santiago in June and are planning on using Ryanair to fly back with.
We are using Bike Express to get to Bayonne so will not be able to carry bike bags etc so were planning on using
the ctc plastic bags. Has anyone had any problems using these on Ryanair recently?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Stu
John Holiday

Re: Ctc plastic bags - Ryanair

Post by John Holiday »

Have used the bag with Ryanair out of Liverpool,but a couple of years ago.
Not a fan of Ryanair & they have now discouraged the carrying of bikes by increasing charges.
Have used easyjet frequently with no problems.
Good luck!
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Ryanair will take the bag. I find them pretty good. The only thing they have done is make me sign a waiver as they consider it not properly packed if it is not in a bikebox. But they still take it.
The bag I have used is worse than the plastic bag. Mine was held together with tape last time.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

bigjim wrote:Ryanair will take the bag. I find them pretty good. The only thing they have done is make me sign a waiver as they consider it not properly packed if it is not in a bikebox. But they still take it.
The bag I have used is worse than the plastic bag. Mine was held together with tape last time.

I've a lot of experience of travelling with a bike with Ryanair.
They differ a bit from airport to airport.

My current approach is that I carry an opaque plastic tarpaulin I can buy for 4€ and some tape. I then tape the bike up in this. It's got me past their Gestapo every time. In Kerry Airport the last couple of times I wasn't made bag the bikes at all. Every airport is different.
I've flown with them into and out of Kerry, Hahn, Stanstead, Prestwick (no longer fly to there from here), Alghero (years ago), Carcassonne, La Rochelle, Cork etc.
What is always a help is to be as pleasant as you can! Smile and all that.
greg1984

Post by greg1984 »

Hi Stu

I rode the cammino 3 years ago and it was an excellent ride!!!

We picked up the cardboard boxes from Santiago, the post office and some other places sold them i think they were around 10 euro's. But i am sure you might be able to pick up some cardboard from the airport.

Have a great ride, Burgos and Leon where the best places for me.

Buen Camino!

greg
Jonny Deezil

Post by Jonny Deezil »

Located in Santiago de Compostella:

http://www.elvelocipedo.com/Velocipedo/ ... ndexI.html

If you either prefer to let them get your bike home or even to the airport all boxed up.

Have walked Camino Frances and cycled the Northern route along the coast.

Have fun.

Victor
LindaB

Post by LindaB »

I second using the shop mentioned above, Bicycletas Velocipedo (http://elvelocipedo.com/Velocipedo/Ingl ... ciosI.html). When we rode the Camino in 2007, we used them to pack our bikes (in sturdy new cardboard boxes imprinted with their names). We stopped on our way into Santigo on arrival to check with them, and arrange to bring our bikes back the day before we flew out). We were picked up at our hotel and taken to the airport with our boxed bikes. Great service! We've tried to find this kind of arrangement in other cities, but haven't succeeded. The Santiago airport also has one of those baggage wrapping machines - we like to have our panniers wrapped before the long trip home.

Buon Camino! One of our most memorable trips; considered the "Main Street" of the world. We met and shared meals people from all over, including some from very near us in the US.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I like the idea of someone else packing my bike but a couple of things always worry me.

How do you answer the question all checkins should ask ie have you packed all your bags yourself.

Secondly how do you know if anything has been placed in your box?

I don't want to be paranoid but both of these could lead to serious trouble or consequences. Admittedly I normally fly from S E Asia, but I believe Spain is a major transit point on the cocaine route from S America.
Tipperaty

Post by Tipperaty »

Hi all
I have flown from Santiago on numerous occasions. The departure has an area for breaking down bikes with tools etc.
There is also a wrapping service in airport which also deals with bikes, they charge. Biking to the Airport is not a problem. Buses leaving Plaza Galacia take bikes.
If travelling in a big group its worth checking the number of bikes they will take on each flight. Its a great cycle on road or pilgrims path.
Buen Camino
Justin