Cheap accommodation near Talbert, Loch Fyne

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
tom_cat

Cheap accommodation near Talbert, Loch Fyne

Post by tom_cat »

Hi, I'm planning a tour around the Highland in the summer, starting and ending in Inverness. I'm not camping, but I'm not rich either and am hoping to keep it to either warmshowers.org couch surfing or youth hostels. I should be able to do this all of the way without much problem, but I'm having trouble around the Loch Fyne area. I was holing to take the NCN 75 to Tarbert, and the the 78 the next day, northwards. Only problem is, the one person on warm showers in that able is unable to host me at that time, as he's going cycling in Spain, and the nearest youth hostel is about 15 miles out of my way south, making the next day's jump up to Oban a bit far.

Does anyone have any bright ideas about other places to stay near there, or do I just have to stop being so tight and fork out £40 for a B&B?
Jon Lucas

Re: Cheap accommodation near Talbert, Loch Fyne

Post by Jon Lucas »

You could stay in Inveraray, which is the main town on Loch Fyne. What used to be the youth hostel there has now become an independent hostel (the new owner posted on this forum about this last year).

When I cycled north from Tarbert to Oban a few years ago I stayed in a lovely b&b in Tayvallich, which was a very reasonable price and very friendly and helpful.