Uig Skye, Parking

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
gloomyandy

Uig Skye, Parking

Post by gloomyandy »

Does anyone know of a good spot in and around Uig to leave a car for a week or so? Will be catching the ferry from there to the Hebrides. Also any good spots to park up and sleep if I arrive in the area late. I hope to get there in time to camp at the camp site, but you never know. If I do get there in time, I will probably ask about leaving the car with them.

Thanks

Andy
bogmyrtle

Re: Uig Skye, Parking

Post by bogmyrtle »

I'm pretty sure you can leave cars at the ferry terminal. It used to be free but I haven't been there for a while.

I've just had a look at Streetview to revive my failing memory. There is long term parking on the jetty facing the sea. There is also a small car park but it has a two hour limit.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
donnieban

Post by donnieban »

Hi Andy,

The landward (Council) car park has restricted parking but this isn't enforced. There can be a bigger turnaround of cars later in the season which would make me nervous given its a smallish car park. Things are meantime still relatively quiet traffic wise here on Skye.

Alternatively, and my preference would be to opt for the free long stay Cal-Mac parking on the seaward side of the Ferry Q's if a space is available. You can confirm by giving Cal-Mac (Uig) a call on 01470 542219.

Donnie
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Hi,
Just got back from a shorter trip than planned but still a good one. I can confirm that the long term parking along the seaward edge of the Calmac loading bays is fine (but can get busy). Had a good trip with a mixture of rain and wind (nothing new there then!). Ground seemed very wet on the nights I camped on Skye and Harris. A few midges around but not too bad yet! The crossing to both North Uist and Harris seemed very busy for car drivers, with people being put on wait lists etc. so if you are taking a car make sure you book!

Andy