Cotentin peninsula west coast

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mistybubbles

Cotentin peninsula west coast

Post by mistybubbles »

Hi has anyone cycled up/down this route and how did you find it?
simonineaston

Re: Cotentin peninsula west coast

Post by simonineaston »

Went down the left side with chums as my first ever cycle tour, donks ago… easy-going and attractive country-side. Lots of lanes and options to keep you off the major D roads. You don’t tell us much about your plans, but am liking the sound of ‘in at Cherbourg and out at St Malo’. I’ve been past the Mont Saint Michel (by car :roll: ) and recall lots of sheeps patiently chomping on the salty veg of the sea marshes in preparation for being served up on the plates of hungry cycle tourists!
There’s plenty of Good Views judging by the green-fringed roads (my maps a bit old…I don’t know if they still do this) as well as the possibility of popping over to Jersey.
The bit at top left is supposed to be lovely, there’s lots of choice when it comes to routes south and plenty of options if you want to go farther - turn east towards Bayeux and Caen, or else turn west towards Cancale, oyster-centre of northwest France, and St Malo.
Great Fun!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Ah, but that misses out St Vaast La Hogue (in the top right hand corner. This is worth a visit because its where 1/4 of Frances Oysters are produced and attracts the French in droves to the reasonably priced restaurants by the harbour, with whole animal carcase BBQs and massive Paella pans in summer. I have travelled all over the peninsular by bike and Classic car and into its harbours by yacht its a hidden gem that most folk drive straight through. Granville and Caretan are nice too.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Agree east coast tempting, too, but you might need a bit of 'health warning' if planning to go soon as you will jostling for space alongside such notables as Putin, V and Obama, B, although they may not be riding bicycles... ! :wink:
http://www.debka.com/newsupdatepopup/8140/
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The last time I cycled along the Normandie coast near Deauville it was the G7. There were lots of sunglassed roadies hanging around on cheap Decathlon road bikes. We asked several lots about camp sites and they said we are not from around there with the Gallic shrug. It dawned on us that they were French Secret Service when we noticed the discrete guns and radios!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Cycled from Cherbourg to St Malo in May 2010.

Not helped by rotten ie damp weather whole time but found it rather boring.

Certainly wouldn't repeat it. Not a patch on the Normandy Beaches (Cherbourg to Caen) trip I did which I would repeat any day. Didn't have enough time to see everything on that one.

Just my opinion others may disagree.
aquilegia

Post by aquilegia »

I biked from Cherbourg down the west coast to Mont St. Michel, then Brittany, years ago. I don't recall much about the portion from Cherbourg to Granville. South of Granville was nice with great views of Mont St. Michel. Unfortunately, to reach Mont St. Michel, you have to go a fair bit east through Avranches and then back to the west.
mistybubbles

Post by mistybubbles »

Thanks for all the replies. Helped me decide - we (husband and I) will go via St Vaast La Hogue again. Last time we encountered lots of D Day revelry - people dressed up, old vehicles - it was like being in 1945, at first I kept remarking that french people liked dressing up. It took a while for the penny to drop and we found it all very amusing.Or we will go down the middle to the Marais and round to Bayeux, St mere Eglise, then up the west coast to Cherbourg. (Going on 23rd for a few days only).can't wait! :D Misty Bubbbles
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Mind that anniversary - the Tom Hanks and Damian Lewis-a-likes as well as serious historians, high profile politicians and respectful relatives will be beginning to amass, ready for 'the largest acknowledgement of an amphibious landing ever', by the end of the month, I imagine...
I went from Cherbourg to Caen the either year and found the whole thing very interesting as well as rather sombre - the huge waste of life, not so very long ago, is still very evident and I got a real sense of the sacrifices made, by soldiers from all nations. I popped in to Bayeux to see the embroidery-thingey and thought, 'Blimey, nothing's changed in a thousand years...!"
S
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

There is a French museum about the occupation near Utah beach. It is very interesting to see how they suffered. They were reduced to making wooden wheels for bikes!

Al
mistybubbles

Post by mistybubbles »

Yes there is so much to see there, historical and cultural, brilliant place for a cycling holiday. It was was my first cycle tour ever when we left our house in Poole and got on the ferry to Cherbourg a few years ago and it turned out to be full of surprises and fun. Can't wait!