Devon C2C

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
SeanieG

Devon C2C

Post by SeanieG »

Good evening all,
My son and I are cycling the Devon C2C from Barnstaple to Plymouth over two days this weekend. Just wondering if there are any obvious navigational pitfalls that we need to be aware of? e.g. ambiguous or missing route signs etc. We have mapped it out and will have printed maps with us, but any recent experiences will be gratefully received.
Thank you!
Sean.
I have an opinion. It might not always be thoroughly thought through, but it's there.
honesty

Re: Devon C2C

Post by honesty »

Its all pretty easy, but with a few things to watch out for. Through Tavistock there's two routes, high and low, both well signposted but the high route had a small double back at the top of the hill through the houses that caught me out. The granite trail is very easy, even easier than the maps show, as they have now connected the two bits, you no lo get have to detour in the middle.

If it were me I'd go to the end of the Tarka trail and follow the main road into Hatherleigh. Its shorter and the only big hill is going in your favour. It is an A road so i guess it depends if your son is up to it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I was riding a short while with a chap doing the ride, meeting north of Tavistock near Lydford not long off the Granite Way. I was very much surprised that he wanted to follow the C2C route so faithfully, as he turned off the Tavistock road to go out towards Mary Tavy to go down to Tavistock via the Peter Tavy area.

This is a silly way IMHO and well out of the way. Who designed this route needs their bumps feeling.

Stay on that road and take it directly into Tavistock town centre as you'l be there anyway via the C2C route. The road goes via Brentor and is very quiet, very fast, and very direct. Simple! :D

Here's a piccy of my recommendation.
Screen shot 2014-08-11 at 19.48.15.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS.
I think this the C2C route.
Compare it to my suggestion.
Screen shot 2014-08-11 at 19.55.43.png
Mick F. Cornwall
honesty

Post by honesty »

Having looked at the maps, it used to be the route but they changed the official route to the Mary Tavy one. I went the route past the glider club and it was easy, and empty.
SeanieG

Post by SeanieG »

Thanks folks, useful info. Is the 'gap in the middle' where you used to have to divert off at Lake Viaduct?
I have an opinion. It might not always be thoroughly thought through, but it's there.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Yep. That's right. You can carry on straight on now.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I have recently done this route both ways Ilfracoombe to Plymouth, you are going the right way :)
If you come across the big flyover bridge at Barstaple do it on the cycle track on the righthand kerb, at end of bridge you should go right onto Tarka Trail.
The trail is very smooth at first but sections are like a railway track and there will be a few puddles but all do-able. No navigation neccesary on the trail.
You dont say what tyres you are using but if less than say 32 mm section you will have a bumpy ride on the tarka :(
The very last bit (south end) is a grass track up hill but I think that a road runs adjacent to it :?:
Follow the road thru hatherligh to oakhamton then head for railway station, (Good Food) bear right at station and up to the railway, not sure there is a (Direct) way from the station onto the trail :?: Granite trail, as said easy to follow and very fast, (To Lydford) Plenty places to stop and refreshments on Trail
Off the main road to tavistock is not very scenic and I would just plump for the main road route into Tavistock after end of Granite trail, but you will mis Brentor, there's not much in it to be honest so mick F's route is OK. The proper route does have some off road stuff if you like that sort of thing, will be muddy.
From Tavistock there is a signed cycle route (Bear right on the mini roundabout out of town and you should see a sign going right :?: and it goes past a school playground) or the road, I missed the Gem bridge which should be on the cycle route.
From Yelverton is a breeze and all down hill on the Drakes trail but I think the section south of clearbrook will be closed end of Aug. This bit is a bit bumpy too but as its down hill it will be easy. You cant get lost here but there is a small part where you will have to dismount. Follow to Plymouth.
The sign posts are chronic as in there lack of, very typical on all cycle routes :(
I have not done Saltram house to Plymouth but you probably wont get lost here.
All in all an easy ride, one day really but two will be a holiday.
Edited
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
SeanieG wrote:Thanks folks, useful info. Is the 'gap in the middle' where you used to have to divert off at Lake Viaduct?

Yes straight thru now :)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

SeanieG wrote:Thanks folks, useful info. Is the 'gap in the middle' where you used to have to divert off at Lake Viaduct?
You never had to divert off at Lake Viaduct despite what the signs and maps told you! :lol:

What you should have done ........ and I became very tired of stating this to everyone I could ........ was to keep going past the Picnic Area and to nearly the main road. There was a barrier and you turned left off the railbed and up a path to the main road at a big layby. Turn south on the main road for a level half mile to the Fox and Hounds pub, turn right downhill and freewheel a few hundred yards to turn left onto the rest of the Granite Way.

Simple! :D

This is old hat now of course because the Granite Way is open all the way through. How long it will remain so I don't know because the old railbed all the way from Meldon to Tavistock is shortlisted for opening for rail traffic as a bypass for the main line at Dawlish.

Personally, I'd rather the railway be re-instated than keep it as a cycle track.
Mick F. Cornwall
honesty

Post by honesty »

To elaborate a bit on the Tavistock routes, heres a shot of the sustrans map:
Untitled.jpg

The official route is shown in yellow. The route Mick has suggested is continued in red. The one I took is the middle route in purple, now known as NCN 327. I liked it because i still got to ride over the viaducts in Tavistock, and got to cycle up a quiet back lane past Brentor Tor.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Personally I reckon the new route is more interesting than the old one. But each to their own, and if you're doing it in just two days then there's an advantage in taking the old one in that it's faster.

As 'honesty' says, the (high-level) railway route through Tavistock is a little confusing around the old people's homes and council offices.

I believe work has just started on the infamous Clearbrook Ramp (here). There will probably be a diversion signposted, but in any case, you wouldn't want to take the current official route there - it's rocky and unrideable unless you're a keen MTBer. Follow the minor road running east-west instead to cut off the corner.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
honesty wrote:To elaborate a bit on the Tavistock routes, heres a shot of the sustrans map:
Untitled.jpg

The official route is shown in yellow. The route Mick has suggested is continued in red. The one I took is the middle route in purple, now known as NCN 327. I liked it because i still got to ride over the viaducts in Tavistock, and got to cycle up a quiet back lane past Brentor Tor.

Mick F's route is a pure road route except the granite trail, there is still a little path not more than 100 metres(privately owned :?: ) which breaks the wide and fast granite way (Granite Way Cycle Trail) wont slow you much and is ridable on road 23's.
Official route will contain short section / s :?: of untarmaced road I am sure that is correct. But ridable for sure, but in my mind when you have crossed the main road below Lydford and wind your way through to Peter tavy from Mary tavy I thought there was a offroad field type of path, if there is then the road is close by if unridable.
"honesty's purple route south of peter tavy links two farms Godsworthy Lower and Higher which is a wide farm gravel track and of course the old sheep dog will tell you where to go quick quick :lol:

Blimey if you are taking two days then do ALL the route and the purple south of tavy for maximum enjoyment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Blimey if you are taking two days then do ALL the route and the purple south of tavy for maximum enjoyment.
Ilfracombe to Plymouth is only 73miles. 6hrs maybe.
Ilfracombe, Barnstaple, Torrington, Hatherleigh, Okehampton, Tavistock, Yelverton, Plymouth.
The only bit that isn't so good is between Yelverton and Plymouth, though I have done it many many times without issue. It's just busy with traffic, though easy enough.

This method of doing it isn't the point though, is it? :wink:
The idea is to enjoy the ride and pick a route that suits you. That, and to stay over somewhere and take in the sights and sounds. Good on 'yer. Enjoy it! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
On honesty's map showing a short cut below peter tavy which goes from the A386 above Tavistock to the cross roads at Moor Shop B3357, Tavistock to Princetown road.
I got this wrong I was thinking of the short cut that goes east of peter tavy which leads to Lower Godsworthy and linked to Higher Godsworthy via a farm track which is actually a bridle path on the map but you could easily drive your car along it it.
This short cut avoiding Tavistock honesty's route and mine further east which brings you out on Pork hill 2/3rds of the way up.
Its out of the way for a c2c ride and is actually (mine) a rather adventurous hilly ball breaking detour , sorry to confuse.
I need also to check the other part, well I have, and mentioned an off road bit between Mary tavy & Peter Tavy this also is one of my gravel track routes which I often use as it more interesting, I dont think that it is on the route at all :( sorry again.
Anyone wanting an adventure may like to use the bridle path between Mary and Peter Tavy going south and at the end is a Pub :)
The godsworthy route is also a bridle path but a wide track, both you can do on a road bike in the dry with say 32 mm tyres and I have seen road bikes on the Mary tavy bridle path which makes me remember the horrified riders who were blastpheming that it was a cycle route :!:
I need to check that part again............

To do the C2C your need 32 mm at a minimum if you plan the Tarka & Drakes trails I.M.O. as I have done it on 37's and it was a bit bumpy, though I was traveling faster than your usually sunday riders :)
Mick F would probably be ejected out of his brooks If he did the Tarka or even Clearbrook part of Drakes trail :lol: