Devon C2C

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
honesty

Re: Devon C2C

Postby honesty » 13 Aug 2014, 2:09pm

Ive done the Tarka trail on 25mm and 28mm tyres. Its bumpy but do-able, you just need to be alert and steer around the largest rocks/holes.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 13 Aug 2014, 2:36pm

Hi,
honesty wrote:Ive done the Tarka trail on 25mm and 28mm tyres. Its bumpy but do-able, you just need to be alert and steer around the largest rocks/holes.

Yes do-able I was just suggesting what the run of the mill cyclist would expect.
On the tarka at the barstaple end where its very busy all maner of bikes you will see but on the dark damp rocky parts very few cyclist as its too far from civilisation so to speak, also with narrower tyres your speed would also be hampered :?:
I use my tourer for every terrain but the tyres do suffer many nicks from the flints.
A seasoned rider would fair OK and also younger would not be phased by a odd bump or two, the OP should not be put off if they have 28's but 25's...............maybe a good tread and puncture protection would be ok but I would say be prepared for mishaps.
Mick F's already sampled these so called cycle paths on his 23's and he's not liking them.............
Me I will do anything, I find the off tarmac stuff interesting.
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 13 Aug 2014, 4:20pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Mick F would probably be ejected out of his brooks If he did the Tarka or even Clearbrook part of Drakes trail :lol:
I did the trail all the way from Liara Bridge to Clearbrook via Saltram and Marshmills. I gave up at Clearbrook and did the last of the ride to Yelverton on the main A386, as it's so much easier and quicker on the roads!

It was interesting and a novelty, same as Gem Bridge and the trail through Grenofen Tunnel, but TBH it is all a waste of time and money as far as I'm concerned.

Three million quid to build that stupid Gem Bridge. :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 13 Aug 2014, 6:32pm

Hi,
Old news but another waste of money 1.6 Mil :roll:
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/bridge-s-w ... story.html
I remember a radio presenter asking on day of opening where it goes the local council spokes man (IIRC) said nothing even when the presenter asked again and again..............................................

Another bridge I pass over several times a week but after a blaze of local big wigs glory it grows cobwebs, I would have been happy with a wooden bridge.
http://www.sustrans.org.uk/policy-evide ... alking-and

It had 1300 cycle trips in first week and 3000 in three weeks if 3000 are made a week for 7 years and a toll of £1 each it will cover the cost of building @ 1.1 Mil.
But if the traffic drops to 1000 a week @ £1 then 21 years to repay.
As the cycle path goes nowhere at the other end what was it for :?:

I would be very surprised if it will ever be 1000 a week, it is pedestrian use too but how many walk the whole length, a mile or so, that too starts in a an industrial estate.......................

Someones making money. :?
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

SeanieG

Postby SeanieG » 15 Aug 2014, 3:43pm

Wow, never anticipated quite such a full and detailed response - thank you all. For info, we're heading by train from Newton Abbot to Barnstaple on Sunday morning (first train from St. Davids, hoping and praying the 6 minutes connection time will be sufficient...), leaving Barnstaple about 11:00 or so. My bike's a steel tourer with 700x32 and my son's is a hybrid with fairly chunky 26x1 and a big bit, or 2 and a small bit, I think, so don't have any worries about the surfaces/terrain. Couple of panniers on the rear of each. 40 miles or so on Sunday afternoon along the Tarka Trail to Meeth then the main road to Hatherleigh and lanes to Okehampton, followed by Granite Way to Sourton Down to camp for the night. Down to Plymouth during Monday, assuming we can successfully negotiate Tavistock! Gonna be fun, although my son has just done a week at scout camp, so he could be utterly useless...
Thanks again.
I have an opinion. It might not always be thoroughly thought through, but it's there.

honesty

Postby honesty » 15 Aug 2014, 7:35pm

Sounds good. For info, Vieiras cafe in Yelverton does nice cake! ;) The national trust gorge at Lydford is nice if you got an hour or so to walk around it.

SeanieG

Postby SeanieG » 28 Aug 2014, 11:29am

We had a great couple of days. In summary - amazing wildlife (a buzzard at very close quarters and a pair of deer), the lanes are more interesting than the rail trails (unsurprisingly, I guess), bikes on trains no problem, well signposted on the whole, met some friendly people (a pair doing pretty much the same as us, a chap doing the whole thing in one day training for London to Paris and a family who did it over five days), a mix of surfaces on the trails, not the prettiest entry into Plymouth...
Here are a couple of links to the route we took (including a diversion for maintenance works at Grenofen) for anyone that's interested.
Day one, Barnstaple station to Sourton Down: http://www.brytonsport.com/mapTrackView/2?id=6148064
Day two, Sourton Down to Plymouth Hoe: [/url]http://www.brytonsport.com/mapTrackView/2?id=6148066[/url]
Thanks again for your comments and suggestions.
Sean.
I have an opinion. It might not always be thoroughly thought through, but it's there.