titanium rack - anyone used one?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
foxyrider

Re: titanium rack - anyone used one?

Post by foxyrider »

Gattonero wrote:
Username wrote:Weight saving? On a tourer?

landsurfer wrote:So ... You buy a super light rack .... Then add weight to it .... Really !
And you point is ... :roll:

Since the OP was in 2015 he may have lost some body weight by now, and ready for the next step?
:wink:

Being realistic, some people do realize that cycling, especially uphill, is a challenge against gravity, areodynamics, and other forces. And some people is wise enough to understand that a lighter bike does not make them going super-fast all of a sudden, rather going at the same speed with a little less effort.
And those people would understand that a "lighter bike" would not come at the snap of the fingers by replacing one or two components. You need to see the global picture, 100 grams here, 400 grams there, within all the bike you can make a few kilograms of difference.
I can say it was quite nice when I toured in Norfolk with a bike that packed with all the camping gear and food, was tipping the scales at 15kg. I slashed one tyre while trying to be cool and riding trough a ploughed field :roll: then patching the tyre with gaffer tape, next stop in a cycle shop they were impressed how light the bike was. And no carbon fiber nor space-age tent (actually a £90 one from GoOutdoors :mrgreen: ).

It's all about choosing what one wants: I like cycling, not faffing around in a tent, so I don't mind a simple flysheet that still allows me to sit up inside. And I like sitting on the grass, so camping chairs are not on my list.
But obviously, we all have a different approach and different needs, it's good to have a choice.

I'm not alone! And there was me thinking I was the odd one by not carting around the kitchen sink on a sluggish heavy machine. It is much easier to lighten the bike than lose weight from me - oh I know it's possible but I get to a particular weight and pretty much can't budge any more - goodness knows how top racers do it.

It takes time and some effort to search out the right gear, for me if it doesn't function it's useless being lighter. There are plenty of items on the market that fail on that score or are otherwise impractical for real world use. A Ti rack isn't one of them.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

foxyrider wrote:...

It takes time and some effort to search out the right gear, for me if it doesn't function it's useless being lighter. There are plenty of items on the market that fail on that score or are otherwise impractical for real world use. A Ti rack isn't one of them.

:D
Always a pleasure to read some good common sense!
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
pwa

Post by pwa »

Gattonero wrote:
foxyrider wrote:...

:D
Always a pleasure to read some good common sense!

The titanium racks I've seen do fail in one of my requirements: a broad top that will take things like rack top bags. I like the idea of titanium, but it is the narrow tops that put me off. I'm all in favour of saving meaningful chunks of weight, but not if I have to lose valued function.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

And here is the rub: the one looking to shave weight would have no need for a broad top rack, as two panniers would be more than enough to carry the equipment.
It would make no sense to shave 300gr on the rack while carrying a 3kg for a two-berth tent, or some bulky sleeping bag. It's the global picture that counts.

OTOH, there are some stainless steel models that would offer a similar weatherproof quality, this is another strong point for a Titanium rack.
And nothing wrong in bolting-on a small marine plywood plate if really needs to, it may actually look very nice if neatly done.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Gattonero wrote:And here is the rub: the one looking to shave weight would have no need for a broad top rack, as two panniers would be more than enough to carry the equipment.
It would make no sense to shave 300gr on the rack while carrying a 3kg for a two-berth tent, or some bulky sleeping bag. It's the global picture that counts.

OTOH, there are some stainless steel models that would offer a similar weatherproof quality, this is another strong point for a Titanium rack.
And nothing wrong in bolting-on a small marine plywood plate if really needs to, it may actually look very nice if neatly done.

Trouble is my bikes do more than one job each and the same tourer that one day carries two panniers might carry just one Carradice rack top bag the next day. Bolting on ply is fine, but having spent a lot on a rack I'd want it to work without that. I'm still waiting for Tubus to twig to the fact that there are people like me waiting for their as yet unavailable broad top rack.
pwa

Post by pwa »

pwa wrote:
Gattonero wrote:And here is the rub: the one looking to shave weight would have no need for a broad top rack, as two panniers would be more than enough to carry the equipment.

Trouble is my bikes do more than one job each and the same tourer that one day carries two panniers might carry just one Carradice rack top bag the next day. Bolting on ply is fine, but having spent a lot on a rack I'd want it to work without that. I'm still waiting for Tubus to twig to the fact that there are people like me waiting for their as yet unavailable titanium broad top rack.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

pwa wrote:Trouble is my bikes do more than one job each and the same tourer that one day carries two panniers might carry just one Carradice rack top bag the next day. Bolting on ply is fine, but having spent a lot on a rack I'd want it to work without that. I'm still waiting for Tubus to twig to the fact that there are people like me waiting for their as yet unavailable broad top rack.

With the due respect, you still don't see the point: this rack was meant for one use, and is very light for the purpose. The one that is looking for shaving weight in a sensible way, would not use only a rack+racktop bag but rather make it simple with a big saddle bag and no extra fittings.
Or if in need of more storage room, two panniers alone will do more than enough.

You seem to need flexibility above all, to use a 3-piece rear luggage arrangement there are other racks which are most excellent, like this stainless steel ones :)

Tubus Fly, stainless steel and 370gr, 60mm-80mm top width

or go big with the Tubus Logo Classic, stainless steel and claimed 680gr, but they say is tested for 40kg though for legal reasons has the label "26kg max", 86mm-100mm top width

for comparison, this is the Airy titanium, 230gr but still approved for 26kg (actually tested for 30kg), 66mm top width
Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil »

pwa wrote:The titanium racks I've seen do fail in one of my requirements: a broad top that will take things like rack top bags. I like the idea of titanium, but it is the narrow tops that put me off. I'm all in favour of saving meaningful chunks of weight, but not if I have to lose valued function.

The Lynskey Caddy has a 10cm wide platform. I have one myself, and have successfully carried oversized objects strapped to the top of it. It's not the lightest Ti rack, but still very light (I measured mine at 387g for the rack alone, and 434g with all the fittings). It also has the highest weight capacity (77kg) of any rack I saw when I was looking for one - high enough to carry a body, should the need arise.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Gattonero wrote:
pwa wrote:Trouble is my bikes do more than one job each and the same tourer that one day carries two panniers might carry just one Carradice rack top bag the next day. Bolting on ply is fine, but having spent a lot on a rack I'd want it to work without that. I'm still waiting for Tubus to twig to the fact that there are people like me waiting for their as yet unavailable broad top rack.

With the due respect, you still don't see the point: this rack was meant for one use, and is very light for the purpose. The one that is looking for shaving weight in a sensible way, would not use only a rack+racktop bag but rather make it simple with a big saddle bag and no extra fittings.
Or if in need of more storage room, two panniers alone will do more than enough.

You seem to need flexibility above all, to use a 3-piece rear luggage arrangement there are other racks which are most excellent, like this stainless steel ones :)

Tubus Fly, stainless steel and 370gr, 60mm-80mm top width

or go big with the Tubus Logo Classic, stainless steel and claimed 680gr, but they say is tested for 40kg though for legal reasons has the label "26kg max", 86mm-100mm top width

for comparison, this is the Airy titanium, 230gr but still approved for 26kg (actually tested for 30kg), 66mm top width

I use a Carradice rack top bag (the black cotton duck one) instead of a saddle bag because it sits rock solid and does not touch my legs, and judging by all the discussion about saddle bag supports those properties are not so easily attained with saddle bags. The fact that the same rack (Tubus Cargo) can also take two full size Ortlieb panniers for my commute makes it a no-brainer to stick with that rack. Mr.Evil's suggested Lynskey racks look more interesting. Weight saving without loss of function.

(My garage has a shelf with several discarded racks gathering dust on it, including a Fly and a Vega, both ultimately replaced by racks with wider tops)
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I’m still looking for something that I can attach to the top of my Tubus Airy like a rack pack, rather than hang off the sides like panniers

I tried Carradice Saddle bags last year, which were good but not nirvana
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

I have the titanium tubus airy and though it is hard to logically argue it was truly worthe the extra I am glad I bought it. Dead stable and solid witha couple of fullish, albeit non-touring panniers, and whilst a lb extra isn't in itself that much it does all add up.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

pwa wrote:...
I use a Carradice rack top bag (the black cotton duck one) ...

Which is probably 800gr in its own right.
If you have the cash, choose the Linskey rack then, but IMO doesn't make much sense to shave weight in the rack when using a relatively heavy bag. I'd probably go for a stainless steel rack, same weatherproof resistance as titanium but cheaper.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Gattonero wrote:
pwa wrote:...
I use a Carradice rack top bag (the black cotton duck one) ...

Which is probably 800gr in its own right.
If you have the cash, choose the Linskey rack then, but IMO doesn't make much sense to shave weight in the rack when using a relatively heavy bag. I'd probably go for a stainless steel rack, same weatherproof resistance as titanium but cheaper.

I have a stainless Tubus front rack for my tourer and it does have the added advantage of visual appeal.

The Carradice Super C rack top bag goes either on my tourer's Cargo rack, which is on the bike anyway for use with panniers, or a Tortec Ultralite Tour alloy rack on a bike set up mainly for Audax. I reckon the rack top bag is heavier than some panniers but neater and less in the wind. And it has no wobble at all. The solidity of the attachment makes bike handling better.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

May I ask why a titanium rack then?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Gattonero wrote:May I ask why a titanium rack then?

To be honest I have reached a point where I am happy with what I have so won't be looking to replace my steel Tubus racks or alloy Tortek rack with a titanium alternative. But there was a time when I was looking to buy something and sought a titanium rack with a top broad enough to take the rack top bags I like. And I found nothing. Titanium would have been nicer than ally because it generally works out a bit lighter and does not wear down at rub points. But as I couldn't get it in the form I required I forgot about it.