accommodation

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ferdinand

Re: accommodation

Post by ferdinand »

I'd suggest to the op that there are considerable benefits in booking the night before, especially for chains using the Low Cost Airline pricing model, which is probably Travelodge and Premier Inn. Travelodge are willing to juggle rooms to Gnd Floor after you arrive if they can - helpful.

There is also a lot of benefit in having a phone which can do it online. Some places are cheaper that way.

My approach is to have a few known sources of places, and book chains online, but phone up independents and b&bs to talk to a person so I can check things and negotiate. Travelodge is the last resort and I try 2:or 3. They get pricier during the day if there are few spaces. Their overall occupancy last year was 78%.

Smart phones such as the Galaxy Ace can do it and are only about £100 without a contract. That is my spare.

My places stayed since November, all with single occupancy of a nice double or family room and a full English (except at Travelodge).

Best Western *** on Isle of Wight - £40, but extra night on a group weekend. Bike in room all weekend.
Travelodge, Newport, IOW - £35 Bike in room.
BB Portsmouth, via Cyclists Welcome from CTC - £50 plus £5 for bike stored in lounge. Fee not flagged in advance.
BB somewhere on the South Coast :-; via Cyclists Welcome. £32. Superb. Go find it. Bike in shed. *
Country pub, Derbyshire. £37 reduced from £85 due to lucky booking on same day when room high and dry. Bike actually left in car as a single night trip.
Travelodge central Bath. £52. On December 30th. Bike in room.

When we ran a BB we never accepted same day bookings because they ruined the family routine.

Always ask about the bike accommodation. Can you carry it up 2 flights? Baths are good for bike storage. Portsmouth locked it away within 5 minutes. Assume they had had issues with maintenance in room in the past and oil on carpet.

Ferdinand

* Not telling.
mr mchenry

Re: accommodation

Post by mr mchenry »

Another advantage of booking online is that often there are cashback discounts in addition to the lower prices available in advance. - Sites like TopCashback can offer generous terms, and hotel sites like booking.com, hotels.com and expedia seem to be particularly good for this, regularly paying 10-12%. I've earned over £1000 in the last 3-4 years, which you can just 'cash in' to your bank account when it becomes payable. You go to the TCB website, click the link to the merchant, it forwards you to the site, something magic happens with cookies and bingo, you get a credit for what you've spent.

If you want to try it, cheekily, do it via this link and if you register it will pay me an introduction kickback as well as anything you earn! :mrgreen: