faroe islands anyone toured there, how did you get there fro

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
BeeKeeper

Re: faroe islands anyone toured there, how did you get there

Post by BeeKeeper »

The time to be in the Faroes is on the 20th March this year for the total eclipse. Of course the chances of it being clear are remote I suspect!
fc101

Post by fc101 »

BeeKeeper wrote:The time to be in the Faroes is on the 20th March this year for the total eclipse.

Quite right, and we couldn't miss the opportunity to take the Danish-chartered ferry that calls in at Newcastle in a fortnight's time! We're looking forward to spending four days in the Faroes with our bikes.

BeeKeeper wrote: Of course the chances of it being clear are remote I suspect!

That's the risk that eclipse chasers have to face. Even if the skies aren't clear, the experience of travelling to see total solar eclipses is still well worth the effort, and particularly when travelling by bike in remote, less visited parts of the world. People travel from all round the globe to be in just the right place to see probably the most spectacular event in nature. Strongly recommended - but I suspect it's too late for anyone wanting to book now to get to the Faroes for the 20th March.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

BeeKeeper wrote:The time to be in the Faroes is on the 20th March this year for the total eclipse. Of course the chances of it being clear are remote I suspect!

Slightly OT... I have just spent a week in Iceland and there were either clear skies and no Aurora activity or lots of Aurora activity and total cloud cover.

However spent some time on a volcano in high winds, went walking at -15 with the windchill, and learnt a lot about the geology and Huldufólk so thoroughly enjoyed myself

Take your chances, but make sure that you do other things that make the holiday worthwhile even if yo don't achieve the main aim
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

fc101 wrote:That's the risk that eclipse chasers have to face. Even if the skies aren't clear, the experience of travelling to see total solar eclipses is still well worth the effort, and particularly when travelling by bike in remote, less visited parts of the world. People travel from all round the globe to be in just the right place to see probably the most spectacular event in nature. Strongly recommended - but I suspect it's too late for anyone wanting to book now to get to the Faroes for the 20th March.

I was in South Devon for the last one in the UK and we had cloud but it was still a weird experience. The birds flew into the bushes thinking it was time for bed. We had a BBQ in the garden and watched the traffic jams for the rest iof the afternoon as everyone tried to get back home. They would probably have been better on bikes!