Unique Cycling Tour...Riders Wanted

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
smith4188

Post by smith4188 »

Between 2011 and 2013 I did a massive European tour and it was wonderful except that I spent all of my money. I started looking around for a cheaper and yet still enjoyable way to travel and I hope I've found it.

This summer I'm attempting to cycle from the north of England to Gibraltar living on £1 per day. The majority of my food will come from fishing and foraging. It will take around 100 days. Normally I cycle alone but on this year's ride, without the campsites, bars and restaurants of my previous rides, it might get a bit lonely and so I'm looking for a handful of people to join me on this unique tour.

I appreciate that few people can take three months out of their busy lives but the timing of this tour would be ideal for students, the retired or anyone who is sick of daily life. The trip will cost less than it would to stay at home and you'll get the opportunity to attempt something that has (I think) never been done before.

If you're interested in joining me, or keeping an eye on the trip, please visit http://www.rideandseek2015.com/. It would be great to have you along!
Last edited by smith4188 on 11 Mar 2015, 12:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.EuropeByBicycle.com - Country-by-country touring info for 54 European nations and disputed regions
Heltor Chasca

Re: Unique Cycling Tour...Riders Wanted

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Sounds cracking! I'm self a self employed gardener so couldn't join you in person. However in spirit I'll be there checking out your blog. Fishing? I'm not any good. Foraging? Hell yeah! I wish I could contribute. Hey wait a minute: I might have a spare wild food book or 2. Let me know if you are on the scrounge for some literature...b
smith4188

Post by smith4188 »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Sounds cracking! I'm self a self employed gardener so couldn't join you in person. However in spirit I'll be there checking out your blog. Fishing? I'm not any good. Foraging? Hell yeah! I wish I could contribute. Hey wait a minute: I might have a spare wild food book or 2. Let me know if you are on the scrounge for some literature...b

Thanks for the offer but since my foraging knowledge has holes I'm taking along my lightweight library: 5 x Collins Gems (Food for Free, Trees, Fish, Seashore and Mushrooms). I'll also have my free-internet Kindle if I need additional info. If the whole world decides not to use gardeners this summer, it'd be a cheap holiday for you. :D
http://www.EuropeByBicycle.com - Country-by-country touring info for 54 European nations and disputed regions
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Heh heh. Good enough library Steven. By hook or by crook I'll find a way to help. I like the charity you are riding for and I've 'wish listed' your book on Amazon. I've challenged myself: If I finish pollarding a little copse I'm doing tomorrow without falling out a tree I'll buy your book by Friday evening. (Useless, late paying clients beside) The reviews are brilliant. Kind regards, Blair.
smith4188

Post by smith4188 »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Heh heh. Good enough library Steven. By hook or by crook I'll find a way to help. I like the charity you are riding for and I've 'wish listed' your book on Amazon. I've challenged myself: If I finish pollarding a little copse I'm doing tomorrow without falling out a tree I'll buy your book by Friday evening. (Useless, late paying clients beside) The reviews are brilliant. Kind regards, Blair.

:) Thank you. May I suggest taking a couple of mattresses to place around each trunk in case you take a tumble? I'd love another book sale but would hate to think your life depended upon it.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

When I lived in France, in my area fishing was strictly controlled and pretty well everywhere you had to have a license. In fact I had a river running across my land (which was well big enough to catch decent fish in) and had I wanted to fish in my bit of river running across my land, fishing from my land I would still have needed to go any buy a license.

So if you are fishing, be aware there may be regulations.

Ian
smith4188

Post by smith4188 »

Psamathe wrote:When I lived in France, in my area fishing was strictly controlled and pretty well everywhere you had to have a license. In fact I had a river running across my land (which was well big enough to catch decent fish in) and had I wanted to fish in my bit of river running across my land, fishing from my land I would still have needed to go any buy a license.

Ian

We're sticking to the coast. Sea fishing in France, like the UK, doesn't require a licence. Unfortunately sea fishing requires one in Spain and Portugal and yet, because of the nature of the trip (the fact that you need to get a different licence for each region within both countries by sitting an exam about hunting in the local language), it will be impossible to get one. Wild camping is also illegal in all of these countries. And riding without a helmet in Spain is illegal. I don't mind breaking stupid laws, which all of these are.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Roadkill?
smith4188

Post by smith4188 »

mercalia wrote:Roadkill?

:) Unlikely. Vin Cox (round-the-world record holder for a while) attempted something like a ten day cycle/forage ride (but without the £1 per day) from Devon to Scotland. He ate roadkill, got sick and had to quit. It's not worth it. And it's his attempt that made me think it would be impossible without the £1.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

smith4188 wrote:
Psamathe wrote:When I lived in France, in my area fishing was strictly controlled and pretty well everywhere you had to have a license. In fact I had a river running across my land (which was well big enough to catch decent fish in) and had I wanted to fish in my bit of river running across my land, fishing from my land I would still have needed to go any buy a license.

Ian

We're sticking to the coast. Sea fishing in France, like the UK, doesn't require a licence. Unfortunately sea fishing requires one in Spain and Portugal and yet, because of the nature of the trip (the fact that you need to get a different licence for each region within both countries by sitting an exam about hunting in the local language), it will be impossible to get one. Wild camping is also illegal in all of these countries. And riding without a helmet in Spain is illegal. I don't mind breaking stupid laws, which all of these are.

Where I was no need to sit an exam for a fishing license (maybe there was a rule but my experience with the French and rules is "rules are meant to be broken" ... and boy did I experience some rules broken (in my favour!!)) - you just pay money. But for La Chasse there were several exams, training, etc.

But I have no idea about different regions.

Ian
pwa

Post by pwa »

My father, Irish and proud of it, has always been keen on foraging. His version consists of walking into a field and picking carrots, swede or whatever, in an open and obvious way, even walking over to the farmer for a bit of conversation. As a boy he was brought up to see this as a socially acceptable perk of living in the countryside, and he refuses to modify his views (he's now 82). I'm not recommending this approach, and I don't do it myself.

PS this may get you shot!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pwa wrote:My father, Irish and proud of it, has always been keen on foraging. His version consists of walking into a field and picking carrots, swede or whatever, in an open and obvious way, even walking over to the farmer for a bit of conversation. As a boy he was brought up to see this as a socially acceptable perk of living in the countryside, and he refuses to modify his views (he's now 82). I'm not recommending this approach, and I don't do it myself.

PS this may get you shot!

hehe do that in East Anglia end up like the rabbits.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

When I was a teenager, my brother and I called this 'going fishing for a few days'. :D

We never went for so long as 100 days, though. It sounds like fun & I wish you the best with it.

p.s. one lesson I learned then was that violets and dandelions go with anything, and wild chicory goes with nothing
p.p.s. make sure that you have knowledge specific to the area in which you are travelling. it's quite possible that a plant or mushroom which is safe to eat in England has an unsafe lookalike in France.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

I'm not sure how lucky you'll be finding mushrooms in the summer, but in France you can take wild mushrooms to any pharmacy and they'll tell you whether they are safe to eat (it's a public service thing, so free of charge as well).

As there are so many pharmacies in France this may be useful!
smith4188

Post by smith4188 »

jamesgilbert wrote:I'm not sure how lucky you'll be finding mushrooms in the summer, but in France you can take wild mushrooms to any pharmacy and they'll tell you whether they are safe to eat (it's a public service thing, so free of charge as well). As there are so many pharmacies in France this may be useful!

That's useful. I didn't know that. Thanks.