Back on the bike pre tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
lisap

Back on the bike pre tour

Post by lisap »

It has been a very long time since I cycled, October 2012 was the last time my white legs were on view to the world, except for nipping to the post box that is, but that doesn't really count. I had swapped leg power for horse power, the equine variety and had been very content breaking my youngster in and hacking him about the countryside but these past few months I've suffered from itchy feet.

Not only did I have itchy feet but I also had the desire to sit on my bicycle so I hatched a plan to put an end to the nonsense and go on tour. I have spent the past few weeks with maps spread out on the floor working out my daily mileage so as to be able to calculate flight dates, re ordered my replacement RoadID tags as I have moved since the last ones were made, put together my kit list and made sure everything is serviceable and today I got on my bike.

I rode to the yard, not far about 9 miles in total and was amazed at how fit I was. My legs managed all the hills albeit slower than I used to do them and my lungs managed to keep up. I have told myself if I keep it up for a month and train properly I can book the flights at the end of May.

The plan is to fly to San Diego on September 10th and ride the Southern Tier to St Augustine, turn right at the Atlantic and end up in Miami flying back on December 1st. I am very excited (for excited read unbearable and hyper) and can't wait to go because as much as I love my horse there's nothing like being on tour.
vinyl_theif

Re: Back on the bike pre tour

Post by vinyl_theif »

Pre-tour excitement, it sounds like a great tour. I cycled across the U.S. on Route 66 and loved every moment of it, hopefully your tour will be just as much fun. :)
mark http://www.wallisonwheels.net England to Singapore