where can I buy a bike box in Nice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Linda13

where can I buy a bike box in Nice

Post by Linda13 »

Does anyone know where I can buy a bike box in Nice to transport my bike home on the plane. Does anyone know if there is a bike boxing service in the airport at Nice?...Linda13
eileithyia

Re: where can I buy a bike box in Nice

Post by eileithyia »

Visit a couple of bike shops and ask nicely?
Does it have to be a box, what about a big plastic bag, we bought big cycle covers from Decathlon (intended to drop over the bike as a cover if stored out of doors) we put it on the floor, wheeled the bike on and pulled up around the bike and taped it up.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

To find bike shops, put it into the search on google maps and it will show them. I've used this to locate nearby shops.

I haven't been to Nice airport in years, but doubt if there is a bike packing service.
robgul

Post by robgul »

There is a GoSport shop in the middle of the town - just N of the big square where the trams are ... or it may be a Decathlon? - whatever, pretty good chance of blagging a cardboard bike carrton.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
biscaystorm

Post by biscaystorm »

robgul wrote:There is a GoSport shop in the middle of the town - just N of the big square where the trams are ... or it may be a Decathlon? - whatever, pretty good chance of blagging a cardboard bike carrton.

Rob

I asked very nicely (en Francais) the in-store bike mechanics of GoSport in Lyon for 2 cable-ties.

I was given the directions to a hardware store...
Linda13

Post by Linda13 »

Thanks for all the replies so far, the messages have been informative and have reassured me that bagging/boxing up my bike for the flight will not be too great a problem, Linda13
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

simonhill wrote:To find bike shops, put it into the search on google maps and it will show them. I've used this to locate nearby shops.

I've pre-emailed bike shops before tours, all over France and Spain, and never yet been refused a box, and only once asked to pay (Green Bikes BCN who want to pack it up and charge you, fair enough), I usually make sure I have 2 shops willing to help to cover anything going wrong.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

In a side street opposite the railway station there is a bike shop, can't remember the name but if I do I will post it here. Very helpful owner I am sure he would give you a bike box and maybe for a few euros box your bike for you. From there you could get on a bus to the airport with your box.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

Back up plan: The service office at the airport has a big roll of poly bags for 4 euros each. You need two and some brown tape.
Polite

Post by Polite »

robgul wrote:There is a GoSport shop in the middle of the town - just N of the big square where the trams are ... or it may be a Decathlon? - whatever, pretty good chance of blagging a cardboard bike carrton.

Rob

I also went to this store last year, and they gave me a box free of charge. Really helpful staff.
keithratcliff1

Post by keithratcliff1 »

sorry, I know it's bad etiquette on a forum to bring back a thread from years ago. However, better than starting a new one and this thread comes up when you google search for bike boxes Nice airport so maybe I can help someone else out. just finished a cycle across and down France from Nantes to Nice so didn't want to carry a heavy bike bag over grand massif range.

I emailed the safebag company in airport as the Nice airport website suggests they stock bike boxes. they don't, they only offer a wrapping service which they offered but which I doubt meets easyjet standards. I have been denied a flight with New Zealand air with a CTC plastic bag before as they said their baggage handlers and equipment system could be hurt/ damaged by protruding parts (although padded) and they didn't want to take any risk my bike was broken as they considered it unprotected.

so I spent yesterday going round 7 bike shops in Nice and posting for one on facebook, none seem to sell any bikes(!) as they didn't have spare boxes. ultimately realised I could spend €60 at decathlon for a bike bag (remember they are shut Sundays, there are 2 decathlons near Nice). Gosport were very friendly and they did check the store room for me but no spare boxes. I suspect they do sell bikes regularly given the 10 or so unopened bike boxes in the store room so they are worth trying. but then you have to get to airport, only 4 miles by the coast vs paying for you and the bike box to go by bus and carry to bus stop or shuttle (offered a shuttle at 35€) which makes the bag cost seem minimal.

At the airport there is a shurgard boxing and moving company which may help anyone as a last resort.

just thought it worth saying, don't turn up at airport expecting to get a box there.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

It will be worth emailing or phoning beforehand.
Bike shops generally won't store the boxes they get the bikes in for very long after the bike has been sold, and it's also likely that those waiting for the recycling to come round will have been flattened.
I've been told to come back midweek in a UK LBS for the outbound trip.
Silverdorking

Post by Silverdorking »

I flew my bike home with Easyjet Nice-Bristol June 2016 and at that time bought a cardboard box and tape from a baggage wrapping outfit on the ground floor in the Departure terminal. Sorry if this information is now historic!
abbie60

Post by abbie60 »

hi all
can you give me an update on anyone's flight experiences from Nice airport to London with a bike (in or out of a box).
we are cycling down to Nice in the summer 2019 and are finding that a flight back appears more feasible from Nice rather than train rides due to the poor information and booking systems for train travel with fully assembled bikes.
thanks Abbie
truckturner

Post by truckturner »

Re train travel from Nice. Travelled to Calais from Nice last year with 4 fully loaded touring bikes. Go to the station buy some tickets you may have to place your bike in a plastic bag I found advance booking saved me little and I prefer the flexibility of on the day. I have never had a problem with my bike on a train in France . I have no experience with Eurostar though. Train travel is expensive from north to south about £250 per person. My collegue however took his bike to the airport where they gave him a box. He arrived in Nice 48 hours before the flight to explore Nice and find a box.

Cheers Peter