Garmin Edge Touring routes overseas

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Richard H

Garmin Edge Touring routes overseas

Post by Richard H »

As a newcomer to GPS based touring, how can I check that the routes I have set up using Basecamp have been correctly loaded into the GPS? The routes are for an upcoming tour in Germany but I'm currently located in UK: hooking the GPS to my computer shows the routes are on the data card but I can't see them by accessing Where to? / Saved / Courses. This is all rather stressful as i leave for Germany tomorrow! I can see from the handset that the German map is installed (from Openfietsmap, a Dutch version of OpenStreetMap) Can I just assume that when I'm physically located in Germany that the routes will be visible? Seems very hit-&-miss!

Any help will be gratefully received.

Richard
chris_suffolk

Re: Garmin Edge Touring routes overseas

Post by chris_suffolk »

I've an etrex 20, so it may be different on an edge, but just load the route up and tell it to show the route on a map - doesn't matter that you're not anywhere close (at least on a 20 it doesn't)
MuirSR

Post by MuirSR »

Richard H wrote:hooking the GPS to my computer shows the routes are on the data card but I can't see them by accessing Where to? / Saved / Courses.

I've never put routes on the data card; maps, yes, but not routes.

On my Garmin (an Oregon), I have to put tracks and routes into the GPX directory in the device's own storage; it's the same directory the device uses to save its tacks. (Perhaps creating a "/Garmin/GPX" directory on the data card would serve the same purpose, but I've never tried it -- anyone know if this works?)

All the tracks/routes in this directory are visible when using "Where to?", regardless of my current location, so the fact that you can't see yours indicates to me that you haven't placed them where they need to be.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

MuirSR wrote:
Richard H wrote:hooking the GPS to my computer shows the routes are on the data card but I can't see them by accessing Where to? / Saved / Courses.

I've never put routes on the data card; maps, yes, but not routes.

On my Garmin (an Oregon), I have to put tracks and routes into the GPX directory in the device's own storage; it's the same directory the device uses to save its tacks. (Perhaps creating a "/Garmin/GPX" directory on the data card would serve the same purpose, but I've never tried it -- anyone know if this works?)

All the tracks/routes in this directory are visible when using "Where to?", regardless of my current location, so the fact that you can't see yours indicates to me that you haven't placed them where they need to be.

MuirSR- that's cracked it! I was putting the routes onto the data card; I've now put them into the device storage and can finally see them on the device. You've saved my bacon (or at least have saved me from having to rely on paper - which after the time spent setting up 600km of routes would have been very aggravating :D

Many thanks

Richard
MuirSR

Post by MuirSR »

I'm glad it's resolved.

I've also been doing a bit of experimenting. I've created a /Garmin/GPX directory on the data card (the /Garmin directory was already present, containing extra map files, so I merely created a GPX sub-directory in here) and I've placed a few sample "route" files in it from a route I quickly knocked up in bikehike, saved in several different formats.

The good news is the device recognises the files in the new directory, so it's not necessary to place the files in the GPX directory in the device's internal storage.

Whether the device will store saved tracks in this new directory remains to be seen (I could see no configuration option to say where it should save tracks); however, if it doesn't, it provides a neat way of segregating planned "routes" I prepare on my PC from the "tracks" I record on the device.

The next good news was that I'd created files of the route as both a gpx route and as a gpxx route. (I also created a gpx track and a tcx file.) When loading the gpx route, the device complained it contained more than 50 waypoints. However, the gpxx route was loaded with no complaint whatsoever, so I'll be using this type of route file in future. The gpx track file was recognised, but I know already, the Garmin will not give "turn indications" when navigating with this type of file. (I know other makes of GPS device which do.) The tcx file wasn't recognised at all.