Calais to Montpellier

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
johnmillward74

Calais to Montpellier

Post by johnmillward74 »

Hi

I am setting off on the following next month;
http://timetogetouttahere.co.uk/calais- ... ance-2015/

Does anyone have any tips or advice about cycling in France?

Many thanks
John Millward - Cycling Adventures
http://timetogetouttahere.co.uk
martin blain

Re: Calais to Montpellier

Post by martin blain »

Keep to the right.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Brush up on the language a bit. What you are likely to need in shops, restaurants, etc, and some words to explain your journey to people. Outside cities most folk you meet (including drivers) will be friendly and helpful.

Keep the wine to one bottle per evening. It is one unit per bottle isn't it? Seven units per week sounds like moderate drinking to me.
mullinsm

Post by mullinsm »

I did Santander to St Malo a couple of years back on not even GCSE French -literally about 10 words -and had no problem at all. The French were lovely and those few who don't speak English were very forgiving and helpful. I'm doing Dunkirk to the Pyrenees in August, so I'll be following you most of the way. Good luck, you'll have a ball. My only word of caution is always carry a days food. Shops in France can be a bit hit and miss, especially on Sundays.
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

mullinsm wrote: Shops in France can be a bit hit and miss, especially on Sundays.
and Mondays
beardy

Post by beardy »

One thing that is different enough to cause trouble is the "priority from the right" rule.

If there are no stop or give way lines at a junction you have to give priority to the vehicle coming from the right. So you can be going along what is obviously the dominant road but unless a side road on the right has a stop line, you have to give way to them!
I think that you also get warning signs in advance that you are on the priority road. A diamond with priority and a crossed out one without.
Though I may not have this entirely correct, I am more familiar with coming unstuck this way in Germany but I think France does it too. Or there were some very bad drivers. :lol:
Ray

Post by Ray »

beardy wrote:One thing that is different enough to cause trouble is the "priority from the right" rule.

If there are no stop or give way lines at a junction you have to give priority to the vehicle coming from the right. So you can be going along what is obviously the dominant road but unless a side road on the right has a stop line, you have to give way to them!
I think that you also get warning signs in advance that you are on the priority road. A diamond with priority and a crossed out one without.
Though I may not have this entirely correct, I am more familiar with coming unstuck this way in Germany but I think France does it too. Or there were some very bad drivers. :lol:

This practice - alarming to the unprepared - seems far less prevalent these days, but you should always be alert to the possibility. Having said that, survival in traffic anywhere, anytime, depends on constant vigilance. As I'm sure you know! In that respect, no different in France than anywhere else.

Bonne route!
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Enjoy.
As with any country I go to, take a phrase book, schoolgirl French might have helped a little when i have been in France, but not much use in Greece, Denmark, Poland and a whole host of other countries i have visited ...... so have taken a phrase book and got on with it..... as long as you attempt a few basic phrases you will be fine...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

beardy wrote:One thing that is different enough to cause trouble is the "priority from the right" rule.

This is the road sign that tells you that you are approaching a junction where you have to give way to the right: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panneau_de ... _en_France

Unfortunately it's not always used, especially in towns.
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

One other thing regarding 'priority to the right' is that you can imagine the confusion caused by the introduction of roundabouts in the 1980s (where you give way to the left). This is why many French roundabouts still have signs saying "you do NOT have priority"! On some of the much older huge roundabouts in Paris you still give way to the right (i.e. traffic entering the roundabout has priority).
Last edited by jamesgilbert on 11 Jun 2015, 9:14am, edited 1 time in total.
johnmillward74

Post by johnmillward74 »

Hmmm, yes, I've been a passenger in a car in France and that has caused a few issues....I guess as anywhere its a case of keeping eyes peeled at all times! Although it does sound as if the French in general are more respectful of cyclists right to the road than in England.
johnmillward74

Post by johnmillward74 »

pwa wrote:Keep the wine to one bottle per evening. It is one unit per bottle isn't it? Seven units per week sounds like moderate drinking to me.

Will try to......although it will be hot in July and I've been told I need to watch out for dehydration and drink lots . . . . .
Ray

Post by Ray »

johnmillward74 wrote:
pwa wrote:Keep the wine to one bottle per evening. It is one unit per bottle isn't it? Seven units per week sounds like moderate drinking to me.

Will try to......although it will be hot in July and I've been told I need to watch out for dehydration and drink lots . . . . .

. . . . of water!!

Many an untrue word is spoken in jest.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell