Return from the Arctic

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Wag67

Return from the Arctic

Post by Wag67 »

Hi all, just joined the forum and I was looking for a bit of advice on a trip I’m planning next year. A friend and myself are riding from Kirkenes in Norway back to Eastbourne in June. When we reach the Gulf of Bothnia I’m not sure whether to keep on through Finland and take a ferry from Turku or take the route through Sweden. The ferry is not the question, we just want the best/most scenic/easiest route. Also anybody out there with experience with mosquitoes in the Arctic in June. Any practical advice will be welcome. Wag67
CliveyT

Re: Return from the Arctic

Post by CliveyT »

I've never done the Swedish side so I can't comment on that, but I know the Finnish side quite well, especially the southern part. If you've got the time the seaside route down through Finland can be good. AFAIK the Baltic Eurovelo route isn't signposted yet, but a look at that would give you some idea of the route. Beaches, attractive towns etc (Kalajoki, Kokkola, Vaasa, Rauma, Naantali). It also gives you the chance to head off through the Aland islands which also have a lot of free ferries between then and are well set-up for cycle touring.

If you're more pushed for time then central Pohjanmaa is not the most exciting (think the fens, except that farm buildings are quite attractive red wooden things). You could head down via Tampere, which is a good place to visit . I like it around there, but I know some people find the mile after mile of trees and lakes gets a bit monotonous after a time. Some of the ferries will take bikes (or at least certainly did) so that's another thing you can take in if you want.
Regarding mossies, the later you leave it the worse they will get. You'll miss the worst up north in any case but you will start to meet them coming South. They get worse in July that's for sure.
Wag67

Post by Wag67 »

Thanks for your fast reply, that route down the coast does sound great but time is a factor. I’m guessing that our total distance is approximately 2500 miles taking the most direct route available. I like trees, but that stretch of Finland does have a lot, all the same height and type. Might put me seriously off Christmas.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
robing

Post by robing »

The mossies are huge up in the Arctic, aren't they? In Alaska they are known as the national bird!
That's one thing that puts me off as I'm a mossie magnet.
I want to do Europe end to end - Tarifa to the north Cape. Maybe it's better to start at the top?
Wag67

Post by Wag67 »

I definitely think you’re right, to avoid the mosquitoes North to South is the thing to do. I think though the Norwegian side is quite well cycled near the coast, that might be clearer from them. There’s a chap on YouTube, I think goes under the name of touring pro, seems quite sensible and knows that area, I’ve seen a couple of his videos. If you can get in contact with him he’d let you know.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

robing wrote:I want to do Europe end to end - Tarifa to the north Cape. Maybe it's better to start at the top?

Depends on when you're planning to go. Mossie (and even worse elk fly) season season is really intense but actually quite short. If you aim to arrivfe in the north late August/Sept you'll miss the worst. Everything is weather dependent tho'
robing

Post by robing »

CliveyT wrote:
robing wrote:I want to do Europe end to end - Tarifa to the north Cape. Maybe it's better to start at the top?

Depends on when you're planning to go. Mossie (and even worse elk fly) season season is really intense but actually quite short. If you aim to arrivfe in the north late August/Sept you'll miss the worst. Everything is weather dependent tho'

Good point. What's the earliest you could sensibly start in the north? And what about prevailing winds?
Wag67

Post by Wag67 »

I was planning the first of June as a start date, apparently June is the driest month. I was hoping to do the first stretch, Kirkenes to Haparanda in under a week. This is where I’m still undecided though, Finnish side to Turku, or Swedish side to Stockholm( which I will be cycling through either way).

Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

In early June, mosquitoes are unlikely to be a problem, as the season doesn't start for a few more weeks.

What's more likely to be a problem is variable weather conditions. In early June, you could still have at or below freezing. It could also be 20 degrees and sunshine, so you need to travel prepared.

You are likely to have a few days of cycling through rolling hills and northern pine forest, but other than that, I would expect the Swedish route to be pleasant and scenic. The Finnish route might be a little a flatter, but it somewhat depends on route specifics. I don't know the Finnish route, and I've only been there once, so I can't help with that.

Stockholm is a pleasant place to visit & I enjoy cycling in Sweden.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Wag67

Post by Wag67 »

Vorpal wrote:In early June, mosquitoes are unlikely to be a problem, as the season doesn't start for a few more weeks.

What's more likely to be a problem is variable weather conditions. In early June, you could still have at or below freezing. It could also be 20 degrees and sunshine, so you need to travel prepared.

You are likely to have a few days of cycling through rolling hills and northern pine forest, but other than that, I would expect the Swedish route to be pleasant and scenic. The Finnish route might be a little a flatter, but it somewhat depends on route specifics. I don't know the Finnish route, and I've only been there once, so I cnaæt help with that.

Stockholm is a pleasant place to visit & I enjoy cycling in Sweden.

Thanks Vorpal, I’m taking two sleeping bags and enough warm weather clothes. I’ll just pack up the more extreme stuff and post it home when I get further South to save weight

CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Wag67 wrote:I was planning the first of June as a start date, apparently June is the driest month. I was hoping to do the first stretch, Kirkenes to Haparanda in under a week. This is where I’m still undecided though, Finnish side to Turku, or Swedish side to Stockholm( which I will be cycling through either way).

I'm sort of assuming you're heading for the Oresund bridge (inserting strange Scandinavian characters I'll leave as an exercise for the reader) and then down through Denmark to (maybe) Hook of Holland, but there are a whole stack of ferries across the Baltic (Gothenburg-Frederikshavn, cuts off all the bottom bit of Sweden?, even Helsinki-Travemunde but that's a whole day on board.
There is also (or at least was last time I was there) a ferry from Vaasa to Umea so you could do a bit of parallel Sweden cross over to the real Sweden in the same trip
Wag67

Post by Wag67 »

CliveyT wrote:
Wag67 wrote:I was planning the first of June as a start date, apparently June is the driest month. I was hoping to do the first stretch, Kirkenes to Haparanda in under a week. This is where I’m still undecided though, Finnish side to Turku, or Swedish side to Stockholm( which I will be cycling through either way).

I'm sort of assuming you're heading for the Oresund bridge (inserting strange Scandinavian characters I'll leave as an exercise for the reader) and then down through Denmark to (maybe) Hook of Holland, but there are a whole stack of ferries across the Baltic (Gothenburg-Frederikshavn, cuts off all the bottom bit of Sweden?, even Helsinki-Travemunde but that's a whole day on board.
There is also (or at least was last time I was there) a ferry from Vaasa to Umea so you could do a bit of parallel Sweden cross over to the real Sweden in the same trip

I’ve spotted that crossing as well, looks like a possibility. I am using the Oresund bridge, I’ve got to get to Eastbourne so am aiming for Oostende or Calais
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Unless it has changed, cyclists are not allowed on Øresund bridge. There is a cycle ferry, and you can take your bike across on the bus.

Edited to add: there is a train you can take bikes on, as well.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Wag67

Post by Wag67 »

Vorpal wrote:Unless it has changed, cyclists are not allowed on Øresund bridge. There is a cycle ferry, and you can take your bike across on the bus.

Edited to add: there is a train you can take bikes on, as well.

Thanks for the info, a bit disappointing though, I was looking forward to cycling across it. I’m going to have to find another big bridge
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If you are going to Copenhagen, you can take a tour of the bicycle bridges, there :)