Returning subscription allocation to HQ

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
prestavalve

Re: Returning subscription allocation to HQ

Post by prestavalve »

Philip Benstead wrote:The rate of pay for what the CLUB secretary was in the line of a teacher pay but with the change to CEO in time of Kevin Mayne the rate pays went up to that of a headteacher.

Most headteachers work a damn sight harder than CEOs.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Bonefishblues wrote:The CTC as was has gone. That's just the way it is. It now has a different remit and objectives. If it no longer represents something to which people want to contribute because it doesn't represent their interests, then that's their prerogative (as would be the ability to create a facsimile of the previous organisation, I guess).

[I am not and was never a member, so feel free to ignore my comments, but they are those of an interested but uninvolved onlooker, as it were]

I am interested in why?
Last edited by Graham on 12 Jan 2021, 1:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quotation demangled
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Philip Benstead wrote:I am interested in why?

Ah! I see a question embedded in there :D

I don't really 'join' things tbh, and when I started touring in the early 80s I simply read some stuff in magazines and started. I must confess that even then, as a relatively young man, the CTC's perception, in my mind anyway, was as a Club for somewhat more mature cyclists.
Last edited by Graham on 12 Jan 2021, 1:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quotation demangled
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

I have heard that kind of reason many times.

I join the CTC in 1971 age 17. I did not come from a cycling family.

Yes, there were some mature people eg 40 plus but in the south-east London, there were some young people as well.

IMHO The concept of not joining things I find strange. Do you go to work, pay taxes to visit an NHS doctor or join a library? The reason the powers that be get away with things is because many will not enguarge.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Philip Benstead wrote: <SNIP>

You asked a question, I answered as directly as I could.

Yes I go to work.
Yes I pay taxes.
Yes I am a member of a library, but tbh I find it hard to get there regularly.

Perception is reality, remember, and that was my honest perception of the CTC.
I'm not sure how me being a CTC member or going to the library more regularly would curb the powers that be.

To have a voice in my local community I did a couple of years as a Parish Councillor, and I could walk you through the things we achieved during that time, and which continue to this day.

Be careful about broad brushes - they may colour more than intended :wink:
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

I think this has rambled off track a little?
All I know, is that my original message regarding my opinion of 'obscene' salaries has been sent to CEO.
CTC now Cycling UK is in fact no longer a Cycling/Cyclists Club. It is a business.
Cycling UK has been formed by hijacking CTC . The business owns other small businesses involved in cycling.
Would 'our' Cyclists Club do that I ask? Not a chance.
The presumption that all members are daft enough to think that 1) The magazine is worth reading 2) That the 'Club' Insurance is worth having.
On both I feel the answer is now 'no'!
Regular Household cover is all that is required these days for cover.
The magazine has now depleted to an advertising 'rag'.
Membership is no longer required by any/all cyclists.
If you want to race (I am now too old and battered) then join British Cycling.
If you want to Audax, join Audax UK Much better magazine too!
John
prestavalve

Post by prestavalve »

leftpoole wrote:If you want to Audax, join Audax UK Much better magazine too!

Given that I have been a member of Cycling UK for a while now and have never received my magazine, I'll have a think about this. Thanks.
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

prestavalve wrote:Given that I have been a member of Cycling UK for a while now and have never received my magazine, I'll have a think about this. Thanks.

That's a shame. Have you asked Cycling UK about this? An email to groups@cyclinguk.org is worth a try if you haven't asked already.

Have you looked online to check your profile (that's the "circle with a vague outline of a head in it" button!) has the right postal address, and that your "mailing options" don't have a tick next to "Post - no magazines"? You may have provided the right info and not ticked the box, but it's data, and mistakes can happen.

If you've done all this already and you still aren't getting the magazine then that's not so good!
PH

Post by PH »

prestavalve wrote:
leftpoole wrote:If you want to Audax, join Audax UK Much better magazine too!

Given that I have been a member of Cycling UK for a while now and have never received my magazine, I'll have a think about this. Thanks.

AUK membership doesn't include any insurance, other than for the time you're riding an event. I'm a member of all three, they each offer both something of benefit to me and something I'm happy to support.
prestavalve

Post by prestavalve »

backnotes wrote:If you've done all this already and you still aren't getting the magazine then that's not so good!

Thankyou Captain Adult, I know how to buy things on the Internet (I am just being a willy, that's a sensible thing to advise) - got my membership pack a while back, we'll see if the next magazine arrives. Not going to bother helping anyone do their job on this one, now I know the person in charge is paid more than me.

I am a member of British Cycling and also get insurance through them: I have done Audax events in the past in Malaysia (where there is a plucky little Audax club) and was always welcome. Mostly just looking for a proactive community here in the UK. No longer sure if this is it any more.
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

prestavalve wrote:I am just being a willy

No comment :D

I was a membership secretary for a Cycling UK group. I am sure you are smarter than our average member was, but there were a number of times when the reason people were not getting this, that or the other was that they had previously opted out, and were berating Cycling UK for a choice they had made in the past. Anyway, that will obviously not be the case for you as a sophisticated online purchaser and digital native.

I'm in Audax UK too, and agree their magazine is good.

Best wishes - hope the magazine turns up.

Captain Adult
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

PS - Doh! I now see you only joined Cycling UK on 24th Dec 2020. The last magazine came out some time before then, so you should get the next one within two months. I took it from your earlier post that this was a long-standing issue you had been struggling to resolve. My mistake.

Captain Presumption
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

Backnotes -Ref no mag for new member?
SURELY new member welcome pack has this enclosed????
prestavalve

Post by prestavalve »

backnotes wrote:PS - Doh! I now see you only joined Cycling UK on 24th Dec 2020

That's when I joined this forum - the membership was weeks earlier.
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

prestavalve wrote:That's when I joined this forum - the membership was weeks earlier.

Sorry - my mistake. If you have been waiting for weeks, then all I can suggest is ask them as above.