First ever CTC ride today-not!

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
leftpoole

First ever CTC ride today-not!

Postby leftpoole » 24 Feb 2008, 4:19pm

Hello,
After many Years as a CTC Member, I have never been out with a local Group I used to live in Dorset (Wessex CTC) and knew many CTC Members from the local bike shops and events including Cycle Jumbles etc. My wife has always nagged that I should join in and stop being a 'lone ranger'. So- as I live at present in Gloucestershire I am not too far from Bristol. (Be glad to go home to Dorset in a Year or so-hopefully) I looked up the up to date latest Sunday runs list. Lo and behold a Sunday run this Sunday from Winterbourne Bristol to Slimbridge Wetlands Trust. I thought to myself OK I will go take a look.Please NOTE I did not go to the Wetlands Trust-I went to the Cafe at the bridge at slimbridge op[posite the Pub.
Sunday morning arrives. I am up dressed fed and watered. Off I go on the Thorn to meet up at the Slimbridge Cafe for tea with fellow (?) CTC Members.
Did I have a good time? Well yes and no!
I had a good time because as always I rode alone. I had my lunch alone and had my cups of tea alone.
Where were those regular CTC Sunday riders today? Do I know? Do I really care?
All I know is that this was my first immpresion and will most likely be my last.
Nobody turned up at all. In fact over a 2 Hour period I only saw 2 other cyclists.
Thank you Bristol CTC for confirming my view of Bristol.
John.
Last edited by leftpoole on 27 Feb 2008, 8:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sue Hawkins

Postby Sue Hawkins » 27 Feb 2008, 6:04pm

I have followed up this complaint with the leader that day who confirms that Bristol CTC arrived at Slimbridge at 12.55 p.m. and left at 2.05 p.m. The majority of the group went to the pub but at least 3 went to the cafe. Those who went to the pub sat outside in the conservatory and the bikes should have been visible.

Our rides programme (paper and web version) states that the destination of the ride is Slimbridge and that there will be three stops, namely cafe, pub, and pub. The Wetland and Wildfowl Trust is not mentioned and it is unlikely that the group would go there as I believe there is an entry charge for non-members.

I appreciate that some members may not be able to meet the group at the start of the ride, but if not there is always the risk that they may miss them at the lunch stop, especially if the leader is unaware that they are planning on joining us.

Sue Hawkins
Rides Programme Secretary
Bristol CTC

leftpoole

Postby leftpoole » 27 Feb 2008, 8:09pm

Hello, Thank you for at least getting the facts straight. I knew what time the ride set off and allowed plenty of time for the riders to make Slimbridge. I arrived at the Cafe at least 2 hours after the start of the ride from Winterbourne.I do not personally think that a ride from point A to point B, of approx 22 miles deserves a Cafe stop!
I now know that a CTC Sunday ride is not for me. I cannot waste that amount of time on a simple ride of approx 22 miles! I like riding my bikes, I do not like sitting in Pubs when the bike is there to ride in the air outside. I am not a fast rider. The ride from my home to Slimbridge is 15 miles. It takes me slightly under 1 hour.
Anyhow again a thank you for your efforts to make things clear for me.
John.

Sue Hawkins

Postby Sue Hawkins » 27 Feb 2008, 9:07pm

The ride was an easy/medium paced ride of 45 miles. The destination given is the lunch time break. Other stops are made in the morning and the afternoon, hence the description of cpp, i.e. cafe (11s), pub (lunch), pub (3s or end of ride). The ride will not have gone direct to Slimbridge but will have gone to a cafe first.

We offer a range of rides on our programme, from 20 miles to 100, from easy-paced to hard-paced, starting from a number of points around Bristol.

Obviously you can't please all of the people all of the time. :)