'New' Groups

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
thirdcrank
Posts: 30804
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Postby thirdcrank » 27 May 2008, 8:35am

It's probably significant that nobody has come on here to say that they have taken on the welfare officer role, or that Baz Archer does it for the Borsetshire DA and he's doing a good job.

If the role was identified as the result of problems, the job description would surely have come first, with the title welfare officer becoming obvious as the duties were settled.

It has the air of a solution looking for a problem. In the meantime, it may be just one more obstacle to the formation of new groups.

User avatar
Simon L6
Posts: 1382
Joined: 4 Jan 2007, 12:43pm

Postby Simon L6 » 27 May 2008, 8:52pm

well, as I've said - the entire SW London DA committee has in effect taken it on.

Karen Sutton
Posts: 608
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:18pm
Location: Greater Manchester

Postby Karen Sutton » 31 May 2008, 7:34am

At our AGM last November we decided that we would await the promised job description for the required Welfare Officer before attempting to recruit one.

Since then I have contacted CTC National Office on three occasions asking whether they have a job description yet. I don't even receive a reply to my enquiries. We have an item on our Committee agenda labelled "Welfare Officer's report". At our June meeting this will again be noted as "post unfilled".

Karen Sutton
Manchester & District CTC

Jimmy The Hand
Posts: 116
Joined: 10 Mar 2008, 11:26am

Postby Jimmy The Hand » 3 Jun 2008, 9:58am

Welfare Officer Guidlines can be seen on the CTC webpages at Resources/groups & clubs/toolkit
Last edited by Jimmy The Hand on 4 Jun 2008, 9:53am, edited 1 time in total.

thirdcrank
Posts: 30804
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Postby thirdcrank » 3 Jun 2008, 10:38am

Jimmy The Hand

Bearing in mind how that has been overlooked so far, may I ask how you became aware of it?

Jimmy The Hand
Posts: 116
Joined: 10 Mar 2008, 11:26am

Postby Jimmy The Hand » 3 Jun 2008, 10:52am

thirdcrank wrote:Jimmy The Hand

Bearing in mind how that has been overlooked so far, may I ask how you became aware of it?


The local groups conference at Derby and our web site courtesy of our local CTC Councillor
Last edited by Jimmy The Hand on 4 Jun 2008, 9:52am, edited 1 time in total.

thirdcrank
Posts: 30804
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Postby thirdcrank » 3 Jun 2008, 6:54pm

In a world where it is sometimes said that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, may I congratulate Jimmy The Hand on being so well informed. 8)

Karen Sutton
Posts: 608
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:18pm
Location: Greater Manchester

Postby Karen Sutton » 3 Jun 2008, 11:28pm

thirdcrank wrote:In a world where it is sometimes said that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, may I congratulate Jimmy The Hand on being so well informed. 8)



It might have been a good idea for National Office/CTC Councillors to send this information to Member Group Secretaries, rather than just hiding it away on the website. Maybe those who run our Member Groups are expected to check the Group Resources area on the website for new additions on a regular basis? This is information that Member Groups have been waiting for since their AGM's last Autumn.

It's a pity that Simon's motion didn't get passed at the AGM. We really do need more recognition of the importance of Groups. Meanwhile I'm now awaiting a response to either of the two messages I left on a CTC staff member's oicemail on Thursday & Friday last week. :x

Jimmy The Hand
Posts: 116
Joined: 10 Mar 2008, 11:26am

Postby Jimmy The Hand » 4 Jun 2008, 9:36am

Karen Sutton wrote: ...... It might have been a good idea for National Office/CTC Councillors to send this information to Member Group Secretaries, rather than just hiding it away on the website.


At least one Councllor has done so! but then with so many Councillors not coming from a MG background is it any wonder that most don't

Karen Sutton wrote: Maybe those who run our Member Groups are expected to check the Group Resources area on the website for new additions on a regular basis?


Yes I think they do, I have to check the Compnies House website, amongst others, to keep upto date with legislation in running my Company no-one sends me an email telling me of changes!

Karen Sutton wrote: It's a pity that Simon's motion didn't get passed at the AGM.


Along with a lot of others I agreed with some of Simons proposals but had to vote against because I strongly disagreed with the others, pity he lumped them all together

Karen Sutton wrote: We really do need more recognition of the importance of Groups.


The only way we'll get that is if we have more Councilors from a MG background!!

BTW Have you checked that the staff member is not on annual leave??

byegad
Posts: 3232
Joined: 3 Sep 2007, 9:44am

Postby byegad » 4 Jun 2008, 1:46pm

I have to reply to the above. We're a CYCLING club not a major listed company. Councillors and Members Group officials do the job unpaid and part time. The full time staff of CTC should be updating these volunteers without them having to check up every few days on what's what.

thirdcrank
Posts: 30804
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Postby thirdcrank » 4 Jun 2008, 6:53pm

(On another thread) pioneer wrote:I got a severe telling off a couple of years ago from one of the lady members in the DA. Out on a ride on my then new bike with just standard mudguards, no extra flap'. "I hope your'e going to put a rain-flap on that" she said. And then carried on with a detailed explanation of rain,spray etc (as if I didn't know!).

A pity it didn't actually rain that day.

And I never did put an extra flap on that bike.


Having followed the links to find out the sp on welfare officers, I offer the above as an example of just the sort of serious situation which has gone unchecked in the past. It just amazes me that the CTC has managed to limp from the 19C to the 21C without spotting this lacuna. :roll: And it seems there are still some parts of the CTC where the deficiency has not been remedied. :shock: :shock:

Karen Sutton
Posts: 608
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:18pm
Location: Greater Manchester

Postby Karen Sutton » 5 Jun 2008, 2:36pm

thirdcrank wrote:
(On another thread) pioneer wrote:I got a severe telling off a couple of years ago from one of the lady members in the DA. Out on a ride on my then new bike with just standard mudguards, no extra flap'. "I hope your'e going to put a rain-flap on that" she said. And then carried on with a detailed explanation of rain,spray etc (as if I didn't know!).

A pity it didn't actually rain that day.

And I never did put an extra flap on that bike.


Having followed the links to find out the sp on welfare officers, I offer the above as an example of just the sort of serious situation which has gone unchecked in the past. It just amazes me that the CTC has managed to limp from the 19C to the 21C without spotting this lacuna. :roll: And it seems there are still some parts of the CTC where the deficiency has not been remedied. :shock: :shock:



I have looked at the "guidelines for Welfare Officer" too. It seems that this role is another form filling exercise. I had hoped for more in the way of guidelines than another form to complete.

Karen Sutton
Posts: 608
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:18pm
Location: Greater Manchester

Postby Karen Sutton » 5 Jun 2008, 2:43pm

Jimmy The Hand wrote:
Karen Sutton wrote: ...... It might have been a good idea for National Office/CTC Councillors to send this information to Member Group Secretaries, rather than just hiding it away on the website.


At least one Councllor has done so! but then with so many Councillors not coming from a MG background is it any wonder that most don't


Karen Sutton wrote: We really do need more recognition of the importance of Groups.


The only way we'll get that is if we have more Councilors from a MG background!!

I was a Councillor until last March. My main focus was on Member Groups and I led the Local Group working party to develop resources for the Groups. Unfortunately my husband was diagnosed with a terminal illness in March 2007 so I had to resign from Council.

BTW Have you checked that the staff member is not on annual leave??


Yes, I checked. I always do check with another member of staff before leaving a message as if the staff member I have contacted is away I might need to contact someone else about the matter rather than wait several weeks. I was told last Friday that they were in the office that day, so I left a message. I have received a reply today though, so it has now been dealt with.

Bikebits
Posts: 13
Joined: 15 Mar 2007, 4:44pm

More Groups

Postby Bikebits » 18 Sep 2008, 3:00pm

I've really enjoyed reading these posts. There seems need for some clarifications as a measure of different interpretation seem available.

But everyone does recognise that the DA structure was not acheiving the spread and comprehensiveness that most people acknowledge is desired. Yes there are new members joining DAs and Sections but new sections and rides were not as numerous as really required. There are geographical, demographic, and cultural black-holes within CTC, most will 'contain' existing members who either cannot or have found it inapropriate to ride with DAs. There has to be potential for a MG of some sort, on average, for every 25,000 population! Every community should have some type of CTC group or groups. But there has to be a measure of accountability, as well as the responsibilities and benifits of doing things within CTC being real and clear. Starting a group has to be made as easy as it can be, with advice and materials available whilst fulfilling certain essential requirements. Some of the people who are going to initiate new CTC Member Groups may presently not be members or aware of CTC, some may not presently be regular cyclist.

I've asked myself many times if I were a cyclist in my twenties looking for a life-partner who shares my cycling interest, would I participate in CTC (assuming there was an active local DA) as a means of improving my oportunities/chances? Other circumstances need similar analysis, if I were a young mother etc.? Somehow CTC has to develop in different ways to meet more peoples needs.

I have been at events in discussions with parents who want an organisation within which their son/daughter can go and ride; what have we got to offer? More often that not there's little or no activity where they live!

I will now slog my way through "Policy Handbook for CTC Member Groups and Organisaing Committees again, in readyness for the DA/MG AGM! Page 1................zzzzzzz!

User avatar
Simon L6
Posts: 1382
Joined: 4 Jan 2007, 12:43pm

Postby Simon L6 » 18 Sep 2008, 8:42pm

the welfare brief may be about to make a difference. Ask yourself this....

put the case that a member with a disability goes out on DA runs....

put the case that the member informs the rides leader that he is disabled....

put the case that the National Office takes the view that the member should not be allowed to ride without a medical certificate, a certificate that is unlikely to materialise....

put the case that the DA has to consider this matter. Doesn't the agenda item titled 'Welfare' provide precisely the locus for sensible and informed consideration?

put the case that the DA committee would be sensible to consider the advice of the Rides Leader (who now has a formal role) in determining whether or not this member should be allowed to continue?

I make no admission - but I ask you to consider the proposition that a DA run is a real, material thing, and that the experience of the Rides Leader, who enjoys the benefit of direct and ongoing observation, is more likely to lead to an objective assessment of the Club's ability to extend an invitation to this member to join them than an abstract requirement for a medical license....