Recumbent Trikers

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
byegad

Recumbent Trikers

Post by byegad »

If you ride a recumbent trike and belong to CTC ? Does your DA offer you all you want?
Many recumbent trike riders take part in one day or longer rides organised locally by themselves and their friends in their home area or touring away from 'home'.
I feel that forming our own Member's Group would be a way of helping us all. I suspect that this group would need to be national in scope as we are small in number in any one DA area.
Such a group should be able to co-ordinate and advertise rides and also, where necessary, represent our minority interests. We would benefit from CTC's excellent back up in representing (tri)cyclists interests, perhaps on the law on pedal reflectors, particularly nonsensical for us, or on limited access to 'cycle facilities'. Our interest may well largely overlap the wider membership's but there are differences. Also, in the unlikely event of an accident during a ride, organisers would benefit from Ride Leader's cover from CTC's insurers.

To start a Group we need ten CTC members to sign a pro-forma to start the ball rolling. If sufficient people indicate an interest an inaugural meeting could take place at York Rally. Two months notice to CTC are required. While I am happy to facilitate this initial move I would be happy to see someone else take the reins if they are interested.

So I can assess support could you pm me or indicate on this forum your interest? I'll make available a Pro Forma to send in to CTC if the interest is sufficient.
Woody

Post by Woody »

As I said on V.V.'s forum, an excellent idea and I'd love to join.
Fonant

Post by Fonant »

I'd be interested, but won't be able to make it to York. I do find the trike a bit like a tandem with normal CTC rides, your speed is always slightly different to the main bunch! Not that I've been out much with the local CTC in the last few years :(
Anthony Cartmell (also known as "admin" when posting in a more official capacity on this Forum)
Kangaroo trike, Windcheetah recumbent, Batavus dutch bike, Dawes Galaxy Twin tandem, Pashley unicycle
http://www.fonant.com – Quality web sites.
jojoxie

Post by jojoxie »

Good idea, yes I am interested.
byegad

Post by byegad »

Fonant wrote:...edit.... I do find the trike a bit like a tandem with normal CTC rides, your speed is always slightly different to the main bunch! ...edit... :(

Yes, in fact a DF CTC type said almost exactly that to me after the Tan Hill to Northallerton Sustrans Clebration Ride. His exact words were, 'It's like riding with a Tandem only worse.' I think he meant it kindly.
Fonant

Post by Fonant »

The "like a tandem" bit is the variation in speed, especially the fast downhills, and the "only worse" is because you can't slipstream a recumbent like you can a tandem :)
Anthony Cartmell (also known as "admin" when posting in a more official capacity on this Forum)
Kangaroo trike, Windcheetah recumbent, Batavus dutch bike, Dawes Galaxy Twin tandem, Pashley unicycle
http://www.fonant.com – Quality web sites.
Biscuit

Post by Biscuit »

I'd be interested too, I wont be at York but am still interested.
blaugrana

Post by blaugrana »

Hi,

I'd also be interested, as a recumbent bike newbie. Maybe a trike one day ...

Jeff
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

Count me in as always.....
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

I'm up for it, but I also doubt I'll make it to York due to train fares.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
byegad

Post by byegad »

The CTC view seems to be that such a group needs to have a number of 'Officers' including a Treasurer!
I had thought of it as a much looser thing with a Co-ordinator using the CTC forum to 'organise rides' around the country, in effect the locals would decide to ride together and whoever organised the route would be covered for liability so long as they'd done the necessary paperwork.
For example I'd advertise a ride based on Darlington (12 miles from me). It would be a route I knew so the Safety Assessment might be:- 'Take care joining the A167 and be prepared to stop and allow traffic to clear before turning right off it in 3.5 miles.' ETC. This is obviously too free and easy for the CTC to insurer. No need for funds so surely no need for a Treasurer!

The CTC does not seem to want to allow this!

I'm a member of BHPC who have just affiliated to CTC. So I guess their rides will be the ones I go on or indeed lead!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

byegad

If the pressure is getting to you, report to your member group's welfare officer. Or is that you as well? :wink:
byegad

Post by byegad »

As Chairman, Treasurer, Welfare Officer, Secretary and Goffer I'm never alone with schizophrenia!
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

Byegad - if you think that the guidelines for member groups are too onerous, and that you would prefer to have a simpler set-up, then write it down in as few words as possible, send it to Alex Geen and copy it to me.

The Friday Night Ride to the Coast took 35 riders from Hyde Park Corner to Southend in the wee hours of this morning and not a risk assessment in sight. A good deal of research, and communication, yes, but ticking boxes no. And, if you find a DA welfare officer in existence would you please let me know.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

byegad

I am sure Simon is right. If you don't raise this sort of thing nobody will know. After all, the whole of your membership normally seems very laid back :wink: