Work charity cycle

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
rossgalway

Work charity cycle

Post by rossgalway »

Hi, I have been asked to organise a charity cycle for my work colleagues. Can I create a workplace cycling group and affiliate my workplace to the ctc for £75? I assume this will give organisers insurance for the event but what about my colleagues that are cycling that don't have insurance? Are they covered or do they have to join the ctc? Is there an option for a day licence? Thanks. Ross
gaz

Re: Work charity cycle

Post by gaz »

Welcome to the forum.
rossgalway wrote:Can I create a workplace cycling group and affiliate my workplace to the ctc for £75?

Yes, regardless of whether or not you wish to organise a works' charity ride.
rossgalway wrote:I assume this will give organisers insurance for the event but what about my colleagues that are cycling that don't have insurance?

Assume nothing. Read the policy documents, FAQs and if in doubt speak to the insurers. There are various clauses about registering the group's officials and in some cases the event to validate cover.
rossgalway wrote:Are they covered or do they have to join the ctc?

The Organisers' Liability Cover does not give individual participants any form of insurance cover. Individuals may already have Personal Liability Cover through home insurance or other sources. Members of Affiliated Groups can take out Affiliated Membership of Cycling UK at special rates, Affiliated Members have the same Public Liability Cover as Full Members but the Legal Cover differs.
rossgalway wrote:Is there an option for a day licence?

FAQs about the Affiliated Group Organiser's Liability Cover are linked from here.

8. I’m a member of Cycling UK but have never organised an event or led a ride. I’ve been asked by a friend to organise a charity event on behalf of a local church. How can I get insurance?

Answer: Organisers’ Liability cover may be available subject to a completed proposal form. Contact Cycling UK insurance brokers, Butterworths for advice on 0151 494 4400

Please note that gaz is not FCA regulated and cannot assess individual needs for insurance. You will not receive advice or recommendations from gaz about them. Please direct your queries to your chosen insurance provider, who may be either vaguely reassuring or reassuringly vague in their response (wonderful phrase, my thanks to mjr for providing it on another thread). Hand wash only. Do not iron. Your home may be at risk if you leave the gas on whilst on a Works Charity Ride. Posted on a forum that contains track nuts and cannot be guaranteed track nut free.
Vorpal

Re: Work charity cycle

Post by Vorpal »

gaz wrote:
Please note that gaz is not FCA regulated and cannot assess individual needs for insurance. You will not receive advice or recommendations from gaz about them. Please direct your queries to your chosen insurance provider, who may be either vaguely reassuring or reassuringly vague in their response (wonderful phrase, my thanks to mjr for providing it on another thread). Hand wash only. Do not iron. Your home may be at risk if you leave the gas on whilst on a Works Charity Ride. Posted on a forum that contains track nuts and cannot be guaranteed track nut free.

:lol: :lol:
rossgalway wrote:Hi, I have been asked to organise a charity cycle for my work colleagues. Can I create a workplace cycling group and affiliate my workplace to the ctc for £75? I assume this will give organisers insurance for the event but what about my colleagues that are cycling that don't have insurance? Are they covered or do they have to join the ctc? Is there an option for a day licence? Thanks. Ross

I would start with your employer. They may already carry insurance that will cover events organised on behalf of the company. I used to help organsie a work-based club that went on various charity rides. Although we never created our own events, we did investigate it once, and I was assured that the company insurance would cover it as long as all of the particpants were employees. However, my company had an on-site gym, golf club, and football team, so there were already some activities insured. If your company doesn't have anything like that they may be less likely to have existing insurance.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom