Any groups neat Newport/Shifnal Shropshire

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
MIB2020

Any groups neat Newport/Shifnal Shropshire

Post by MIB2020 »

Hi looking for Gravel/off road trails and people to ride with. Contacted my local “road riders” club a couple of months ago but no response at all.
Happy to ride 20 to 60 miles depending on surface etc.
Gravel riding seems to be getting very popular but struggling to find anything locally, my riding buddy just wants mtb trail park type rides and that’s not for me.
Last edited by MIB2020 on 13 Dec 2020, 4:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
Si

Re: Any groups neat Newport/Shifnal Shropshire

Post by Si »

Can't help with clubs , but for gravel bike type routes: if you grab an OS map and have a look just to the south east of shifnal you'll see that a nice 30m ish BW and country lane loop can be put together around pattingham. Plus you've got the Mercian way in the Severn valley, south from jackfield. And I'm sure that you'll have done the Stafford Greenway from Newport.
MIB2020

Post by MIB2020 »

Thanks for that, yes familiar with the area and some good routes to be found on ukgravelbike.com website.
It’s more of an interest in joining a club or getting a few people together for rides etc. It’s hard to believe I see so many road only riders out there , they don’t know what there missing.
My only cycling buddy only wants stuff like Cannock Chase and I go to keep fit but proving how fast you can go down a muddy trail or how high you can jump is great when your 21 not 55 !
Si

Post by Si »

If you are on Facebook there is a group called The Bicycle Adventure Club, run by Sarah Round. A couple of members live nd ride in that area and may be happy to hook up.

I used to live there but have now been incarcerated in Brum. :-(
MIB2020

Post by MIB2020 »

Thanks, I am not but the wife is :D
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Is there a "Rough Stuff Fellowship" section nearby ?
https://www.rsf.org.uk
You'll never know if you don't try it.
MIB2020

Post by MIB2020 »

Thanks for the tip, nothing local but Welsh borders isn’t too far, will have a look .