cycling groups in southampton

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
eddie

cycling groups in southampton

Post by eddie »

Hi all I know that there is a CTC section in southampton, but does anyone know of any other small cycling groups in the area? I live in somerset at this time, and although there is not a CTC section close I have found a few groups and clubs in my area. Just wonderd if the same may apply there. Thanks for any info. eddie
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

There are some (eg Sotonia) but unfortunately I do not have any contact with them.

I'm curious though why you're asking, you being in Somerset and not Southampton. The other question is, are you avoiding the CTC here or have I got the wrong end of the stick? :wink:
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
eddie

Post by eddie »

There are some (eg Sotonia) but unfortunately I do not have any contact with them.

I'm curious though why you're asking, you being in Somerset and not Southampton. The other question is, are you avoiding the CTC here or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Hi Wildduck slightly maybe, the CTC is bristol,nearest as far as I know, and Im in taunton just a bit far away yes ? Im from southampton orignally and may be moving back there soon. I was working too long hours when I was there to have much contact with soton CTC. It was a perfecty reasonable point to make, thank you for your reply eddie
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

Sorry, didn't mean to cause offence, just curious really! I didn't think your question was unreasonable, just as I said, curious.

Would you be interested in rides with the CTC here? If so, I could perhaps help with information from that point of view.
eddie

wildduck

Post by eddie »

Hi Wildduck No offence taken and yes maybe the CTC in soton would be a good idea, like I said I lived there most of my life but what with work an famile I never seemd to have to have the free time to get to the club evenings. Now retired and free whee :D maybe if you can cater for an oldie. I just wonderd if there might be any small groups there like the one Im with down here, we have a coffe morning wensday sort out routes etc and ride on thursdays. PS love the names of your bikes :D eddie
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

There is this group. I have met a few and they seem a friendly crowd.
http://www.southamptoncyclingcampaign.org.uk/

There is a list of local clubs here, and while most are racing clubs several run adhoc gentler rides. i am sure if you contact some of them they will point you in the right direction
http://www.southdc.org.uk/clubs.htm

HTH
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

There are a couple of 'lunch brigades' for want of a better description that meet on a Wednesdays and Thursdays. The usual format is meet at the pub for lunch but inevitably (?spelling) small groups form for the ride out and back. Not too familiar with them but I'll try and find out some more information.

The South Hants section here run a Hares and Tortoises ride once a month (first Saturday). Speed quoted as 8-10mph, approx 30-35 miles with waiting at the tops of hills for the slower riders. Usually a pub lunch. Starts in Romsey (usually!) at 10 am. Quite a fan of these myself as I can potter, or on a good day, race ahead a little (particularly on the downhills on the recumbent) and I don't get moaned at (usually cos they overtake me on the uphills!). During the more clement months, there's a tea ride starting at 2 pm on the third Saturday of the month, same speed but approx 15-20 miles.

Something to wet your appetite I hope...
eddie

wildduck & keepontriking

Post by eddie »

To Wildduck thanks they sound just the job sorry for delay in getting back to you, and to Keepontriking thanks also two usefull links much obliged
eddie