Forum for LGBT Members

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
barry

Post by barry »

I have found a lot of your comments very interesting, and I fully support everyone having the right to say whatever. I do not understand however the ammount of time spent on dicussing where this topic should be. Lets move on. I wanted to hear the views oof all members regarding how LGBT members felt about the welcome they got from CTC and if we could do anything to help make all members think about enjoying local groups rides and events etc.
I do not spend all my time on this subject, today I am visiting our cycling champions project in Hampshire where our officer Clive Andrews runs a cycling group for disabled riders a great project.
workhard

Post by workhard »

mhara wrote:Actually, I gather that off-road is quite appealing to lesbians, but I've found this out too late in life to go flinging me+bike down mountainsides to see for myself. :lol:

My middle sister's experience would seem to bear this out.

PS It is NEVER to late to fling yourself down a mountain on a bike.
Jimmy The Hand

Post by Jimmy The Hand »

workhard wrote:PS It is NEVER to late to fling yourself down a mountain on a bike.

Getting down isn't a problem, it's getting up the *&^%$£ mountain with the bilke that's the problem
workhard

Post by workhard »

Jimmy The Hand wrote:
workhard wrote:PS It is NEVER to late to fling yourself down a mountain on a bike.

Getting down isn't a problem, it's getting up the *&^%$£ mountain with the bilke that's the problem

You're not wrong but then getting there is more than half the fun. The harder the climb the more I enjoy the downhill bits, and trust me I am really really rubbish at climbing!
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

I just don't see how anyones sexual orientation can come out in any conversation whilst out on a club run.
I have never engaged in any chatter with anyone else about this in over 40 odd years of cycling.
Jimmy The Hand

Post by Jimmy The Hand »

ianr1950 wrote:I just don't see how anyones sexual orientation can come out in any conversation whilst out on a club run.
I have never engaged in any chatter with anyone else about this in over 40 odd years of cycling.

Probably because people were scared of being arrested! It's only in the last few years that we've been able to be open about our sexuality and not run the risk of being imprisoned.

I recently had a conversaton with some of our DA members centred around having to call out the Police because of people banging on our window and door shouting homophobic abuse. I have also had a conversation with other DA members about where my partner and I spent the week after our Civil Ceremony - as we cycled past the house on a club run.

However you are correct it is something that probably wouldn't come up on a club run, unless of course one of your club members is one of us
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

ianr1950 wrote:I just don't see how anyones sexual orientation can come out in any conversation whilst out on a club run.

Crikey! the FNRttC barely talks about anything else. That and pointless speculation about George Clooney's hairdresser.

In all seriousness, Barry's original post sought to sound out interest. That really was it. If the interest is there, then it will happen.
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

i think someone should start a poll......does everyone want a section LGBT?
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

Jimmy The Hand wrote:

Probably because people were scared of being arrested! It's only in the last few years that we've been able to be open about our sexuality and not run the risk of being imprisoned.

I recently had a conversaton with some of our DA members centred around having to call out the Police because of people banging on our window and door shouting homophobic abuse. I have also had a conversation with other DA members about where my partner and I spent the week after our Civil Ceremony - as we cycled past the house on a club run.

However you are correct it is something that probably wouldn't come up on a club run, unless of course one of your club members is one of us

But why would one of you as you put it have to bring the subject up if nobody else does, I can't see the reason why it even needs to be brought up. If the group have been riding together for a long time and nothing offensive has ever been said I don't see the reason for it to be mentioned.
Kirst

Post by Kirst »

I don't think it's up to straight people to tell LGBT people they don't need a separate section, any more than it's up to men to tell women or white people to tell black people they don't need separate sections. If the individuals/groups in question feel it would be helpful or useful or valuable, that's up to them. LGBT people who don't feel it would be useful don't have to participate. It would be lovely if everyone was always lovely to everyone else and nobody ever felt victimised, oppressed or discriminated against, but the world isn't there yet.
I can handle bars and cycle paths but I can't handle cars and psychopaths

http://action.hopenothate.org.uk/page/s/notinmyname
workhard

Post by workhard »

Does no one ever have a conversations on rides that run along the lines of

Me "So have you done any MTB'ing in the French Alps?"
Woman "My partner and I went to Les Gets last year"
Me "Did you like it?"
Woman "I thought it was great but she felt the world cup trail was too knarly, and she didn't like the restaurants in the village""
Me "Well I suppose that trail, if you're not used to it, then it could be quite scary"
Woman "Yes but Jane isn't normally put off by that...."

from which you determine said woman's partner is another woman and she is entirely comfortable with you knowing this because same sex partnerships are not (meant to be) a big deal any more unless one happens to be some sort of rap artist, a religious fundamentalist or similar.
mr_hippo

Post by mr_hippo »

Jimmy The Hand wrote:Probably because people were scared of being arrested! It's only in the last few years that we've been able to be open about our sexuality and not run the risk of being imprisoned.

Please define 'the last few years'. Can you tell me how many homosexuals have been imprisoned for their sexuality since the Sexual Offences Act of 1967. That was 41 years ago and you will find the 41 is more than 'a few'!
We have already established that sexuality has no bearing on cycling proficiency so. I will ask again, why do you need your own section on a general cycling forum? You wanted equality and you got it, yes, there will always be people who snigger, mock and pass remarks - so what? Say something - you may not be able to change how they feel but that's life. Learn to live with it as I have done with my impediment and there is no law to protect me!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

lauriematt wrote:i think someone should start a poll......does everyone want a section LGBT?

Does anyone think it'll get used? Why not a straight section?
As a biking forum what possible conversations can exist that are sexual orientation specific?

The only reason we have gender specific conversations is mainly to do with the physical requirements.

The only other bit I've seen is in the t-shop were we have had male/female 'pinup' discussions - but they're open to anyone. Certainly I don't give a monkeys if some of the posters on the Felicity Kendall thread were female, or male in the case of the 'Ok Ok' thread (for example).

If for some reason a gay person wanted to organise a 'gay only' outing (pardon the pun) then why would anyone have any problems posting it in the relevant section - I know I wouldn't. (Although I'd probably wonder why they thought they needed a seperate run).

Just my thoughts.
mhara

Post by mhara »

ianr1950 wrote:
Jimmy The Hand wrote:

But why would one of you as you put it have to bring the subject up if nobody else does, I can't see the reason why it even needs to be brought up. If the group have been riding together for a long time and nothing offensive has ever been said I don't see the reason for it to be mentioned.

I was 25 before medical experts decided lesbians should not be put in mental institutions.
It took years of campaining and lobbying and Pride Marches to get to be seen as normal human beings by most people.

Then Thatcher's vile Section 28 tried to shove us back into the closet and slam the door. Called our Families 'pretend families'.

I know that many posters on this Forum enjoy criticisng the Government, but under Labour we have finally achieved the legal rights we need to protect us as we try to lead ordinary everyday lives just being ourselves.

Listen to workhard's excellent explanation of how we just want to be able to chat on bike rides (and everywhere) as ordinarily as you do all the time. Do you really mean what you're saying?
Jimmy The Hand

Post by Jimmy The Hand »

ianr1950 wrote:But why would one of you as you put it have to bring the subject up if nobody else does,I can't see the reason why it even needs to be brought up.

Your are right it doesn't need to be brought up, and neither I nor any of my friends would per se, but I have given one example in an earlier post and Wild Duck gives another on how the subject may be brought up and in some cases that is the end of it, but in others a distinct chill arrives and you find yourself riding alone :cry:

ianr1950 wrote:If the group have been riding together for a long time and nothing offensive has ever been said I don't see the reason for it to be mentioned

If the group has been riding together for a long time then you probably know everything there is to know about the members so it wouldn't be mentioned (don't ask don't tell) However if a new member joins and they get the third degree :D then it will come out