The CTC and its DAs/MGs - changes?

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
JT

Re: The CTC and its DAs/MGs - changes?

Post by JT »

Karen Sutton wrote:I recall a reasonably recent (within the last 5 years) CTC Member survey in which 24% of the members said that Member Groups were one of their reasons for joining.

That's why my wife and I joined. We've been sorely disappointed ever since.

I think it's only my first-hand experience of how good some groups can be (West Kent and South West London spring to mind) that has stopped me from abandoning the CTC.
George Riches

Post by George Riches »

There's a danger in generalising from the experience of one or two member groups to all.

The member group I'm active in, CTC-Coventry has an average attendance of 12 on Sunday rides and 7 on mid week rides. That, together with a programme of a dozen slide shows every year, about sums up our activities. I haven't got the number of CTC members in our catchment area to hand, but if you assume 1 CTC member for every 1000 inhabitants, we should have more than 300.

We are thinking of closing down the DA, as it consists of only 2 member groups and there is nothing it does which couldn't be done by one or other of its member groups (or even ad-hoc groups of members).

Perhaps the national office should investigate what proportion of CTC members have what sort of attendance at what sort of CTC activity.

BTW. I think the national webspace has significant potential for helping local groups to build themselves, as I mentioned in an earlier post.
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

George Riches wrote:There's a danger in generalising from the experience of one or two member groups to all.

The member group I'm active in, CTC-Coventry has an average attendance of 12 on Sunday rides and 7 on mid week rides. That, together with a programme of a dozen slide shows every year, about sums up our activities. I haven't got the number of CTC members in our catchment area to hand, but if you assume 1 CTC member for every 1000 inhabitants, we should have more than 300.

We are thinking of closing down the DA, as it consists of only 2 member groups and there is nothing it does which couldn't be done by one or other of its member groups (or even ad-hoc groups of members).

Perhaps the national office should investigate what proportion of CTC members have what sort of attendance at what sort of CTC activity.

BTW. I think the national webspace has significant potential for helping local groups to build themselves, as I mentioned in an earlier post.
that's a shame, George.

I couldn't agree more with you on the last point, though.
JT

Post by JT »

George Riches wrote:There's a danger in generalising from the experience of one or two member groups to all.

If your figures are anywhere near correct that's a lot of riders you're missing.

Either they are unaware of your group or they don't want to go on all day rides at the weekend (I looked at your website). I've PM'd you about the latter but if they don't know about the group, then give your registration officer a kick up the buttock :lol:

Personally, I'd like to see National Office formally introducing new members to the local group they've been automatically assigned to, either by letter or email. Relying on the voluntary efforts of a registration officer is dangerous if you're serious about your membership.
Si

Post by Si »

or they don't want to go on all day rides at the weekend

Yes, that was what I thought. We average something like 7 - 10 for the all day Sunday, ditto the weekday rides. But for the Saturday morning (home in time for lunch) we can get 30+ out. Busy modern lifestyles and all that.