CTC London

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
CTC London

CTC London

Postby CTC London » 7 Nov 2011, 6:14pm

A belated attempt to promote CTC London via the modern means of communication

Much more to follow; please use this site to tell us about:

What do you want from the CTC in term of cycling conditions in Greater London ?

Is the CTC missing something in Greater London?

Types of cycle rides

See you soon

Philip Benstead
Secretary
CTC London

Cyclists’ Touring Club - UK national cycling organisation regional voice.

CTC London

AIM:

Enabling all whose who wish to use a cycle for:

• Utility
• Transport
• Leisure

To be able to do so without hindrance.

BY:

• Provision Information
• Assisting in Campaigning
• Promotion of service
• Networking with stakeholders

WHO FOR:

• CTC Right to Ride Representative
• CTC Local Group Secretary
• CTC Local Group Officers
• CTC Affiliated Clubs
• Friend of Cycling in London
Philip Benstead
Secretary
CTC London – Working to promote the use of the cycle as a means of utility, transport or leisure for ALL.
Email to ctclondon@yahoogroups.co.uk
CTC London Twitter: @CTCLondon)

CTC London

CTC London - Cycling answers from London Mayor - November up

Postby CTC London » 8 Nov 2011, 9:17am

Last edited by CTC London on 17 Nov 2011, 9:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip Benstead
Secretary
CTC London – Working to promote the use of the cycle as a means of utility, transport or leisure for ALL.

CTC London

Questions Time - What do our new leaders think about cycling

Postby CTC London » 15 Nov 2011, 11:26am

NEW CTC Councillors Questions

Cyclists’ Touring Club - CTC London
CTC Councillors Questions

So that we can get to know you better and your views (if any) on issues that may be of interest to members and that effect the CTC I as promised list below some questions.

As the representatives of CTC members in the Greater London Authority area on the CTC Council acting as Directors/Trustees from 1st January 2012 to 31st December 2012 welcome and best wishes from CTC members and CTC London.

Quote from: Roger Crosskey, CTC Councillor for London
Legally I believe, Councillors are not the representatives of any constituency within CTC; they have a fiduciary responsibility as Directors to manage the organisation and to that extent can not be mandated by any membership/

Nevertheless, the structure of CTC Council is intended to maximise the opportunity for members' views to be represened and given weight in discussions and I recognise that as an important function for the Council.

Quote from Philip Benstead, this text is to illustrate the role/responabiites of a CTC Councillor.
From the CTC COUNCILLORS HANDBOOK: The role of councillors
Key passage:
Working for the CTC in a voluntary capacity as a Councillor can be immensely rewarding when the Councillor is able to carry through, by working with others, results that are clearly good for the CTC, good for cycling and good for the well being of the nation.

CTC is the national cyclists’ organisation. It is an organisation of substance and stature with a multi-million pound turnover, supporting thousands of volunteers with a professional staff. The CTC’s administration, policy and performance is guided and monitored by Councillors elected to represent all of CTC’s members and trusted with playing a critical leadership role for the future of cycling.

In addition, this may be of interest if we become a charity: http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/pub ... cc3.aspx#e

CTC COUNCILLOR QUESTIONS: What follows are the questions that were put to the new CTC Councillors for Greater London Authority area.

What is your cycling background, how long have you been cycling and what type of cycling have you done and do?

From the CTC COUNCILLORS HANDBOOK: The role of councillors
Key passage:
Working for the CTC in a voluntary capacity as a Councillor can be immensely rewarding when the Councillor is able to carry through, by working with others, results that are clearly good for the CTC, good for cycling and good for the well being of the nation.

CTC is the national cyclists’ organisation. It is an organisation of substance and stature with a multi-million pound turnover, supporting thousands of volunteers with a professional staff. The CTC’s administration, policy and performance is guided and monitored by Councillors elected to represent all of CTC’s members and trusted with playing a critical leadership role for the future of cycling.

In addition, this may be of interest if we become a charity :http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/publications/cc3.aspx#e

I have been cycling in London since 1 April 1964 when the GLC was created and included my home (before that I was a cyclist in Kent). I am an urban utility cyclist (cycling for shopping, commuting and leisure and social trips), also cycle in the city for enjoyment and exercise. I am also an active touring cyclist, now entirely within the UK and Ireland, going for long weekends and for longer holidays, using trains to get to my touring area. I now very rarely make any journey without a bicycle.

In 2007 I was nominated by London Cycling Campaign to join a TfL consultation group about the impact for people with disabilities of shared urban greenways; this group met for about six months.

My current job involves promoting cycling for people with disabilities. I have also worked in the past for 18 months with a cycle training provider in London.

Quote from: Colin Brown, CTC Councillor for London
I have been cycling all my life. I am a regular commuter cyclist (18 miles per day minimum) and my day job takes me all over London so I regularly explore much of the capital my bike. I don't get out with CTC groups as much as I would like as I have a young family (4 year old and 2 year old). Family touring is important and we managed to take the bike trailer to Whitstable and Devon this summer.

What contact have you had with local cycling groups e.g. Cyclists' Touring Club /London Cycling Campaign or other groups?
For reasons associated with my disability, I very rarely cycle with groups, but do most of my cycling alone. I have done voluntary work for CTC (in the Campaigns Department at Guildford), London Cycling Campaign (in the office and as a ride marshal on Skyride events) and for Sustrans (helping to establish a new NCN route along the Paddington Canal and across Horsenden Hill). I have made some presentations to local groups abotu cycling for people with disabilities.

I have good relations with British Cycling and Sustrans at a senior level. I try to attend to Southwark Cyclists meeting when I am available.

What are your views on the CTC being turn into a charity, and how the CTC handled the consultation process including provision of information the case for and against?

I have had more involvement with governance changes in the Youth Hostels Association than in CTC and I do know that these can be very difficult to manage because they are complex and wrapped in legal language. Many people feel threatened that the new structure will exclude them from any input in future. The purpose of a good governance document is to make it easy for the organisation to achieve its objects efficiently and effectively, to keep within the law and to ensure that there is a sustainable renewal of trustees or directors over time. My experience is that the more straightforward and transparent the governance structure is, the easier it is likely to be to meet these criteria, but the effectiveness of a governance structure must be judged on functional criteria, not an an a priori assumption that one structure or another is more suitable. As for the proces within CTC, I would say that change management is always difficult and could ususally have been done better in hindsight than was achieved in practice at the time. In my view CTC avoided errors that caught out YHA and achieved its result in considerably less time. The issue now is to prove hiow the governance structure works in practice.

I have very limited experience in the above point. I work and have worked for membership organisations who also have considerable business interests so I am aware of the tension between constitution, structure and contractual commitments. I would concur with Roger - the key is finding a structure that can take cycling forward to the benefit of those involved.

What experience do you have in:
• policy formulation?

I have been involved in policy formulation as a trustee or director and as senior or more junior staff in many jobs over many years.

I am trustee of another national charity and chair of a smaller charity. I am a company director of two other companies.

• setting budgets?
I have in various jobs been required to set budgets, track expenditure against budget and manage cash flow, either monthly or annually. Where I had budgetary control, I was usually successful in bringing the final result below the initial budget forecast.
See above - I oversee budgets as part of the above roles and manage a budget for my own organisation
• scrutinizing budgets?
I can read and understand financial documents and see the implications of what is implicit within them. I can create my own spreadsheets for 'what-if'' modelling.
See above
• resource allocation etc?
Policy and budget setting is all about resource allocation.
See above.
Do you understand management accounts?

My first degree included study of farm management and I also did a post-graduate diploma in finance studies which covered management accounts. The most important difference betwen management and financial accounts is that management accounts sacrifice accuracy in detail in order to present a broad picture while there is still time to make any necessary changes based upon the patterns appearing.

Yes!

What are your views on compulsory helmet use?
I support the CTC policy that there should be no compulison and individuals should be able to make an informed choice (because I think that is the right policy, not because it is the CTC policy). I worry that many cyclists do not realise the relatively low impact speeds at which helmets are effective and to that extent they are not making a properly informed choice.

I support the CTC policy. However, I do ride with a helmet and encourages others to do so. I don't believe simply wearing a helmet makes people ride more agreessively than not - I think life's a little bit more complicated than that!

Should the CTC move away from the involvement of the local group/volunteers on the running /setting the agenda in the CTC and too become more professional or the local group/volunteers too valuable to looses , and they should be encourage and developed to maximise their potential ?

I am not sure that I fully understand the intention of the question. It would be very rash and irresponsible for CTC to discard the large amount of voluntary effort and expertise of its members. It would be impossible to replace with professional staff, on cost grounds; nor would professional staff carry the same credibility as a national network of voluntary members. I have watched YHA trying to hand everything over to professional staff and now rowing back to re-emphasise the importance of volunteers. I don't expect CTC will make the same mistake.

I think the question is how can we grow cycling! We grow cycling by inspiring people to get involved. People will get involved at all different levels - some will just cycle to work, others will cycle as a group, others will lead rides, others will work on transport infrastructure, some will train others.... We need to have a culture that includes and involves and maximises the experience that people are prepared to give.

Any other thoughts on the CTC and cycling in London?
• The cycle hire scheme and the cycle superhighways, while not perfect have been important channels for increasing cycling in London, although the increase might have happened anyway.
• The lesson of the last few years seems to be that hard engineering of segregated routes and other cycle facilities has only a limited value in promoting cycling and quite a low cost/benefit ratio.
• The greater numbers of women and older people cycling, and more impact in minority communities, are important elements in increasing cycling in the capital. This is reflected in and draws strength from more emphasis on fashionable and everyday clothing for cyclists (including tongue-in-cheek things like Tweed runs). Cycling with be mainstream when cyclists don't all lok like streetmenders.
There is a notable increase at present in London in cycling for carrying children and for the school run. this needs to be encouraged as an important next step in cycle development

I concur with Rogers points. I also think we need to find a way of all the cycling organisations in London - CTC, Sustrans, British Cycling, LCC etc... working together across a range of topics. I know this happens on a case by case basis but I would like to see or be aware of more structure.

CANDIDATES' STATEMENTS

CANDIDATE’S STATEMENT:
I have been an active commuting and touring cyclist for over 45 years, since spending a very wet week one Easter as a teenager on a CTC holiday. As well as being a CTC member and a Right to Ride campaigner, I am a member and volunteer for the London Cycling Campaign and I have worked in the past as a volunteer Ranger for Sustrans, helping to develop a new route through north-west London partly along the Grand Union Canal. This involved meetings with British Waterways, Park Royal Partnership and local Council Cycling Officers as well as practical work on the route and investigating the best alignment once the route left the canal. Since 2007 I have been getting great pleasure and satisfaction from the British Cycle Quest.

My training includes a B.Sc., a CNAA Diploma in Finance Studies (with a management accounting option) and a part-time course at LSE covering charitable governance. I have done other in service training on financial, IT, staff management and project management subjects over the years.

I have worked since 1975 as a manager or administrator in small charities in inner London, in several different areas of work: employment training, support for victims of crime, conflict resolution and disability services. In some of these jobs I had to develop new services, managing a small team of staff to do so. At present I work for Wheels for Wellbeing a charity in south London which runs cycling sessions for people with disabilities in Croydon and Lambeth and is developing a national information service on all aspects of cycling for people with disabilities. I will be taking the lead on developing a new database for this during autumn 2011, which will not be linked to any organisation so that it could be passed seamlessly to different agencies to manage depending on resources.

My voluntary work has included five years as Chair of Paddington CAB and similar periods in officer roles on the committees of a local community centre in Maida Vale, an arts centre in Whitechapel and the Paddington Farm Trust, which operates a bunkhouse and family holiday centre in Glastonbury, run by volunteers from London. I have spent twelve years working as a volunteer with the YHA, inspecting standards in hostels and commenting on policy. I am also on the committee of the Inclusive Cycling Forum, a CTC section for promoting cycling for people with disabilities.

The present is a very interesting time for UK cycling. After years of being largely ignored it is now being officially encouraged but also raises antagonism because of cyclists’ perceived bad behaviour. A resurgence of cycling is growing on the back of commuting in London and other towns and cities and leisure/sport activities such as mountain-biking. CTC has an important role in encouraging positive developments and continuing to challenge misunderstandings and potential safety threats to cyclists.

CANDIDATE’S STATEMENT:

1. I am a very experienced leader within the leisure industry with strong relationships across central government departments and with the 33 local authorities in the city. I have a well tuned political antennae having completed three parliamentary fellowships during the last four years which involves spending valuable time with members of both Houses.

2. I am an experienced trustee as chair of a small charity and board member for the Women’s Sport and Fitness Foundation – whose mission a nation of active women is clearly aligned to that of CTC.

3. I love the challenge of building relationships and creating items of value which has allowed me to unlock new markets and change behaviour http://www.bbc.co.uk/sportrelief/bigsplash/ http://www.swimmingoffers.org & http://www.splashpath.com

4. I am passionate about people and their relationship to the environment – I cycle daily and spend a large amount of time encouraging others to think before they move. Whether that is encouraging people to use skype to conduct meetings, supporting people when they are starting to cycle to work or volunteering with Southwark Cyclists.

5. I live in Greenwich but work in central London. My day job means that I cycle to leisure facilities in every Borough which has given me a real working ‘knowledge’ of the challenges and opportunities that cycling in London f

6. Working in a membership organisation (Amateur Swimming Association) I am very aware of the challenges of representing the views of active and passive members to take cycling forwards.

7. I have been a CTC member since 2005 and look forward to representing your views on Council.

END
Last edited by CTC London on 17 Nov 2011, 9:04pm, edited 2 times in total.
Philip Benstead
Secretary

Philip Benstead

CTC London Councillors Questions

Postby Philip Benstead » 16 Nov 2011, 8:18am

This is a personal point of view.

Is the promotion of cycling in London not worthily of some comment?

Some may consider this subject is long and pointless, why point less; the election of these Councillors was uncontested. Many on this site complain about the direction of the CTC, all you do is sit and complain, but do nothing. CTC is walking to oblivion.

CTC is a membership organization, its strength is it members, we must learn the tricks of the commercial market, but I do want or need a relationship as I have with my local supermarket, I need to belong, because belonging promotes commitment, and not merely statistic on a balance sheet.

Some may say this contribution may embarrass some committed CTC members, IMHO I may ask how long have they been a members, and what contributions have made to the direction and running of the CTC?

Let gets a debate going about election of CTC Councillor /Directors / Trustees, these are the people that are running the CTC, they do not respond to the threat from British Cycling with it movement into the world cycle campaigning.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclist in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic