Drifting out of membership

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
drossall

Drifting out of membership

Postby drossall » 15 Feb 2012, 11:45pm

I'm hesitant about starting this thread in case it gets highjacked for another pop at head office, which isn't really my point. However, here goes.

I've just had the embarrassment of discovering that our membership lapsed 11 months ago. I'm trying to work out what I did wrong not to spot it. The problem was a failed continuous card charge authority (they fail all the time of course because cards don't last long in these days of fraud). Apparently, the CTC had no phone or email for us, so wrote, and we didn't reply?

Presumably, the magazines weren't arriving. That was what finally did it - someone here mentioned the latest issue, and a friend had one lying around last weekend, so I emailed to ask where our copy was. However, that's five or six issues missed, I assume. Hard to remember, really. If I'm honest, no print magazine is as important to me as they used to be. I like the CTC one, but I don't always get around to reading magazines.

What did keep arriving was emails - CycleClips and the like. This served to maintain the impression of still being part of things. I don't have time to ride with the local group (pity), so they weren't going to challenge me, even if they knew.

I've been telling Audax organisers that I'm a member, and assigning points to the DA, all year. No great harm done - my Audax UK membership hasn't lapsed...

So how would you notice if your membership lapsed? (Again, not an invitation for abuse.)

Alex L

Re: Drifting out of membership

Postby Alex L » 16 Feb 2012, 1:00am

Been a member for a little over a month. I'd notice if they stole 10+ months of me.

Time for a lifetime membership I think ;)

Anyway, if I was emailed I'd notice. Since I don't live at home, I'd probably miss the letter.

Erudin

Postby Erudin » 16 Feb 2012, 1:55am

When I first joined in 2009 I got a membership card with membership number, join date and valid too date. When I renewed last autumn I did not get a new card. With Audax UK you can print off a membership card with membership number and expiry date, perhaps CTC could do the same? For a while the CTC account page has promised to to add more features, at the moment it does not even say when membership expires. If you click on the renew membership link on the CTC account page it will say "You have no memberships that need payment at this time" if membership has not expired.

From http://www.ctc.org.uk/renew and http://www.aukweb.net/members/card/:
Image Attachments
ctc account page.jpg
audax uk membership card.jpg

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 16 Feb 2012, 6:41am

Fortunate that you aren't one of those moaning types who's "only in it for the insurance."

gaz

Postby gaz » 16 Feb 2012, 8:21pm

drossall wrote:I've just had the embarrassment of discovering that our membership lapsed 11 months ago. I'm trying to work out what I did wrong not to spot it. The problem was a failed continuous card charge authority (they fail all the time of course because cards don't last long in these days of fraud). Apparently, the CTC had no phone or email for us, so wrote, and we didn't reply?
What did keep arriving was emails - CycleClips and the like. This served to maintain the impression of still being part of things.

When I first read your post I thought that CycleClips must be available to non-members. But the main site strongly suggests it's members only and that the e-mail database is looked after by the membership department.

Very strange then that they could not send an e-mail about your lapsed membership but could (and did) send you the members only CycleClips by e-mail.

Perhaps it's time to use the Complaints Procedure, perhaps asking them to agree to honour your "continuous membership".
Missing, presumed fed.

meic

Postby meic » 16 Feb 2012, 8:45pm

I am still getting cycleclips to an email address for a membership that expired in September.
I know that membership is cancelled as it will not log in on the website.

Not much point making it members only as it is available as a webpage.
Yma o Hyd

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 16 Feb 2012, 9:01pm

I could imagine the lack of any vigorous reminder procedures being something to do with data protection and whatever boxes were ticked on the relevant application. The "no publicity" option can end up stopping the stuff you might have liked to receive as well as all the garbage you wouldn't want.

drossall

Postby drossall » 16 Feb 2012, 10:43pm

Not really. Membership renewals, election procedures and the like aren't marketing. You can't opt out of them (at least, privacy laws don't give any basis for you to). It would be nonsense if you could join an organisation and opt out of communications about your membership.

Promoting the organisation's activities is different.

gaz

Postby gaz » 17 Feb 2012, 10:44am

meic wrote:Not much point making it members only as it is available as a webpage.

Back issues of Cycle are accessible to members only via a web page: http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=5482
The links rely entirely on your honesty to determine whether or not you are a member, there is no log-in. :roll:

Cycleclips is also accessible to members only via a web page: http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3895
This link actually needs a member log-in, National Office want to keep it's contents secure. :wink:
Missing, presumed fed.

meic

Postby meic » 17 Feb 2012, 2:41pm

However if you are receiving the emails you can just click on the link and get straight in to ALL the cycleclips despite your membership login having been terminated.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=5038

This is for my valid membership, I have deleted the emails for the invalid one but I shall try it when I get the next. Which is tonight, I think.
Yma o Hyd

meic

Postby meic » 17 Feb 2012, 6:33pm

The link is the same for the expired membership

http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=5038
Yma o Hyd

gaz

Postby gaz » 17 Feb 2012, 9:47pm

Oh well, perhaps that's another thing that will be sorted out when the new website arrives. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Missing, presumed fed.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 17 Feb 2012, 10:02pm

drossall wrote:Not really. Membership renewals, election procedures and the like aren't marketing. You can't opt out of them (at least, privacy laws don't give any basis for you to). It would be nonsense if you could join an organisation and opt out of communications about your membership.

Promoting the organisation's activities is different.

In any case, I see that they had no phone or email recorded anyway - presumably the cycleclips must be something you signed up for separately.

The continuous authority for a credit card isn't something I would trust. I've only signed up for one once and I didn't realise I'd done it. (Renewed a well-known make of anti-virus software and did not realise they have the infamous "always on" rip off. When I didn't renew because I had stopped using it they docked me a year's subscription. I eventually sorted it all out but it was a load of grief. It's the only time the trading standards people have been unable to help because it was apparently not a contract made in the UK.)

When membership problems have come up before, I've pointed out that the big crunch would come if somebody's insurance had lapsed and they needed it. Assuming you've not had a potential claim, there's no wrecks and nobody drownded. You've not missed the mags. You don't want to have a pop at CTC membership services and fair enough as it seems they wrote to you anyway. When I've kicked something into touch, one reminder would be one too many for me. (And an unexpected raid on my credit card even more so.)

fatmac

Postby fatmac » 28 Feb 2013, 2:12pm

Thankfully, the club managed to know that I am a member, but lost everything else about me it would seem, when they 'upgraded' the web site & forum (?).

I was going to offer my advice on something, but couldn't get it to accept my login & password. Now I don't remember what the topic was!

A database is a database, its only job is to store data so that it can be retrieved quickly, where did the old database go (?!), with my info, & probably yours too.

I didn't even know that we no longer have D.A.s! Presumably something to do with now being a 'charity'. Who knows what else has changed since we were a 'club'.
Linux since 1999

jezer

Postby jezer » 28 Feb 2013, 2:52pm

Having been a CTC member since 1994 I am no stranger to not receiving the magazine. It has happened two or three times (but only in the last couple of years). I think distribution is handled by an outside contractor, and maybe communication is not what it should be. My sub has always been paid by DD, and the magazine has usually appeared on time for the following issue. The weekly newsletter has always arrived OK, and although I enjoy reading the mag it is pretty much out of date when it appears. Soon be time for Internet only information :?:
Power to the pedals