CTC Cornwall

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
dodger

CTC Cornwall

Post by dodger »

I know there has been at least one attempt to set up a Cornwall group, but in its absence, what's the scope for a Devon and Cornwall group?
Obviously it should be Cornwall and Devon group, though in the circumstances that would be a bit presumptuous!
Are you lovely Devonians up for a Kernow addition?
Do any Cornwall-based members want to join Devon?
(Actually, I'm not sure what local groups actually do, but I'm interested)
diapason

Post by diapason »

As a Devonian exiled in Somerset, I must say I envy you living in Cornwall. I'll certainly be up for joining when we eventually retire and emigrate - preferably to Cornwall :lol:

N
Advena ego sum in Terra
horizon

Post by horizon »

diapason: hmmm, I think I would save your envy until you get here. Lovely county, shame about the hills. As regards a group, they do exist but most "meets" in Devon and Cornwall entail too much travelling to meet for me.
dodger

Post by dodger »

Diapason - don't be put off, the hills are what makes it interesting!
East Anglia is a nice place if you don't like hills but the trouble there is no hills = a bit boring!
Horizon is right on the travelling distances though.
diapason

Post by diapason »

It's pretty hilly where we are too - I think the Tour of Britain are passing close to us on the road to Minehead and on, up Porlock Hill, onto Exmoor. Josie Dew pootled up Porlock on a 20 (great) granny ring - I've not managed it yet :oops:

I've ridden a bit in Cornwall around Penzance last summer. Hope to 'retire' to the Fowey or Helford area in a few years. In the meantime, we make do with holidays when we can escape. But I never get a Sunday off, so I'll never make a club ride (couldn't keep up anyway at my age :cry: )

N
Advena ego sum in Terra
horizon

Post by horizon »

dodger: you're right - I was being unfair to this lovely county. But the hills are often walk-ups for us and that delays us more than anything. And I suppose I do miss southern England.
dodger

Post by dodger »

A Yorkshireman would say that you've gone soft living in the South. Cornwall and Devon excepted!
You are right though; sometimes, knowing that there will be steep hills to climb is a disincentive if the weather is also a bit threatening. Bit like this morning, I should have ridden the 4 miles into Liskeard to get the shopping but, sorry to say, went by car.
Si

Post by Si »

I ws in Cornwall and Devon for several days last week. Forced to use the car to get arouind much to my disgust given the wonderful scenery and multitude of quiet little lanes.

You guys have got it so good down there!

Planning to use the train and folding bike for the next few trips down there as I won't have to cover the whole of the two counties in three days, but will be centred in specific areas for each visit. Just got to sort out some smaller gears now :D
dodger

Post by dodger »

Si You will enjoy it. That's not an order, just a certainty. The coast to coast is well worth doing and for those who like fewer hills, a fair part of it is on old railway tracks from Plymouth to Ilfracombe. You can catch the train to Plymouth and back from Barnstaple to Exeter.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

It's pretty hilly where we are too - I think the Tour of Britain are passing close to us on the road to Minehead and on, up Porlock Hill, onto Exmoor. Josie Dew pootled up Porlock on a 20 (great) granny ring - I've not managed it yet

Hello,
The Tour of Britain are not going up Porlock Hill. They are taking the Toll Road. Apparently the race organizers did not want cycle riders pushing the bike or falling off at the hairpin!
John.
diapason

Post by diapason »

That's disappointing!! I was planning to get there early and grab a spot near the summit! The toll road is a cop out :shock:

N
Advena ego sum in Terra
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks for bringing this thread up to the top. I missed it first time round as I was away.

I agree with Horizon, too much travelling. Thats a problem with Cornwall, it's a long and narrow county. I like the hills though, they're what makes cycling interesting. Flat=boring.

When's this Tour of Britain starting, and what's the route?
Mick F. Cornwall
diapason

Post by diapason »

Tour of Britain:

http://www.tourofbritain.com/therace_st ... _index.asp

As far as Cornish hills go, after last week's (and last month's) experience, I definitely need a new great-granny ring :oops:

N
Advena ego sum in Terra
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ta. It's in my diary!

My gears: Campag Chorus Triple 30/42/53 with a Campag Mirage 9sp cassette 13 - 26

Cornwall? Basic!(Not)

(Puff. Pant ...... )
Mick F. Cornwall
PenzancePirate

Post by PenzancePirate »

I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread, burt just in case ....

A meeting to start the CTC Cornwall local Group will be held on 2 March 2008 at 1100-1300 at China Clay Country Park, Wheal Martyn, Carthew, St Austell, PL26 8XG, tel 01726 850362, http://www.wheal-martyn.com

If you are a CTC member and live in Cornwall, please try to attend if you can.

For further info, or if you will attend, please contact Alex Geen at CTC HQ, Tel 01483 238334, email : Alexandra.geen@ctc.org.uk