Any CTC groups in or around Cannock, South Staffs

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
sore thumb

Any CTC groups in or around Cannock, South Staffs

Postby sore thumb » 28 Jun 2007, 10:05pm

I live near to Cannock in South Staffs and was looking for a club that I would consider local.

Looked at Chase cycling web page/South Staffs DA, however I would not consider any of the club featured on this site part of the Chase.

http://www.chasecycling.co.uk/index.htm

http://www.chasecycling.co.uk/cyclists% ... hire%20D.A.

CTC Sections

Lichfield - Yes in Staffordshire but not what I would consider the Chase

Wombourne - Yes in Staffordshire but again not part of the Chase.

Walsall - No way is Staffordshire more like the West Midlands and in no way part of the chase.

Dudley - Not in Staffordshire so why listed as part of South staffs DA?

Wolverhampton - Not in staffordshire so also why on South Staffs DA?

Stafford - Not sure about this as it looks like it is listed as a contact and not a club.

So to be honest I can only see Wombourne as the only real South Staffs club but still not part of the Chase.

So no clubs in what I would call in the area of the Chase.

I can't understand why the CTC has all these clubs listed for an area of the country where they do not reside. I'm still looking for a CTC club or maybe any cycling club that is really in the Chase/south staffs area.

Si

Postby Si » 29 Jun 2007, 9:55am

I think your comments on both the ChaseCycling site and the CTC are a little unfair.

The ChaseCycling site isn't part of the CTC's site (the CTC lists Walsal as being in the West Midlands). It's a site put together (on a purely voluntary basis I believe) by people who are members of the CTC, and who want to let anybody know where to find CTC sections around that particular area. It's a great resource and many have found it really useful.

I believe that the designation of some older Sections to DAs may stem from the old county system before the instigation of the West Midlands. You'll notice that there is not a West Midlands DA, but a Birmingham and Midland. (although the bit of Walsall near me is South Staffs according to the signage, as was the outlying bit of Wolverhampton when I lived there).

Many of the Sections listed cycle on the Chase hence I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be included. Likewise many people who ride on the Chase don't live on it so they would be interested in knowing where the clubs are around the area.

You are not limitted to riding with only those Sections that are based in your particular town or village so I'd suggest that you give somewhere like Lichfield, only about a quick 5 mile ride from the Chase, a go.

Otherwise you could look into starting your own Section for Cannock but I think you will find that many of the potential recruits from there are already happily riding with an existing Section.

sore thumb

Postby sore thumb » 29 Jun 2007, 9:35pm

It's not my intention to be unfair to the site itself, I am just a little confused if not more so now how the District Associations and sections are organised.

If i go to the CTC main web site and look for the clubs in staffordshire I get Lichfield CTC section, Wombourne CTC section and also South Staffordshire CTC District Association.

So I click on South Staffordshire CTC DA. This then gives me a contact point of the Chase Cycling web site. I then click onto Chase Cycling and then on the left it has South Staffs DA. I then click on this to find South Staffs DA with its sections listed below. As seen here:-

http://www.chasecycling.co.uk/cyclists% ... hire%20D.A.

It lists the sections of South Staffs DA as:-

Walsall
Lichfield
Dudley
Wombourne
Wolverhampton

Only two of the above are in south staffs. I do understand that you say

"It's a site put together (on a purely voluntary basis I believe) by people who are members of the CTC, and who want to let anybody know where to find CTC sections around that particular area.

Its good that they can list all resources including clubs around a particular area but the above sections are listed or appear to be listed as Sections of the South Staffs DA. So are they saying that these sections are part of the South Staffs DA or not. I am a little confused.

You also point out to me

"I believe that the designation of some older Sections to DAs may stem from the old county system before the instigation of the West Midlands. You'll notice that there is not a West Midlands DA, but a Birmingham and Midland. (although the bit of Walsall near me is South Staffs according to the signage, as was the outlying bit of Wolverhampton when I lived there)."

I went to the main CTC site again and found eight links for the West Midlands. These are below

Birmingham & Midland CTC District Association
Birmingham 50 plus CTC Section
Birmingham Southern Wheelers CTC Section
Dudley CTC Section
North Birmingham CTC Section
Southern Birmingham CTC Section
Walsall CTC Section
Western Birmingham CTC Section

As you say there is not a West Midlands DA, but a Birmingham and Midland. So should Wolverhampton, Walsall and Dudley Sections not be in this Birmingham and Midland DA and not in the South Staffs DA.

So as I said I was looking for a CTC club in South Staffs and to be correct there is only two and thats Wombourne and Lichfield and if I was looking for one in the Chase area there would be none.

If I was looking for a club that used the Chase area which could be each week to only a few times of the year then it could be a vast number. I have no problems with any of these resources been listed but this is not what i was after as even to go to lichfield in my car could take me 30 minutes.

To be honest, what i wanted was to go to a club by bike that would not take me too long to get to. So looking at South Staffs there are only two clubs and these to be honest are a little to far to go.

I do not mean to put down the work done on the Chase Cycling web site, even though feel that it would be more usefull if it was called Midland Cycling. I feel I must be a bit new to how the CTC organise itself and maybe I must get used to some of its traditional and historical ways of doing things.

Si

Postby Si » 30 Jun 2007, 12:14pm

I feel I must be a bit new to how the CTC organise itself

:wink: Some might say that that'll be where you are going wrong - assuming that the CTC does organise itself :wink:

To be honest I think that however much we'd like a Section in every town, that currently the numbers of potential CTC members just aren't sufficent for this to be so. However, when I said that you could look to organise your own Section I was being serious - if you can find a few like minded riders near you (adverts on cycling fora such as this and in CYCLE, etc, or even ask Chase Cycling for help) then there is no reason that you shouldn't start up your own little group and either become a CTC Section or a seperate club affiliated to the CTC (thus benefitting from CTC facilities such as insurance), or just a group of friends with common cycling interests that ride together.

Tandemist

Postby Tandemist » 2 Jul 2007, 12:04am

Chase me, Chase me !!! 8)

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 21 Jul 2007, 11:07pm

Most CTC sections are based on where people live, not where they cycle. As most live in large conurbations, that's where the DA's & sections are based.

I would have thought that lots of the surrounding DA's and sections cycle quite regularly on Cannock Chase, if that's what you are looking for. You don't necessarily have to travel to Lichfield to meet them, you could meet them somewhere in the middle if they are riding over your way.

Ru88ell

Postby Ru88ell » 26 Jul 2007, 1:04pm

Si wrote:
To be honest I think that however much we'd like a Section in every town, that currently the numbers of potential CTC members just aren't sufficent for this to be so. However, when I said that you could look to organise your own Section I was being serious - if you can find a few like minded riders near you (adverts on cycling fora such as this and in CYCLE, etc, or even ask Chase Cycling for help) then there is no reason that you shouldn't start up your own little group and either become a CTC Section or a seperate club affiliated to the CTC (thus benefitting from CTC facilities such as insurance), or just a group of friends with common cycling interests that ride together.

Si
How can I get Stourbug listed on the CTC website?

Sore Thumb
I started a group in Stourbridge this year, and we have over 60 members already. This would suggest that Si is wrong to say that each town doesn't have enough potential members. Stourbridge has a population of around 50,000, has one cycling club and a few CTC sections closeby.

If you're interested PM me and I'll let you know how to do it.

FREDDO

CTC GROUPS IN CANNOCK AREA

Postby FREDDO » 5 Oct 2008, 4:49pm

Hi i have only recently joined the forum and saw your post re cycling in the cannock area,i also live near cannock and i am looking for same.

If you would like to discuss the problems we are having or if you wanted to arrange to cycle together i would be interested,send me a PM if you are still interested.

Karen Sutton

Postby Karen Sutton » 6 Oct 2008, 11:22pm

I wonder if these groups being listed in what seems to be the wrong list has anything to do with the demise of South Cheshire/North Staffs DA? I am not totally familiar with the area but presumably CTC had to put those groups who no longer fall within an existing DA area in another area. I'm probably way out on this but if those groups seem to be listed in completely the wrong place this may be why.

Karen Sutton

Postby Karen Sutton » 6 Oct 2008, 11:33pm

Ru88ell wrote:
Si wrote:

Si
How can I get Stourbug listed on the CTC website?

Russell,
CTC doesn't list affiliated Clubs. They are not treated as Member Groups because the members of an affiliated Club don't have to be CTC members and these groups are not required to conform to CTC Group Rules and Policies. There has been talk of listing Affiliated Clubs for some time, but as yet this has not happened. In Manchester & District CTC we dealt with this by having two lists on our website, one of CTC Groups and one of CTC Affiliated Clubs. We also provide guidelines on choosing a group.

The site has been changed condsiderably this week. You can see it at www.cyclingmanchester.org.uk