There's lots going on in SUFFOLK and we need your help!

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
Keith

There's lots going on in SUFFOLK and we need your help!

Post by Keith »

CTC Suffolk is a very active group, and we want to support the various cycling events taking place in the community in Suffolk this summer.
During June there will be family cycling festivals in Woodbridge and Felixstowe, the Tour Series is coming to Ipswich and they'd like us to have a presence at the start, there's a cycling day at the Port of Felixstowe, we've been asked to run an information stand at Folk East (at Glemham Hall).... we'd love to have a CTC presence at all these events, and we will manage some of them, but we need more help.
If you live in our patch and would like to get involved with your local group, even if you don't want to come on rides with us, we would be pleased to hear from you.

Drop me an email, or phone me.
Keith (Hon Sec., CTC Suffolk)
ctc.suffolk@btinternet.com
01473 716771
David Cox

Re: There's lots going on in SUFFOLK and we need your help!

Post by David Cox »

Good to hear about what you are doing over there Keith. I met up and did a short ride with Steward Bethell of Felixstowe Port at the Cycle City Expo conference in Birmingham this week interesting and very active chap - I assume that you know him?
Keith

Post by Keith »

Hi David. I have had correspondence from Stewart re the Port's Cycling Day in June, but it's a Sunday and clashes with our own activities and it's also between two other local cycling festivals, so I don't think we will be able to have a presence at the Port. Of course, if anyone's reading this and would like to help, I'd be pleased to hear from them! Whilst I don't want to turn down opportunities, it is reassuring to see the number of small, local events growing year by year. Keith.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

So now the summer is past, how did the year go?

Were the events a success?

Cheers

LGC
Keith

Post by Keith »

We couldn't resource anything for the Port of Felixstowe, nor the Felixstowe Fun Cycling Day. They were close together at a time when some stalwart members were on holiday. I had no reports about the former but was told that the latter event was very small, with few visitors.

We did support the Woodbridge Family Cycling Festival (in June) with a publicity stand, but for various reasons, the event didn't attract enough visitors and we had less than 20 adult visitors in the day.

We were also invited to the second FolkEast music festival in the grounds of Glemham Hall at the August BH weekend. We had a small presence, in the form of an information stand which was manned for as much time as possible. It attracted some interest but probably not in proportion to the effort of getting the stand there.

As always, we had a small presence at the Mildenhall Rally, in connection with organisation of the Audax rides.

The most successful event was the SkyRide in Ipswich on Sept 8th, a well-supported event where we shared a stand with our associated road club, the Wolsey RC. We had a very good response from an amazing number of cyclists of all ages, shapes and sizes and a continuous flow of yellow bibs for about 3 hours, handing out most of the publicity material we had.

We were also invited to have a stand at the 'Tour Series' pro road race around the town in July but the requirements on us were daft - be set up by 12.00 and you can't leave until 22.00. The period between invitation and the response deadline was very short and I was on holiday for the whole time so we didn't even have chance to respond! I talked to one of the other road club organisers who had a stand, and he said they had very little interest shown by visitors, who'd come to see the racing.

It's difficult to measure the effectiveness of our efforts for the CTC since we have no means of knowing if anyone joined as a result of their visit to our stand. The only measure we have is the number of visitors.
Since it takes quite a bit of effort to prepare for these events, get the stand there and find enough people to man it, we might take a fresh look at what we support in 2014.
Keith

Post by Keith »

nor the Felixstowe Fun Cycling Day....was told that the latter event was very small, with few visitors

I had a chat yesterday with a colleague who was actually involved with the Felixstowe Fun Cycling Day and I must put the record straight, by saying that the organisers only intended this to be on a fairly small scale, and were happy with the attendance. There was a steady stream of people keen to try Cycle Suffolk's WattBikes. Sorry to those involved if I gave the wrong impression.