Duties of the group secretary

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
Keith

Duties of the group secretary

Postby Keith » 1 Oct 2013, 11:50am

From the 2009 edition of the Member Group Handbook
The duties of a Secretary shall include the following:

(a) To convene general meetings in accordance with these Regulations.

(b) To call a special meeting of the group Committee upon receipt of a requisition signed by not less than one third of its members.

(c) To prepare minutes of all committee meetings and AGMs.

(d) To present the Annual Report to the AGM, and to forward a copy to National Office by December 21 each year.

(e) To ensure that the group Treasurer has submitted the Audited group Accounts (which shall include accounts of Member Groups within the hierarchy) to National office by December 21 each year.

(f) To ensure that all committee members, ride leaders, event organisers and any other volunteers are registered as such with CTC National Office.

(g) To liaise with National Office as appropriate and act as a point of contact between National Office and the Group.

From the 2012 edition, items (a) to (e) are unchanged, but thereafter...
The duties of a Secretary shall be to:

o ensure that all Committee members, ride leaders, event organisers and any other volunteers, are registered as such with CTC National Office; and that a Self-declaration Form for those working with children and vulnerable adults is submitted as appropriate;

o ensure that all Member Group officers are aware of and abide by CTC national policies as applicable to Member Groups – an index of these policies is at the end of this document;

o ensure that all Member Group rides and events comply with the requirements of CTC’s policies – an index of these policies is at the end of this document.

o liaise with CTC National Office as appropriate and act as a point of contact between CTC National Office and the Group;

o act as a point of contact between the Group and representatives of any Informal Member Groups connected to the main Group;

o act as a point of contact for CTC members on the CTC website and in ‘Cycle’ magazine.

Spot the differences! In particular the words "are aware of and abide by..." and "all Member Group rides and events comply with..."
I didn't think that was what I was elected to do!

thirdcrank

Re: Duties of the group secretary

Postby thirdcrank » 1 Oct 2013, 1:12pm

If this is causing you stress, please report to your member group's welfare officer.

Si

Postby Si » 1 Oct 2013, 1:34pm

Well, I guess if the group is going to be a member of the CTC then someone has to make sure that the group follows CTC policy. Unless we have yet another officer in each MG: "Enforcer".

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 1 Oct 2013, 3:33pm

I think that the reality is that volunteers are notoriously difficult to manage. In the modern world of policies for everything [litotes] the CTC's historic strength isn't necessarily a benefit. [/litotes]

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 3 Nov 2013, 12:24am

thirdcrank wrote:If this is causing you stress, please report to your member group's welfare officer.

If that wasn't :( :shock: :? :x :cry: :evil: it would be :lol:

Keith

Postby Keith » 3 Nov 2013, 4:07pm

thirdcrank wrote:
If this is causing you stress, please report to your member group's welfare officer.

You may have noticed that I didn't rise to it!