Affiliated Groups and insurance

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
mjr

Re: Affiliated Groups and insurance

Post by mjr »

Bicycler wrote:One CTC affiliate once told me that I needed a helmet on their rides "for insurance reasons". Obviously rubbish, but whether it was an honest mistake or a deliberate lie I can't say. If it is the former and he's a good chairman he should be willing to check with the CTC

The 2016 ride leader handbook does indeed say that CUK rides can turn away riders who aren't helmet users: "Cycling UK advocates freedom of choice as regards the wearing of helmets and hi-viz clothing (https://www.cyclinguk.org/campaigning/v ... -briefings). [...] It is the Ride Leader’s prerogative to refuse anybody on their ride who they deem to be so ill-equipped they may pose a danger to themselves or others but note point above on helmets and hi-viz clothing" - so the rider leader has "freedom of choice as regards the wearing of helmets"! :roll: I know that's only one interpretation of an ambiguous wording which I think is clearly meant to discourage such forcing, but it's one that the forcers use.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I hadn't considered that interpretation before and it is rather worrying.

meic has posted about a Cycling UK Member Group passing a motion at their own AGM mandating plastic hats on their rides and the subsequent rebuttal from National Office.

Ride Leaders are "approved" at local level. If the local committee decided to only approve Ride Leaders who insist on plastic hats ... de facto mandatory plastic hats on rides, seemingly within the current rules.
mjr

Post by mjr »

gaz wrote:I hadn't considered that interpretation before and it is rather worrying.

meic has posted about a Cycling UK Member Group passing a motion at their own AGM mandating plastic hats on their rides and the subsequent rebuttal from National Office.

Ride Leaders are "approved" at local level. If the local committee decided to only approve Ride Leaders who insist on plastic hats ... de facto mandatory plastic hats on rides, seemingly within the current rules.

But even without member groups going rogue, there are already plenty of affiliated groups requiring hard hats while CUK holds its nose and takes the money, saying nothing to try even to persuade them.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Cycling UK explicitly gives affiliated groups the right to mandate helmets in the section of the Ride Leader Handbook you have quoted from.
Bear in mind, however, that other organisations may require riders to use certain items of clothing and equipment: but it is not up to Ride Leaders to promote or otherwise the pros and cons of these

An Affiliated Group can simply mandate plastic hats in it's own rules, Cycling UK only says that Affiliate Ride Leaders should then say "Wear a plastic hat, it's our rules" and must not say "Wear a plastic hat, you're not safe without one" nor indeed "Wear a plastic hat, you're no safer with one but them's the rules".