Affiliated Groups and insurance

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
Bazza55

Affiliated Groups and insurance

Post by Bazza55 »

As a full member of the CTC for many years and actively involved with my local Member Group, I regularly try to convince many non CTC cycling friends to join. Some are in clubs that are affiliated to the CTC. They assume that they receive all the third party insurance benefits that a full member receives so see no point in joining.
Or does the insurance only kick in when the rider is cycling with the affiliated group? If this is the case, many affiliated club members will not be aware and could be cycling uninsured most of the time.
gaz

Re: Affiliated Groups and insurance

Post by gaz »

The activities of CTC Member Groups and CTC affiliated clubs are both covered by CTC Organisers' Liability Cover. However each has a separate policy with different terms: http://www.ctc.org.uk/insurance/event-organiser

Being a member of a CTC affiliated club on it's own does not give an individual any insurance benefits for their own riding, even on club rides.

However for £16 a year a member of a CTC affiliated club can become an individual Affiliated member of CTC, gaining access to individual third party insurance cover: http://www.ctc.org.uk/local-groups/what ... ffiliated-

Members of bodies that affiliate to CTC can obtain our Third Party insurance at a discounted rate, which covers them against any damage or injury they cause whilst riding their bikes, whether with the affiliated body or not.

Individual Affiliated CTC membership is different to direct CTC membership. Affiliated CTC members cannot lead CTC member group rides (although they can take part in as many as they wish), nor vote at CTC member group meetings. There may be other differences, I am not aware of a readily available list.

For Individual Affiliated CTC members and full CTC Members the website links to the same Third Party Insurance pages.

Please note that gaz is not FCA regulated and cannot assess individual needs for insurance. You will not receive advice or recommendations from gaz about them. Read the fact sheet and FAQs on the CTC website carefully to decide which policy suits your requirements. If you are still unsure, ring CTC's brokers directly on 0151 494 4400.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

gaz wrote:Please note that gaz is not FCA regulated and cannot assess individual needs for insurance. You will not receive advice or recommendations from gaz about them.

Gaz I do not know if I should laugh or cry at this, help is needed.

If it is serious to cover yourself then I think crying is appropriate. :cry:

If it is not then thanks for the laugh. :lol:

Ps you forgot to mention other providers are available. :wink:
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
gaz

Post by gaz »

You're right Keith, I forgot that bit :oops: .

I got it right on this one though, including the use of small print and "may contain nuts" :wink: .
sultzer

Post by sultzer »

instead of making a new thread
i was wondering if anyone else can help me

i am a member of a club which is affilated to ctc .
does the ctc insurance have a mileage / time linit attached to it ,
does anyone know of this .

other clubs on here and throughout facebook etc have longer mileage / times .

the main reason i am asking is some of the routes are only 22 miles in length but we are limited to 2hrs so the chairperson who started the group says we have to stick to 2 hrs per insurance

hope this makes sense .
gaz

Post by gaz »

The activities of CTC affiliated clubs are both covered by CTC Organisers' Liability Cover (affiliated clubs version).

Please note that gaz is not FCA regulated and cannot assess individual needs for insurance. You will not receive advice or recommendations from gaz about them. Read the fact sheet carefully to decide whether the policy suits your requirements. If you are still unsure, ring CTC's brokers directly on 0151 494 4400. Other providers are available. Posted on a forum that contains track nuts and cannot be guaranteed track nut free.
sultzer

Post by sultzer »

gaz i cannot find if there was any times or milage
gaz

Post by gaz »

Then ask the chairperson to explain their position and show you the relevant clauses in the insurance documents.

If you are still unsure, ring CTC's brokers directly on 0151 494 4400.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

At the time of posting this, the thread had only 7 replies (this will presumably be no 8 ) but over 10,000 views.

Perhaps this unusually high level of interest in a thread is a clue to the number of members who place a high priority on insurance.
PH

Post by PH »

thirdcrank wrote:At the time of posting this, the thread had only 7 replies (this will presumably be no 8 ) but over 10,000 views.

Perhaps this unusually high level of interest in a thread is a clue to the number of members who place a high priority on insurance.

Perhaps, as in my case, it's an interesting subject but not one many of us have enough knowledge to comment on.
gaz

Post by gaz »

thirdcrank wrote:Perhaps this unusually high level of interest in a thread is a clue to the number of members who place a high priority on insurance.

I won't pretend to understand it but the "views" include visits to the forum by "bots" who have an interest in insurance, the count of real people may be much lower.
sultzer

Post by sultzer »

gaz , i have but he keeps just saying 2 hrs .
just seems it will have to be that then .
thank you for your help
Si

Post by Si »

The insurance for CTC Affiliates doesn't have a time/mileage limit for rides. However, you are limited to 200 riders per ride.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Trick learned from an experienced scout leader: avoid any heated discussion about arrangements with parents by passing off your own decisions as insurance requirements. Your experience counts for nothing but people are accustomed to falling into line with anything written in an insurance policy :roll:

One CTC affiliate once told me that I needed a helmet on their rides "for insurance reasons". Obviously rubbish, but whether it was an honest mistake or a deliberate lie I can't say. If it is the former and he's a good chairman he should be willing to check with the CTC
sultzer

Post by sultzer »

thank you for the replies.
will be sorting it out soon