Havering CTC. Essex or East London?

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
TerryJones

Havering CTC. Essex or East London?

Post by TerryJones »

In 1965, when Havering was formed by joining Romford Council and Hornchurch Council, it became part of Greater London and has been The London Borough of Havering ever since. Why is it that as far as the CTC is concerned, Havering is in Essex, when the Essex boundary stops at Brentwood in the east, and Epping in the north east? Surely it should be renamed to take account of this. Havering Essex it certainly isn't, as Havering residents vote in the London Mayoral elections.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.
mike_dowler

Re: Havering CTC. Essex or East London?

Post by mike_dowler »

When I moved to the area, I would always correct any suggestion that I was moving to Essex - no, it's the London Borough of Havering. As my brother pointed out, though, that doesn't hold much water when you are talking about the famous "non-Essex town" of Romford.

It may no longer be under the control of Essex County Council, but you only have to cycle past Wetherspoons in a Thursday night to know you are still in Essex.
TerryJones

Post by TerryJones »

Wetherspoons on a Friday or Saturday night is the same anywhere. Most of Essex is rural, and therefore picturesque. Silly programmes like TOWIE give an entirely false representation of the county.
Havering, as you point out, is a LONDON borough, and therefore NOT in Essex. Why are the Havering group part of the Essex CTC?
A closed mouth gathers no foot.
mr_cellophane

Post by mr_cellophane »

Just because it is a "London borough" doesn't mean it is not "in" Essex. Even Redbridge Council think they are in Essex. Just look at the addresses on their web site. An artificial administrative boundary does not make a geographic location.
London boroughs are those with a post code that starts E, N, NW, W, SE, SW, WC, EC !
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Does it matter? I think it is more an indication of affiliation and where they ride than whether they consider Havering to be a London borough? Other Essex member groups are probably easier to get to, as well.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom