Speed of CTC section rides

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
fatboy

Speed of CTC section rides

Postby fatboy » 28 Nov 2007, 3:17pm

I'm contemplating going out on a ride with my local CTC section. They categorise their rides into four.

A, over 56 miles faster. B, 40-55 miles moderate. C, 25-39 miles slower. D, up to 24 miles gentle.

Is this a "standard" CTC ride rating? The ride that I'm considering is a C which is classed as a 25-39 slower. My question is what does slower mean? I'll drop the leaders a line but I just wondered if there was a standard definition of this.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly

bikegeek

Postby bikegeek » 28 Nov 2007, 4:53pm

I'd be interested to know too. Whats the average speed difference between an A and B ride?
When I go on ctc rides the group usually goes at the speed of the slowest rider & they wait at the top of hills for everyone to catch up. If you're really struggling, there's always someone who will stay with you even if the rest of the group does go on ahead at a faster pace. They stop at nearly every hole in the hedge for a cuppa anyway, so I don't think you'll get dropped or be suffering at the end. (maybe sloshy belly from all the tea, but that's nowt).
As its your first one it's good that you are trying the easier ride. If its too easy then do the A or B ride the following week.
"There's room for all of us on the road you know, you'll just have to take that bit of room behind me!"

gaz

Postby gaz » 2 Jan 2008, 8:59pm

There's no standard.

It's some years since I did any regular riding with my own DA but it has about 15 sections offering a huge variety of rides varying in length, content and pace but even within the DA there's little consistency in how rides are described between different sections. That's to say the descriptions on the runs list are the same but what they mean in practice can vary somewhat.

Many years ago as a section secretary I introduced a system to describe our own rides A-E according to anticipated mileage and pace, expecting other sections to follow. No one did.

Contact the leader or section secretary for advice but I'm sure you won't be left behind.
There'll be tarmac over, the white cliffs of Dover ...

Peter Rowell

Postby Peter Rowell » 4 Jan 2008, 7:56am

Hi Fatboy,
I notice that you are in North Hertfordshire. If this is Royston or nearby, then you are in the Cambridge D.A. area. The Sunday afternoon rides (starting at Cambridge) would be the most suitable for a beginner, or Sunday all day for experienced riders. If you are retired there are the Tuesday rides or Thursday rides, Tuesdays are easier. See our website http://www.ctc-cambridge.org.uk
Cambridge D.A. Webmaster

glueman

Postby glueman » 8 Jan 2008, 3:12pm

Years ago when I rode regularly with a DA in flattish country they aimed to average about 12mph. That doesn't sound a lot given the terrain but food breaks were short which meant 50 miles in the shortest winter days to 120 miles in summer, a not inconsiderable mileage at potterers pace.

georgew

Postby georgew » 8 Jan 2008, 3:36pm

Whatever the categorisation of the rides, surely the important thing is that the group rides at the pace of the slowest member with the group leader enforcing this. Or has this practice been abandoned in the CTC.

glueman

Postby glueman » 8 Jan 2008, 4:03pm

georgew wrote:Whatever the categorisation of the rides, surely the important thing is that the group rides at the pace of the slowest member with the group leader enforcing this. Or has this practice been abandoned in the CTC.

This has long been a bone of contention. Let's say your local section consisted of half a dozen audax hardened riders who enjoyed one another's company. It wouldn't be fair to ask them to compromise their pleasure so that one less fit individual can join the group.
As a one-off it is reasonable for a group member to peel off and accompany someone who is struggling and if a newbie were determined enough to seriously suffer it's only reasonable that the group temporarily adapt to acommodate them. Long term a cycling group shouldn't need to change its whole ethos.
The answer surely, is for more splinter sections to satisy diverse aspirations, something that isn't always evident.

Lawrie9

Postby Lawrie9 » 24 Jan 2008, 9:04am

Sounds a bit technical. The problem with these group rides is that you will always get the speed merchants tearing off and the group getting strung out.

glueman

Postby glueman » 24 Jan 2008, 10:58am

Lawrie9 wrote:Sounds a bit technical. The problem with these group rides is that you will always get the speed merchants tearing off and the group getting strung out.

Depends on your pov. The chaps at the front might moan about the dawdlers who can't be bothered to dig in and keep the group together. That's why the member groups initiative is a good idea, you can ride with who you want at a pace that suits you and still have CTC back-up.

byegad

Postby byegad » 27 Jan 2008, 9:51am

glueman wrote:This has long been a bone of contention. Let's say your local section consisted of half a dozen audax hardened riders who enjoyed one another's company. It wouldn't be fair to ask them to compromise their pleasure so that one less fit individual can join the group.
As a one-off it is reasonable for a group member to peel off and accompany someone who is struggling and if a newbie were determined enough to seriously suffer it's only reasonable that the group temporarily adapt to acommodate them. Long term a cycling group shouldn't need to change its whole ethos.
The answer surely, is for more splinter sections to satisy diverse aspirations, something that isn't always evident.

I understand absolutely the sentiments posted by glueman, that an established group of 'hard riders' can not be expected to slow for a weaker newbie.
In the days when almost all DAs had several sections this was easily solved as next week the newbie could ride with a slower group.
Unfortunately many DAs do not now exist save for the harder riders so joining a club run for the first time is far harder for a newbie. Yes I know tht many DAs still have several groups riding regularly, but equally many don't.
Hopefully slower riders will now be able to form members groups from a slightly wider area and attract new riders.
Some time ago the question was asked in Cycle, 'What do you say to a keen 16yr old girl who turns up on an MTB for a club run?' Hopefully soon we will be able to say that there is a Members Group for you.

tina

Postby tina » 27 Jan 2008, 12:20pm

If you are in North Hertfordshire - you may be joining our group rides. We have various rides.

Very easy D are staurday afternoons. We ride at the pace of the slowest rider on these.

Easy D are Wednesday evenings. These are topped and tailed. Any slower rider will be looked after.

Sunday rides usually only have a designated leader. Generally C's are paced to suit those that turn up. B's will 'look after a newbie'. But expect no mercy on an A! The leaders will have a plan and will be reluctant to slow the pace too much for fear of getting back in the dark!

Hope that helps.

Tina.
Cycle training: www.cycleinstructor.co.uk
Sport Stevenage:www.sportstevenage.co.uk
CTC:www.stevenagectc.org.uk