Member Groups & Affiliated Clubs

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
robgul

Member Groups & Affiliated Clubs

Post by robgul »

For CTC Member Groups (as in "Sections" in old money) & CTC Affiliated Clubs/Groups does anyone know :

- how many of each type there are?
- how many new ones of each type have been formed in the last 12 months?
- the number of Affiliated club members that are in turn CTC Individual Affiliates?

... just curious

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
gaz

Re: Member Groups & Affiliated Clubs

Post by gaz »

There appear to be around 115 CTC Member Groups*. I'm confident this list refers only to Formal Member Groups (A mix of DAs and some Sections in old money). Some of those Formal Member Groups will have Informal Member Groups attached (Sections), I've no suggestions on how to find numbers.

There appear to be around 690 CTC Affiliated Groups*.

I've no idea of the change in numbers for either type over the last 12 months, nor the number of individual CTC Affiliated memberships.

* Source: http://www.ctc.org.uk/local-groups (select relevant type of CTC Group and delete distance)
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
gaz

Post by gaz »

I just thought I'd revisit this thread and review the numbers two years on (same source).

112 Cycling UK Member Groups. I've still no way to measure numbers of Informal Member Groups within that figure.

1006 Cycling UK Affiliated Groups. Inlcudes campaign groups who may/may not organise led rides.

It is clear where the growth is.
PH

Post by PH »

gaz wrote:I just thought I'd revisit this thread and review the numbers two years on (same source).

112 Cycling UK Member Groups. I've still no way to measure numbers of Informal Member Groups within that figure.

1006 Cycling UK Affiliated Groups. Inlcudes campaign groups who may/may not organise led rides.

It is clear where the growth is.

That’s interesting stuff gaz, MGs down from 115 to 112, not quite the exodus some predicted. The informal/formal distinction is more an administrative thing than something practical. The restructuring of DAs was before this period but would of skewed the figures, mine used to be three formal groups and is now one formal and two informal. It's a lot less admin, with one committee and accounts rather than three, but otherwise no one would know the difference.
It'd be interesting to know a breakdown of affiliated clubs and to have an idea why they're joining. I'm sure in a lot of cases it'll be for the insurance and so their members can get the affiliated membership, whatever the reason I see it as a good thing.
If someone was starting from scratch it’s hard to see why they’d choose the MG route, though there is more support for groups from National Office than in there has been for some time, just look at how much better they're promoted on the new website. I don’t know how much of that is also available to affiliates.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I do feel that the ommision of informal MGs from the data is significant.

My local MG currently has 15 informal groups. 14 of those could "wind up" without any change to the number of MGs on the database. OTOH if any of them break away as a new formal MG it adds one to the list.

Nevertheless those are the only figures I have.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

robgul wrote:
... just curious

Rob

Really ... I dont suppose your planning to target them for your new Cycle Touring Club .... are you :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
PH

Post by PH »

gaz wrote:I do feel that the ommision of informal MGs from the data is significant.

My local MG currently has 15 informal groups. 14 of those could "wind up" without any change to the number of MGs on the database. OTOH if any of them break away as a new formal MG it adds one to the list.

Nevertheless those are the only figures I have.

Sorry, I assumed the informal groups were included in those figures. Is that not the case? The informal group I ride with is still I understand registered as a member group.
If that were the case there must have shown a significant fall in the number of groups when the DA structure changed, in all of those I've had any dealings with at least one of the MGs became informal.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Informal MGs can only exist as a satellite of a Formal MG. The MG Policy Handbook, pages 3, 4, 7 & 8.

Based on a few searches of the list using details of local Informal MGs the database only contains Formal MGs.