What Can Be Done to Increase Participation?

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
Bmblbzzz

Re: What Can Be Done to Increase Participation?

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Rob, thanks for your reply. "I don't know" is also an answer. :D

I did write a long reply to your "Why are you a CTC member?" question but the software ate it. :( Basically I was introduced to the CTC as a teenager by an LBS, liked the idea but never rode with them till recently (almost 30 years later :shock: ). Riding with the local group is the main reason I renew.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Rob, thanks for your reply. "I don't know" is also an answer. :D

I did write a long reply to your "Why are you a CTC member?" question but the software ate it. :( Basically I was introduced to the CTC as a teenager by an LBS, liked the idea but never rode with them till recently (almost 30 years later :shock: ). Riding with the local group is the main reason I renew.

That's the ONLY reason that I belong (for the moment) to CTC - to ride with a great group of friends.

I was a member for a few years back in the 1960s but IIRC that was some link up with the YHA group that I belonged to - I rejoined in about 2001 (and then as a result of the dire membership admin when CTC outsourced it and cancelled my membership in mid-2012 I rejoined again in 2012 as a "new" member)

Now that the Affiliate rate of subscription is almost the same as the Old Codger rate I expect to use the TP insurance I have with my household policy and forego CTC "benefits" when it comes to renewal.

Rob

>> the software probably lost your reply as there is a limit on the number of quotes that can be in a message reply.
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Ron

Post by Ron »

Psamathe wrote:I do wonder if pushing group rides as an activity is the way to encourage many to take-up cycling.

I doubt it, and wish MGs would get more involved in campaigning both locally and nationally.
If our road network were to become more cycle friendly then the numbers of people cycling would soon increase. This would in turn provide a bigger pool of people from which MGs could attract participants towards their group cycling activities.
Euskadi

Re: RE: Re: What Can Be Done to Increase Participation?

Post by Euskadi »

Mick F wrote:
TerryJones wrote:Why do members choose not to participate?
Because I like riding alone.
Maybe I'm not the only one who likes riding alone?

Me too
al_yrpal wrote:Whats needed is something to get members there just once and hopefully some will like it and turn up regularly. So, once every 8 weeks people who have never come on a ride should get an email inviting them on a special ride - a choice of a short one and a longer more testing one. There should perhaps be a leader and two regular riders in each group, no more than 8 strong so every new rider gets a chance to meet regulars. These rides shouldnt be intimidating, they should be welcoming. Some people might feel quite shy or intimidated by an established group but feel more comfortable in a new group composed of first timers. Even a ladies only one perhaps occasionally to get things started. A few group photographs of the people they can look forward to riding with and some anecdotes in the email or letter would be good.

Al

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-A300FU using hovercraft full of eels.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

For me nowadays, cycling is largely a social activity, I ride to meet up with my club mates and friends. I have ridden with the CTC in the past but have not done so for a number of years. CTC rides seem to take all day. The last one I did was 80 miles, we met at 9am and we left them at 4pm to ride home, as they were stopping for afternoon tea and we needed to get back. I'm not sure that they actually need 3 tea stops, and it's the tea drinking and eating that seems to take up a lot of the time. I simply can't spare the time to be out all day with the CTC.

I go out with my local club, we are out for 3-3.5 hours and get 50 miles in, leaving the afternoon free for other tasks.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com